Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kickstarter projects.

Go down 
+4
Staybrite
alldatndensum
silentthunder89
rockerVu2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16562
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Kickstarter projects. Empty
PostSubject: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 am

Some bands as for the help of their fans to get the money they need to release a new CD.
It means you first have to donate an amount to release the CD, then you have to pay for the CD.
Do you support the Kickstarter project of your favorite band?
For me ... I am bit bit scary you never see the CD you supported.
Maybe this going to happen more and more.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Some bands as for the help of their fans to get the money they need to release a new CD.
It means you first have to donate an amount to release the CD, then you have to pay for the CD.
Do you support the Kickstarter project of your favorite band?
For me ... I am bit bit scary you never see the CD you supported.
Maybe this going to happen more and more.

The way kickstarter works, your credit card only gets charged if the full amount of the project gets pledged. That way, if the project doesn't reach its goal and get fully funded then you won't get charged. This is to protect people who pledge money to a project that doesn't get fully funded. So the only way you will get charged is if the project is successful.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Well.....mostly. What if the artist gets the money but then doesn't use it on their project? Are they bound to use that money for recording, or could someone misuse those funds and just keep them after their "project" gets funded?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm guessing there still is some risk, as the whole project could fall apart on the band/artist (ie they run out of money recording, mixing, mastering, or even duplicating the cds). Just becasue the project reaches it's funding doesn't mean that there won't be any problems. Also not sure there is a time limit. The project could reach full funding and for some reason the album isn't completed for another six years.

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm

My thought about the Kickstarter project: it's still risky to give money to this project, but you never know if you ever see a CD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I am not a fan of the Kickstarter project idea at all.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm not too enthusiast about this too.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I think it is a neat idea, but I'm just not on board with it. I mean, I like the idea of artists getting away from the pursestrings of the record labels, but I too am concerned about what happens to my money after the card is charged. Plus some of these people really need to get a more realistic idea about what is possible. The Bleed Into One documentary has a goal of $60,000! Seriously? I would love to see this project happen, but I will be shocked if they get to $10,000. I also wonder how many people see goals like that and think it isn't worth trying to support because it is so far out of reach when if they picked a little smaller goal they could make it.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3872

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:24 pm

FWIW, I know of two non-music related projects that have been realized because of Kickstarter so it can work as intended.

Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Hate it. Will never give to it. If you're an artist and you want to make art, go for it and I'll enjoy it. If you can't afford to make the art, then we lose something. But I will never contribute to something like this.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 am

messiaen77 wrote:
I think it is a neat idea, but I'm just not on board with it. I mean, I like the idea of artists getting away from the pursestrings of the record labels, but I too am concerned about what happens to my money after the card is charged.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

messiaen77 wrote:
Plus some of these people really need to get a more realistic idea about what is possible. The Bleed Into One documentary has a goal of $60,000! Seriously? I would love to see this project happen, but I will be shocked if they get to $10,000.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I will be shocked if they even get close to half the money they are asking for. I notice that David Benson had a kickstarter campaign that fell short of his goal, so he returned with another one at a smaller dollar amount for his goal.

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 am

Maybe the labels has to change so more bands join a label?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

The labels are dying a slow but well deserved death. It can't come soon enough for me. Kickstarter is one idea on what to replace them with, but it need not be the most successful model. I'm just glad it's here.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't think the labels will die. When SOPA passes, and it will, they will kill any sites that offer much in the way of competition. Also, they are the ones who are buying into the whole "streaming" idea of music. Soon, you won't buy music--you'll pay a fee to hear what you want whenever you want. Who will you be paying that too? The labels. They have come up with a plan to regain control and they are going to push until it happens. In a few years, we won't buy music at all. We'll just rent it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Alldat, I read this morning that SOPA has been killed. Now its friend, PIPA, is in its place.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm

It will pass one way or another. If it is killed completely, they will just tack it on a spending bill and sneak it through. Our gov't. is so corrupt. It will happen--just probably more through "back room" politics.

Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 am

alldatndensum wrote:
It will pass one way or another. If it is killed completely, they will just tack it on a spending bill and sneak it through. Our gov't. is so corrupt. It will happen--just probably more through "back room" politics.

They have a pretty good write-up of the SOPA/PIPA bill over at Indievisionmusic.com taken by both sides of the bill. You can check it out here, it's a pretty good read: http://www.indievisionmusic.com/2012/01/17/web-protest-sopa-bill/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter projects.   Kickstarter projects. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstarter projects.
Page 1 of 1