Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lyrics poll

Go down 
+13
messiaen77
Thomas
Driven
Timshell64
bassdude
dale434445
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
Staybrite
unworthy
ishmael81
alldatndensum
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

How do you prefer lyrics in Christian music?
1. Bold and in your face
Lyrics poll I_vote_lcap95%Lyrics poll I_vote_rcap
 95% [ 18 ]
2. More poetic and cryptic
Lyrics poll I_vote_lcap5%Lyrics poll I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
3. Written to have a double meaning for Christian or secular audiences
Lyrics poll I_vote_lcap0%Lyrics poll I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 am

Here's a quick poll for us to get some conversation going.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am

I chose Bold and in your face BUT I think lyrics can be bold and still be poetic.

Case in point: Afrikaans by Resurrection Band: "God made the color, but the color doesn't make you God"

That's pretty aggressive, but still very poetic.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 am

I stand where I stand. Actually, I can't stand bands that do either of the other two options.

Though I certainly agree. I do think the ones that are best are ones that don't mince words/message yet are still creative/poetic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am

I went with bold and in your face.....but I don't have much of any problem with the poetic (and slightly cryptic) variety either. What I don't care for is the last type.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16562
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 pm

I voted for bold and in you face.

What I don't like are lyrics when you have to think are they Christian or are they not.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't mind the last option - written for both audiences.

What I don't like is the bold lyrics that aren't creative at all. How many songs can stryper write with the phrase "Tomorrow's too late"? I know of two of the top of my head - More Than a Man from To Hell... and Writing's on the Wall from In God...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 pm

I went with bold and in your face too. There's just something about raw truth and hardcore simplicity.

I love songs like Disciple's "I just know", and even though there's a lot of poetry in the songs of Michael Card, his no-holds-barred truth and doctrinal teaching in his songs is so powerful.

To me, a song is a good song if it "feels good" ie, it sounds good. But a better song is one that is deep and meaningful... it's nice when they're both.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I voted for bold, but I don't mind some of each really.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
dale434445

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I voted for Bold lyrics, but I agree with Ishmael81.

I like to hear more creative lyrics than "rocking for the rock"

ishmael81 wrote:

What I don't like is the bold lyrics that aren't creative at all.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 6:09 pm

ok, Josh, define 'creative'
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I personally like the up front and in your face boldness. While Christians do need to love better, we also need to be speaking up with the truth of Jesus. We've sat back for far too long and the world is a crappy place because of that. I don't care if we're musicians, writers, movie producers, etc. It is time we shine the light of Jesus to the world and make the best art we can. That doesn't mean everyone will coin a new phrase or have the most creative lyrics ever. But, it certainly can as well.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm

I, too, went for bold and in your face, but if you're going to write lyrics that way, please put some serious thought into it.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 3:02 am

unworthy wrote:
ok, Josh, define 'creative'

Creative as in not the same as everyone else or what you've done before. Like I mentioned the Stryper lyric. Not rhyming pride with by your side, or something else that we've heard a thousand times.

Tourniquet writes creative lyrics, as did Rez.
Back to top Go down
Timshell64

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am

I definately agree with most of you here! I want bold but do it in a way that is creative and not chessy!! I just hate to listen and do the "well are they christian or not thing!! You do not have to say Jesus or God everyline to make it christian, As a matter of fact the book of Ester in the bible never mentions God and it is in the Bible!!

I just want something if I pass it off to a non christian friend first off the production doesn't stink and the Lyrics are done in a way that makes them think or the Holy Spirit can use to convict them!!

Secondly I want it to challenge me in my walk and encourage me to live for Christ!! I know that the bible is filled with wars, and hardship and even despair. But it's focus is on the Good News there is help for those issues. Sometimes some bands so focus on the negative issues of life that are true and real but there is no relaying of hope and the good news!! it is just like well its bad, lets just glory in how bad it is!! (MY opinion only)

Thanks everyone for reading!!

