Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics

Go down 
+2
ishmael81
Guilty/Forgiven
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics Empty
PostSubject: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Please help me add to this thread -
Mainstream Pop/Rock songs over the years have philosophies that sound great on the surface, but when examined with a little common sense and Biblical wisdom, do not hold water.

I'll start with a couple - see if you can think of anymore to add to this:

A woman can never set a man free - and free from what anyways ?

Following or trusting your heart sounds great and is what a lot of people do: people like Manson, Hitler, Richard Ramirez, Ted Bundy and many more who stayed true to their own hearts.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 3:46 pm

This may start a firestorm but I've never liked the Beatles for this reason.  A lot of their songs sound good at first but when I look closer... not so much...

For instance, is love all you really need? (Some would say yes because God is love, but this obviously isn't what Lennon and McCartney were referring to - they were/are both atheists.)
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Are there still 2 beatles left ? I thought all but McCartney kicked off.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Yes, still two left.  Paul is touring right now, Ringo is still working at White Castle.  (Ok, seriously, he just turned 73 and is apparently still performing and writing books.)
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 pm

To the topic of the thread:  never trade convenience for commitment, so it you can't be with the one you love, wait until you can.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Agreed !! That song sounds great, but the lyrics are SO wrong.

Howabout that one in the 80s called Secret Lovers ?  Song goes to the top of the charts, yet the song was celebrating adultery ! There's been more than a few pop songs that sing about how great an extra-marital affair would be - ummmm, no, it's not as glorious as they make it out to be.
What the songs don't tell you is, it always ends in ugly divorce, STDs, and in some cases murder.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Ooh I got a good one ! Howabout Metallica's hedonistic philosophy of "do whatever you want, who cares" (can't remember the name of the song, but they basically say F you over and over to anyone who says you have to live by any rules)...... THEN they get all up in arms and start suing people for downloading their music ! LOL
So that's another great example of a mainstream song that "sounds like a good idea", but the preachers of that very philosophy got pissed when their fans took them up on their words. haha ! idiots.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 pm

I saw this and thought of this thread

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 10:51 am

^ LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 am

In how many songs does someone spout "You are my life" to their lover?

Nice sentiment...but if that person is your life then you are in BIG trouble. Earthly love for someone doesn't constitute that you should make them the center of your universe. That's how people fall apart so bad when things go wrong.

That person should be "an important part" of their life...not their life.

Unless it's Jessica Alba or Alyssa Milano..THEN it's ok to make that person your life..
I love you 

kidding....unless I could I have BOTH of them...lol
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am

^ another LOL

What Teenage boy didn't have dreams about Alyssa Milano in the 80s (and I'm sure some of those 80s teens are still having dreams about her today Laughing  )

common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics 220px-Milanoalbum
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:59 pm

I agree b4l but then the lyrics would be something like "You are an important aspect of my life, but not my whole life, but I still love you a whole lot, but you aren't my everything..."

Not exactly slow-dance-song material...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
I agree b4l but then the lyrics would be something like "You are an important aspect of my life, but not my whole life, but I still love you a whole lot, but you aren't my everything..."

Laughing I can just see someone playing that at their prom...or wedding.

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Maybe I should write that song all the way.  It'll be called "Important Aspect (Your Love Makes Me Happy, Usually)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
^ another LOL

What Teenage boy didn't have dreams about Alyssa Milano in the 80s (and I'm sure some of those 80s teens are still having dreams about her today Laughing  )

common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics 220px-Milanoalbum

ok..now i feel like a perv...thanks g/f...Shocked 

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:32 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Laughing I can just see someone playing that at their prom...or wedding.

Hey..you never know! I bet MIT school dances could be like that
study
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Heard another one today:

"Just let the music set you free"

Free from what ? Sounds kinda creepy, like someone trying to hypnotize you with music...

Howabout this song: "Give me the beat boy and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your Rock and Roll..."

All this music "freeing" people and their souls... hmmm Laughing
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I dunno, I think music can free us from our own cages and inhibitions.

This is kinda fun to do, but realistically, who above the age of 15 draws their life philosophy from pop song lyrics?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 am

messiaen77 wrote:
I dunno, I think music can free us from our own cages and inhibitions.

This is kinda fun to do, but realistically, who above the age of 15 draws their life philosophy from pop song lyrics?

Several teenage girls, and some teenage guys. Thankfully, I am not one of those guys… I build my philosophy from Christian songs and the scriptures… Razz

Oh, and "Important Aspect" - that is a GREAT idea. I should get someone to sing that at my wedding, if I ever have one. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Heard one today -
"I'd drive a million miles to be with you tonight"

Um, If she was a million miles from you, what kind of vehicle or spacecraft would you be using to travel a million miles to get to a location THAT SAME NIGHT ?

(I know I know... "poetic")
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm

"and I would walk 5000 miles and I would walk 5000 more..."
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:38 pm

unworthy wrote:
"and I would walk 5000 miles and I would walk 5000 more..."
Hey let's not exaggerate....it was only 500 miles at a time he was willing to walk. lol! 

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Heard one today -
"I'd drive a million miles to be with you tonight"

Um, If she was a million miles from you, what kind of vehicle or spacecraft would you be using to travel a million miles to get to a location THAT SAME NIGHT ?

(I know I know... "poetic")
Kind of makes the "climb the highest mountain, swim the deepest sea" thing seem like peanuts huh?

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Bon Jovi once said "I'd even die for you".... but I think when it came down to it, I believe old Jovi would pause for a second and say.... NAHHHH! Never mind.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 pm

I like what Meatloaf said in one of his songs...

"I'd lie for you and that's the truth.. do anything you want me to do.. I'd even sell my soul for you.. I'd do it all for you.."
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics   common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

common misconceptions in pop/rock lyrics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next