Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back

Go down 
+2
metaldude
messiaen77
6 posters
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back Empty
PostSubject: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 12:54 am

Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 9:32 am

Uh, ok?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 am

13 minutes?  More like 10 seconds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 11:24 am

Xid wrote:
13 minutes?  More like 10 seconds.

Ditto.

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 11:33 am

I don't understand why people create stuff like that.  What's the point?  They must wake up one day and say, "Today I'm going to make a pile of garbage and put it on display in the name of creativity".
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 pm

He was experimenting with phase shifting.  You take the same audio clip and put it on two channels, then you make a slight alteration to the speed of one of the channels so that the two slip out of synch with each other.  Given enough time, the two parts are so out of synch that they cease to be words and just become sounds.  If you do a "drop the needle" around 10 minutes or so you can see the effect this eventually produces.  As far as minimalism goes, I prefer others, but Reich has some interesting ideas.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 pm

I'll stick with Phillip Glass Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Interesting.

I don't think it's trash or stupid, but given my wife's own opinion about something like this, I can see where people wouldn't like it.

Philip Glass is interesting as well.

me77 and TTDR, what do you guys think of John Cage's 4'33"? I actually heard it live once and it was... terrific.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Yeah, I like Glass, John Adams, Terry Riley.  I like 4'33".  I like how uncomfortable it makes people.  I like it when people challenge conventional ideas about music (maybe that's why I dig extreme metal).  I mean, I don't listen to this stuff all the time, but when the mood strikes I'll whip it out.  Of course I do love when I get to a place where I can play it in class.  I did a guest lecture in my wife's Race & Ethnicity class where I softened them up with a little Louis Armstrong and some Charlie Parker before hitting them with a double dose of Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz" and Coltrane's "Om".
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 am

I'm wiht you me77. I enjoy the musical part as well as the lyrical part. Some of my favorite artists play music that may or may not be groundbreaking but lyrically, they're pushing what's supposed to be expected (this is especially true in Christian music).
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm

As a music history (my minor was in Music History), I respect John Cage and his contributions.  But it's never been my favroite.  One of my favorite Philip Glass pieces is "Floe" from Glassworks.  I was fortunate to go see Glass' The Making of the Representative for Planet 8 at the Houston Grand Opera for its debut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back   Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here's 13 minutes you'll never get back
Page 1 of 1