Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just a question...and maybe a rant, too

Go down 
+9
Driven
Staybrite
topshot rhit
LRW
Samson
Xid
Guilty/Forgiven
Redeemed Fool
alldatndensum
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Just a question...and maybe a rant, too Empty
PostSubject: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Whenever someone talks to us and is just bouncing ideas around, do we just tell them to "pray and seek God's face" when we really don't know what to say?  Or, is it a control measure that is supposed to make that person feel guilty for wanting to do something different so that they don't do whatever they propose?  Has the term "pray about it" really become a bastardized cliche that just makes us feel spiritual for suggesting it to someone?  Why is it that I get infuriated when someone tells me to pray about something as though I haven't already done so?

OK, my pissy mood is over now and I will go find something else more productive to do than just whine on my message board.  Thank you, friends, for hearing me out.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/

Last edited by alldatndensum on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Oftentimes people don't know what to say so they resort to christian cliches but I don't think they mean any harm. I think it's the easy way out but unless people are really close to me i'm not sure what else I expect them to say.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I actually think the phrase "Pray about it" isn't any different than:

"16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?"
James 2:16

Personally we Christians are too worldized to DO SOMETHING for the person we say "you need to pray about it"
I mean follow that statement with "but is there anything I can do ?? Cuz I'd love for God to USE me to bless you"
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Giving somebody "happy thoughts" doesn't do anything.  Prayer is a tool that we, as believers have.  I'm sure some people may use it as a cop out.  And it all depends on the situation.  If somebody asks for food why would the response be to pray about it?  On the other hand if somebody is asking for advice about a relationship or a business decision the best thing may be for them to pray about it rather than get bad advice from another.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 pm

I think we do the same thing when we say that we will pray for someone with no intention of ever following through.  Wouldn't it be better, if someone asks us to pray, to stop what we are doing right then and pray?

Something else I get my tail feathers ruffled over:  when you have a problem or opportunity and you're confused as to the direction God wants you to go.  Someone then comes up and either says they have a word from the Lord about it but cannot share it with you.  Really?  Then why bring it up?  Or, someone will say, "The Lord spoke to me about this."  OK, you want to share it?  Keeping it to yourself means nothing.  Ok, maybe I haven't heard from the Lord about this yet. Maybe you are supposed to tell me.  Or, maybe you're just blowing smoke out of your posterior in order to look more holy than the rest of us.  I've had both situations happen on numerous occasions.

Sometimes I think that we Christians are the most fake in the world.  We want to look good, but do we really follow Jesus all the way?  Do we really desire to know Him?  If we did, wouldn't that mean sowing into the lives of others just as He did?  I don't think we can really understand Jesus at all if we aren't giving up our time and investment in other people.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

While we're on the subject let me vent.
People come up to me at church and ask how i'm doing. Instead of saying in the 30 seconds we have; I'm exhausted from my sleep apnea and the time change is killing me and my job is pretty rough right now with three of our boys being complete asses. I say, alright and get this response. You don't sound very convincing.  Shocked 
But again, I realize people aren't thinking and are giving programmed answers so I try to be gracious.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm blessed to have a church that doesn't just go through the motions like so many here have mentioned. We ain't perfect, but we do the best we can with the tools that we have been given.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm

I am not just talking about in my church.  These things I am ranting about have happened to me by people that I work with, go to church with or did years ago, people that I am related to, people I've met on Facebook and message boards, and sometimes even new people that I've just met.

Back to top Go down
LRW

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Way WAY too much honesty in one thread... kind of refreshing, really.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:59 pm

And I sound like i'm whining in my post. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:31 pm

LRW wrote:
Way WAY too much honesty in one thread... kind of refreshing, really.

Amen ! I love it !!!  Rockin'
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Whine away, my friend.  This thread is for honesty.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Why is it that I get infuriated when someone tells me to pray about something as though I haven't already done so?
I for one thought it was rather rude of them to imply you hadn't prayed about it.

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
Why is it that I get infuriated when someone tells me to pray about something as though I haven't already done so?
I for one thought it was rather rude of them to imply you hadn't prayed about it.

