Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your music now and then?

Go down 
+5
Guilty/Forgiven
bassdude
Staybrite
Hardkore
rockerVu2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Your music now and then? Empty
PostSubject: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 8:10

When you started to listen to Christian music, you listened to other bands then you do now.
Your taste in music changed, or you are getting older and can't bear the noisy loud music anymore geek
Or you loved country music and are a hard rocker now. geek

Now, tell us what were the bands you listened to when you discovered the Christian music?
What are the bands you love to hear now.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 10:09

I grew up on country music till my teens then went full tilt rocker. Grown up (primarily) I still like to rock but not quite as hard.

I was big into the music scene going thru high school and thru the college age years. I was a regular at all of the local concerts,video party's and what ever came around here.

I am not as into the music scene as much now a days. A lot of my money goes to bills for living but occasionally do get a new CD from a new/old group that I like.

The first bands I heard of and enjoyed were Petra, Rez, and Stryper. Bands that I love now include The Violet Burning and HB.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 10:28

I didn't start listening to Christian music until 2005. So my musical tastes haven't changed drastically. I did expand my musical tastes and listen to much more modern rock than I did 7 or 8 years ago. I was also infatuated with power-metal for awhile, but that seems to have passed in the last few years and I only like a few of those bands anymore.

When I was a wee sprout (elementary school age) I really liked ABBA, Paper Lace, Glen Campbell and Neil Diamond...I guess you could say my musical tastes have changed somewhat since then. Laughing

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 19:16

I got into Christian music in the early 80's......so Petra, Stryper, Barren Cross, and so on were what I listened to.....

I still like all that stuff, plus all the heavier stuff that came along later...

Now that I'm in my 40's my musical tastes are actually more extreme than when I was younger.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 20:07

Quote :
I really liked ABBA, Paper Lace, Glen Campbell and Neil Diamond
Your music now and then? 158100
- and yes Staybrite, Radar is awesome Very Happy - Let's get everyone on the board to do MASH characters, eh, what dya say ?
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 20:36

I was raised a poor black child...
wait, no, that's not it....
I was raised loving all kinds of music from childhood. Even at 5,6,7 years old I would play my mom's Elvis records and all her TV album specials - like KTEL Presents the 50s ! and other compilation records like that. There was no such thing as Contemporary Christian music in my house though. We had albums like the Californians and the Crownsmen... Churchy music that I listened to, but didn't care much for. I listened to KMET on the radio, they played ABBA and Paper Lace like Gary was talking about, as well as Golden Earring, Iron Butterfly, Clapton, and the like. So I had a deep love for music even in Elementary school. My 2 older brothers played a large part in my musical likes as well. I was always borrowing their records and tapes of U2, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, Genesis and dozens others.
Then came junior high and the discovery of heavy metal. My friends and I began listening to Sabbath and Ozzy - we ate up anything that was tough guy rock/metal. By the time I hit high school, a flood of bands began entering my collection from Metallica to Anthrax to Venom to Slayer to Grim Reaper...
1984 was big for me - I seen Van Halen's last concert with Diamond Dave, and I got what I thought was the first Christian metal album ever: Yellow and Black Attack. I didn't like Sweets high pitched vox, but still thought they were cool for going against the norm and not being ashamed of a faith in a good God (as opposed to all the other bands I was listening to). I honestly thought they were the only ones doing this kind of thing, until someone gave me Saint's Warriors of the Son recorded on a TDK cassette. This one I liked.
When I came to faith in '89, I went thru a stage where I thought Christians had to listen to only Maranatha Praise music. After growing a little, I've since amassed a ridiculous collection of roughly 25% mainstream music and 75% Christian/Faith-based music. I have everything from Buddy Holly and Fats Domino to Bruce Springsteen and Huey Lewis, from Michael W Smith and Amy Grant to Tourniquet and Living Sacrifice, From Margaret Becker and DC Talk to Pillar and the Blamed, From Maranatha Praise Band and Moya Brennan to Temple Yard and Christafari.... you get the picture.
Not much has changed from my earliest of childhood, except a rule that I hold dear: If I don't feel comfortable playing it in the prescence of Christ, I won't own it.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 21:05

when is 'then'? ...

and here's my MASH character.. love that show!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Feb 2013 - 21:59

I grew up listening to Christian music. I remember starting out only liking the CCM bands at the time, like D & K, Petra,etc. Can remember going to see Dallas Holmes & Praise (was never really a fan but went with my Dad) and even Carmen. Never really was into the "metal bands" at all. But then one day my dad brought home a record of Stryper's To Hell With The Devil and was immediatley blown away. After that I really started getting into the metal scene. Soon it was bands like Angelica, Guardian, Bride, Novella, etc etc.
Over the years I got rid of what I deemed where "soft cds by CCM bands" but honestly have gone back and reaquired some of them. I never really listened to the mainstream glam bands like Poison, Warrant, the Crue, etc etc because I was a Christian music only type of kid/guy.
Fast forward to the hear and now of 36. My first love is still Christian rock. But I dig pretty much any rock from the 80's (Christian & yes now bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant,etc etc). I dig a lot of the modern rock/hard rock/radio rock that is out there (Disciple, Skillet, Red, Creed, Nickleback, yeah I said it). I couldn't stand country growing up (and still can't) but do find myself liking some of it (Brantley Gilbert, Rascall Flatts,etc). So I am now pretty much all over the map when it comes to music.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 7:47