Tim
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 8:54 am

I want lyrics that are spiritually edifying ... whether they are "creative" or "well written" is only of secondary concern.

if I give my friend a cassette I want him to hear TRUTH; not a "sanitized" version of what he usually listens to with a few "christian" lines stuck in here or there (and sometimes not even that!)... In other words, I'd rather give him an album that has horrible production and "cheesy" lyrics with God's truth in it then an album that is perfectly produced with creative lyrics which only hint at the truth (or don't even present it at all).

Personally, I hold my "christian music" to a high standard lyrically. I don't consider some bands "christian" that some other people do. I think there have to be standards, not so bands can toe the line, but so they can hold Jehovah Nissi's banner high.

I also enjoy lyrics which are full of Scriptural meat. Honestly, there aren't a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 am

I agree with you Jon, but will add that sometimes lyrics that are mentally stimulating are also spiritually edifying. "Praise the LORD your God with all your heart, MIND, soul and strength."

Also, the poll asked what we preferred. If I'm making a mix tape for a friend, I'm going to put stuff on there that I know he will like musically and make sure the lyrics are explicitly Christian.

However, if a song can go either way, I think we can still relate and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

While all 3 choices are ok for me I chose More poetic and cryptic. That probably shows in the Christian album I listen to the most. I always like strypers "Against the law" album the best because of the lyrics. Songs that promote a christian idea or action in the song are songs I really like and I think that is what speaks to most non Christians. Another band I really like is Angelica...definitely Christian but some of the lyrics are very poetic and cryptic. I listen to Christian bands as entertainment mostly but the lyrics do speak to me at times. Angelica's 'Walkin' in faith" really speaks to me , edifies me and entertains me. Another album that I really enjoy and edifies me is "Revelation" by Darrell Mansfield.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I prefer poetic but bold lyrics (voted for 1). Petra and Daniel Band, for example, had really worshipful lyrics that were quite blatant and yet motivating, like Adonai and Grave Robber (Petra), and I'm Sorry, Somebody Loves You, and T'ank You (Daniel Band).

Of course, lyrics don't really matter if the music is garbageā€¦
Back to top Go down

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 12:17 am

I just like good lyrics. Please no more "Give me the love from above" travesties.
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:01 am

I voted for option 1, though honestly, I am sort of in the middle somewhere between options 1 & 2. If lyrics are TOO bold, it can scare away people who just don't want to hear a Christian message, so then there is no outreach. But if the lyrics are too cryptic, then they will most likely miss the point, and so again there is no outreach. Hard to find that invisible line between 1 & 2, though...

------------
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 am

I didn't vote because I don't prefer any of these over the others. I think they are all equally valid and can all be found in the Bible (if you need that justification). Lyrics from the 80s can be trite and cheesy and full of cliches but we've moved beyond rockin' for the Rock. If that's all you've got, put down your guitar and read some good poetry. (I know we are talking Christian here, but I give the same advice to secular bands that can't seem to write a song without dropping f-bombs all over the place.) And there's no point in being cryptic just for the sake of being cryptic. It doesn't make you cerebral, it makes you unable to relate to your audience. I think the double-meaning approach is perfectly fine too. I think there is room in the Kingdom for some good love songs that are about love and commitment and not sex and personal gratification
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 9:08 am

I understand your points, messiaen77. Please try to see that this poll is about PREFERENCE--not what is right/wrong. I agree that all of these lyrical types can be useful, but that doesn't mean that anyone thinks that one is more right than the other.

Back to top Go down
Readi_Sketti

Readi_Sketti

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 7:05 pm

This was hard, I chose- bold & in your face, but I really like, bold & in your face lyrics and lyric that are poetic and cryptic. I think you need a mix of both in a song. Something that is edifying or reaching people. Gets you attention, not cheesey :p
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:19 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I understand your points, messiaen77. Please try to see that this poll is about PREFERENCE--not what is right/wrong. I agree that all of these lyrical types can be useful, but that doesn't mean that anyone thinks that one is more right than the other.
Exactly. I never had the impression that this poll was about right and wrong, but just what we prefer. This is not a matter that will affect anyone's salvation, and we need to be careful that we don't stomp on anyone's personal preference in such matters.

---------------
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:11 pm

i prefer bold, honest declarations of faith, but i dont have a problem with either option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lyrics poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyrics poll   Lyrics poll I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lyrics poll
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next