Ditto

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:51 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Exactly!  I am glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I think we do the same thing when we say that we will pray for someone with no intention of ever following through.  Wouldn't it be better, if someone asks us to pray, to stop what we are doing right then and pray?

I have to do this pretty much every time. When I say I am going to pray from someone I usually stop everything and pray for them right then and there....cause if I don't it's almost guaranteed that I will forget.

alldatndensum wrote:

Something else I get my tail feathers ruffled over:  when you have a problem or opportunity and you're confused as to the direction God wants you to go.  Someone then comes up and either says they have a word from the Lord about it but cannot share it with you.  Really?  Then why bring it up?  Or, someone will say, "The Lord spoke to me about this."  OK, you want to share it?  Keeping it to yourself means nothing.  Ok, maybe I haven't heard from the Lord about this yet. Maybe you are supposed to tell me.  Or, maybe you're just blowing smoke out of your posterior in order to look more holy than the rest of us.  I've had both situations happen on numerous occasions.

I've had people tell me that the Lord told them to share something with me. My first response is really? How did God tell you this, did he speak to you out loud in the shower? I'm not saying that God doesn't lead people to do things, but every time I hear someone say something like "The Lord wanted me to tell you...." my B.S. detector goes off. Just once I want to tell that person, "But the Lord just told me 2 minutes ago to tell you to shut up." (okay, maybe not funny but still)

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Quote :
I've had people tell me that the Lord told them to share something with me. My first response is really? How did God tell you this, did he speak to you out loud in the shower? I'm not saying that God doesn't lead people to do things, but every time I hear someone say something like "The Lord wanted me to tell you...." my B.S. detector goes off. Just once I want to tell that person, "But the Lord just told me 2 minutes ago to tell you to shut up." (okay, maybe not funny but still)

Yes.  I've wanted to do the same thing.  I think that we'd be more likely to receive something from someone who we know truly cares about us and is wanting to help.  Too many times, I feel that people just want to control a situation, make themselves look more godly, or just throw out stuff without thinking through what they say.  I say this knowing that I have done the exact same thing.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Has the term "pray about it" really become a bastardized cliche that just makes us feel spiritual for suggesting it to someone?

Yes. Yes, it has.

I'm thankful, too, to go to a church that doesn't pretend to be holier-than-thou. People, in leadership and in the congregation, are genuine. If people say they will pray about something, they usually will.

Personally, I struggle with prayer, and I know that, so I'll be honest and not say "oh I'll pray for that/keep that in my prayers" when someone has a prayer request, because I usually end up not praying about it. Wrong, I know, but I don't know how to pray.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Prayer is just like talking to any of your close buddies. Nothing fancy or magical about it.

Oh, BTW Alldat, the Lord wanted me to tell you to axe the FB group.  Wink 

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:57 pm

topshot wrote:
Prayer is just like talking to any of your close buddies. Nothing fancy or magical about it.
That is my approach as well, only I try to keep from calling God "dude".

topshot rhit wrote:

Oh, BTW Alldat, the Lord wanted me to tell you to axe the FB group.  Wink 

lol! 

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 4:46 pm

And I never ask my buddies hallowed be their name or to have their kingdom come. I'm not sure I agree with that, approaching the maker of the universe should bring some awe with it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 6:30 pm

I think it should bring some awe, but He also wants us to come boldly before the throne of grace.  I think there is a balance between praying in 1611 KJV English and sounding like a rap star saying, "Yo, yo, JC!  Wazzup!"

Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Yeah, I get that. I'm not addressing him as Daddy though, just feels too informal somehow. Maybe it's just me.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm

I don't see a problem with that.  When the Bible talks about our spirit crying, "Abba, Father", the term "abba" actually means daddy.  It's supposed to be a more comfortable intimate term than just father.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 am

Totally on board with ya alldat, although sometimes I'm so dense that it really hasn't occurred to me to pray about things.  Related to the immediate subject that may have sparked this rant/question, it also bugs me when people encourage you to seek the Lord's guidance and purpose because your ideas and your plans don't fit their agenda.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a question...and maybe a rant, too   Just a question...and maybe a rant, too I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a question...and maybe a rant, too
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next