In 2000 I listened for the first time to "To Hell With The Devil" of Stryper.
It sound as my old secular rock bands.
But the difference with my old rockers were the lyrics.
Lyrics written by children of God, that really makes difference.
In that time I listened to Stryper, Siloam, Whitecross, Bloodgood, Idle Cure, Bride.

I still listen to those bands.
I have discovered many other very cool bands.
A good friend was a very big helper in to find great Christian bands.

Now I listen bands as Disciple, Letter 7, Bone Phrophet, InnerSiege, Saint, Red, The GX Project and many other bands.

My old secular rocker bands landed in the trash.
I never listen to them anymore.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 16:13

I was force fed country music up until I got my own "ghetto blaster". I listened to a lot of pop stuff, but I soon discovered metal. Bands like AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, etc. were my favorites. I still liked some pop, but it had to be something that rocked like Bryan Adams, Huey Lewis, The Cars, etc.

In 1990, I felt that God was dealing with me to leave behind my secular music. I started looking for artists that sounded like some of the artists I liked but with a Christian message. I found bands like Petra, Barren Cross, Bloodgood, etc. I still listen to all those today. Through the years, I have learned to like some pop Christian artists like Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, MercyMe, etc. I also discovered that I like modern rock like Skillet, Seventh Day Slumber, FLyleaf, etc.

So, I buy music today that either has that 80's metal sound, some power metal (I'm jammin' to InnerSiege right now), modern rock, and some pop. I guess I really haven't changed all that much except I prefer to hear about Jesus in my music.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 16:35

unworthy wrote:

and here's my MASH character.. love that show!

I love Frank Burns, probably my favorite character from MASH. I nearly went with Frank, but then I saw that cool pic of Radar.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 17:00

That picture of Radar is from one of my absolute favorite episodes. Not the funniest, but the most deep philosophical ones... the one where some dude comes to the camp to interview everyone there and the video he does is in B&W (current with the time of the Korean war), therefore the entire episode is in B&W except the beginning and the end. It was also the only episode that had NO commercials... they broadcasted this episode from beginning to end with no commercial breaks... really a cool episode.
There, some MASH trivia for you guys.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 18:11

I've seen every MASH episode.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2013 - 20:57

unworthy wrote:
So has my wife. I'm getting there... I seen several when I was a kid, but only in the last few months have I set my DVR to record the early MASH (from the 1st ep to about 1980 when it started getting too serious) and we've watched about 50 episodes so far. One heck of a great show.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeSat 9 Feb 2013 - 7:45

I've forgotten to tell before I discovered the Christian hard rock, I've listened to bands like:
Alice Cooper, Toto, AC/DC, Dire Straits, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple,
KISS, Mother's Finest, Rush, Simple Minds, Alan Parson's Project.

Now I know what Jesus has done for me I let the old rockers go.
There are so many very cool Christian bands that I don't miss my old secular rock bands.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeSat 9 Feb 2013 - 12:17

When I committed to follow the Lord, I burned all my music - records, tapes and magazines. Over a period of time and growth, I came to understand that music itself is not evil, nor is music performed by non-Christians. I now live by the standard I said earlier: If I can't play it in front of our Holy God, then it has no business being in my collection. I have songs (not albums) by many artists who have great God-given talent and the songs are lyrically innocuous (ie love songs, political, funny, or pointless) -
I do not recommend nor do I push my opinion on any other believers, as each person has their own personal relationship and personal views on secular music.
I just want to enjoy this gift of music from all walks of life, so long as they do not contradict Scripture, disrespect our God, or promote filth.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeSat 9 Feb 2013 - 12:39

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
unworthy wrote:
So has my wife. I'm getting there... I seen several when I was a kid, but only in the last few months have I set my DVR to record the early MASH (from the 1st ep to about 1980 when it started getting too serious) and we've watched about 50 episodes so far. One heck of a great show.

I borrowed them all from my library.. the ones I don't have anyway (seasons 5-) .. it is my favorite show.. it was funny, poignant..
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitimeSun 10 Feb 2013 - 12:12

I started with some classic metal and rock - Daniel Band, Titanic, and stuff like that. Gradually, I moved on to heavier stuff like Deliverance and The Moshketeers. In the last year, however, I've become interested in more prog/jazz stuff (secular '70s bands from Québec). So part of my collection always sits unused, but my interests come and go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your music now and then?   Your music now and then? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your music now and then?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: