Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skillet - Rise

Go down 
+3
Guilty/Forgiven
alldatndensum
ChosenOne
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 pm

So bought this today. From what I have gotten the chance to listen to, gotta say this thing is really good. Pretty heavy in most parts of the album. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. It rocks and its Skillet.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm

I ordered it from Amazon today on CD.  I have the downloads too as it had that automatic download feature with it.  I've only heard three songs so far, but I like what I am hearing.

I do miss the old drummer.  The new one can sing nicely, but her drumming is rather uninspired.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 am

When it comes to Skillet, just like Picachu, gotta collect em all. I'll be getting this one.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 pm

I talked to my brother about it yesterday. He's disappointed with the lack of solos. Then again, this is modern rock…
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I picked up the deluxe edition when I was out shopping yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to listen to the music, but I watched most of the live dvd that came with it.  According to the "Making of Rise" section on the DVD they had written some 70 songs for the album before the actual recording.  John also stated that because of the guitar tones the album was going to sound heavier than the last few.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Will order "Rise" when I'm backt at the end of next week.
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm

I've pretty much listened to this non-stop today. It is really really good. It does seem heavier then some of the songs off of Awake. The little guitar solo at the beginning of Circus For A Psycho is really good. I've read in reviews and after listening to it, the last 4 or 5 songs on the album could've fit nicely on the worship album. Their faith really shines thru lyrically on this album.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I am liking this, but does anyone else think that they need a better drummer? 

I loved the couple of guitar solos they threw in.  Nice touch!  Also, that shows that the new guitarist can handle any of the songs they've recorded previously.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:38 pm

I don't mind Jen. I think she is pretty good. I was really surprised by how much she was featured on this album vocally wise. Even taking over the lead vocals on Salvation. As far as drumming, I guess I don't pay much attention but I thought her drumming is pretty good on this album. And yea, Seth the new guitarist really sheds on this album, specifically Circus for a Psycho.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 pm

After a couple of listens I'm afraid I'm unimpressed. I don't see any real progression from what they've already done, and I've decided that John Cooper's voice is one of those that belongs in the "voice styles I don't like" thread. The production and mix is very good, and musically the band is as good as ever, but I don't think this album is necessarily better than Comotose or Awake, and none of the songs meet the "jam your fist in the air" attitude of Monster, although Freakshow comes close. (Freakshow is one of three bonus tracks available if you get the MP3's and is not available on the CD).

Edit: Slight retraction -- Circus for a Psycho is good, and rocks about as good a Monster did. Also, in my own experience if I am unimpressed with an artist's work at first it will usually grow on me, while CDs I initially think are awesome ... are. Smile   What I'm saying is I might enjoy it more after a few more spins.

Last edited by BearDad on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Sick of It has that "jam your fist in the air" type sound to it. I also thought that the music on "My Religion" was pretty cool. It's basically a different take on the song "Nothing but the blood of Jesus"
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 am

BearDad wrote:
(Freakshow is one of three bonus tracks available if you get the MP3's and is not available on the CD).
I have a CD version and it has all three of the bonus tracks.

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 am

Staybrite wrote:
BearDad wrote:
(Freakshow is one of three bonus tracks available if you get the MP3's and is not available on the CD).
I have a CD version and it has all three of the bonus tracks.  

Yeah, I have since learned that. My daughter is the one that bought the MP3s and told me the bonus tracks were not available on the CD. Grrr. Smile
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I finally listened to this and I have to say it isn't bad at all.  I think I might like it even better than the last one.  I have to confess that I think John's vocals are still the weakest link in the band, so I am happy they are still adding the female vocals to break up the vocal monotony.  
As for them breaking the mold they have created over their last three albums I don't think it's going to happen (at least right now).  The modern rock they are playing is very formulaic and I think it is working really well for them (sales wise).  I expect they are one of the more popular Christian recording artists out right now.  So I don't think they are going to expand their sound much and I certainly wouldn't expect many guitar solos from them since they are trying to appeal to the 15-30 crowd....and that crowd does't seem to like guitar solos like us older fans.

rockerVu2

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Ehhh, maybe I've to tell that I'm more a fan of John's vocals.
Now you see we all like the same album.
But have different thoughts about the vocals of Jen and John.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:

But have different thoughts about the vocals of Jen and John.
Yes but you aren't much of a fan of most bands with female lead singers, so that is to be expected.  I'm also willing to be I am in the minority and that most modern rock fans actually like John's voice.

ChosenOne

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 pm

I like John's voice. It sets him apart from most singers in bands like Skillet.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm

ChosenOne wrote:
I like John's voice. It sets him apart from most singers in bands like Skillet.

I can definitely agree with that last part.  And I don't "hate" John's voice (If I did I wouldn't listen to the band at all).  I just think his voice isn't very dynamic (for lack of a better word) and it is quite obvious he has a very limited range.  For some reason I expect a little more from such a professional sounding band.

rockerVu2

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Quote :
I like John's voice. It sets him apart from most singers in bands like Skillet

I agree with you about the voice of John ChosenOne.
It's giving Skillet an own sound.

ne.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skillet - Rise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skillet - Rise   Skillet - Rise I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skillet - Rise
Page 1 of 1