Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Redeemer vs. Menchen

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Redeemer vs. Menchen Empty
PostSubject: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 pm

What are everybody's thoughts on the two new projects from Bill Menchen, Redeemer ("One Way") and Menchen ("In The Light")? I think both are good - actually, quite good in places! - but by no means great.

Menchen brings the heavier and darker feel of the two (much of its material is mid-paced) while Redeemer features the rawer, edgier and more high energy sound (reflected in quite a few upbeat pieces). It also must be noted that Robert Sweet breathes new life into the material on both albums, which were mostly made up of songs that were previously recorded.

I rank "In The Light" a slight notch ahead of "One Way" in that its material is a bit better and think the vocals of Ken Redding are stronger. But "One Way" is certain not without its share of fine moments.

Currently at work on the reviews and hope to have them online this weekend.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am

I haven't heard the Redeemer project yet. Not sure I am going to get it as I already have all those songs.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I haven't heard the Redeemer project yet. Not sure I am going to get it as I already have all those songs.

Dude, it has trombone! It's gotta be better! Twisted Evil

I bought a copy of In The Light, signed by all four members of the band. It's on its way. As to One Way, I suspect they're re-recording all of the Redeemer/Rev Seven, so I'll wait for those.

As I've said before, In The Light is a result of a Rev Seven + Redding thing, back in 1993-1994.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:57 pm

I thought "In the Light" was pretty decent. Musically I think I prefer the first Menchen release "Red Rocks" just a bit over the ITL.

I have Bill's previous Redeemer re-recordings (on the Watermark label). I played them quite a bit when I first got them but have kind of grown tired of them (along with the Rev Seven stuff). I think I prefer Bill's music when he get's someone else to sing.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Quote :
Dude, it has trombone! It's gotta be better!

Ummm....NO! Just no. I am even more wary of that now that I have asked Bill about how much trombone was used and he did not answer. That tells me I should probably skip this.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :
Dude, it has trombone! It's gotta be better!

Ummm....NO! Just no. I am even more wary of that now that I have asked Bill about how much trombone was used and he did not answer. That tells me I should probably skip this.

I don't think you checked back on his pageā€¦ he said he used a bit during some mellow spots on "In Your Hands". It's not a trombone solo, it's just a quiet addition.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 am

The second Menchen CD is already sold out. 100 copies disappear quickly, don't they?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:42 am

I went ahead and got the Redeemer. Robert Sweet plays on this? You cannot tell it. His drumming is just bare minimum and lacks feeling compared to what he's done with Bill before. The album, to me, just sounds like Bill redid a couple of solos and made his vocals a bit more processed and slick. Overall, I wish I had just stuck with the Watermark Records versions.

"In The Light", however, is a fine album. OK, they need Tony Franklin on bass, but it really comes off as a band--not just another Bill Menchen project. Menchen SERIOUSLY blows Redeemer out of the water by a long shot.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:49 am

Having listened to In The Light as well, I think they need Tony Franklin's bass tone and mix. Red Rock sounded huge. Thing is, though, they should've called it "Redding Seven" because that's what it is/was - Rev Seven with Ken Redding on vocals.

I really like Remember My Chains, Man of Pain, King or Liar, Crucified and all of the Rev Seven/Redeemer covers. The rest is ok but not as notable as the songs I mentioned - or Menchened.

It doesn't hurt that I got an autographed pick from Bill, and one of Oz Fox's "pre-signed" picks, with the CD. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redeemer vs. Menchen   Redeemer vs. Menchen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redeemer vs. Menchen
Page 1 of 1