Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? Empty
PostSubject: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 4:53 pm

I have an 8GB flash drive that I use to store stuff temporarily until I can get it to my external drive or home computer (which I don't have anymore since it died).  I plugged it in to update a bill/finance excel spreadsheet that I update to keep track of my finances and such.  Whenever I try to open it it get a message that "The disk in the drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" 
My choices are yes or no.  If I select no, it won't do anything (won't open, nothing).  I certainly don't want to select yes and have it wipe out my flash-drive.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Tried it on two different computers (one XP, the other Windows 7) with the same results.

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Sounds like it may be corrupted or it lost its formatting.  It's just a memory stick and they do fail.  I had one do the same thing to me a few years ago.

This may help:  http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks.
Yeah, I think the thing is probably corrupted.  I have everything except for one file backed up in other locations so it wasn't a huge deal.  Spent over 2 hours researching and going through a tutorial for a free recovery program....realized it would have just been easier to spend 45 minutes recreating the lost portion of the spreadsheet (so that's what I did)....what a hassle.
I was supposed to be working today and I have wasted half of my time with this thing. Arrghh!

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 8:23 pm

I too have had this happen on many different storage types, from flash to portable HDDs.

Don't know what kind of hope I can send your way on this problem... only one of my HDDs resurrected itself after trying it on several different PCs, letting it sit for several months in a drawer, then plugging it in my new laptop -voila ! It suddenly started again. Been using it ever since (not for anything important though !) - So perhaps just keep trying it on different computers ?  I tried all the online tips and tricks on youtube and such... no luck. So, hope it works again for ya Sad
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 10:58 am

Jim's HDD recovery was simply a miracle. He got very lucky. I'd never use it again once I got my stuff off of it.

Flash drives (whether thumb or SSD) are a different animal and are more likely to catastrophically fail when they finally do fail unlike many traditional HDD failures. There are various recovery programs out there you can try, which it seems you have done.

So far I've had both a traditional HDD and an SD card catastrophically fail, but my increasing using of flash ones will surely alter that statistic.

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Gladly there was only one document that wasnt backed up elsewhere.  The time I spent recreating it was shorter than my attempts to recover the drive. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?   Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did I Lose All The Stuff On My Flash Drive?
Page 1 of 1