Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

::gasp:: country bands ::choke::

Go down 
+11
bassdude
ChosenOne
ishmael81
messiaen77
Ascension
sabidoo
PouncerW
alldatndensum
Ahlitah
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: Empty
PostSubject: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:49 pm

First, I'd like to say I'm not a big fan of country. That's not to say I don't like some country... it's just that given the choice, I would pick something else to listen to. My wife introduced me to modern country and I'm quite impressed at how many bands have overtly Christian songs. I like the fact that country isn't so uptight about Christian lyrics as pop and rock is, especially the country radio stations - they have no problem playing totally Christian songs.

There's christian alternatives to rock, metal, techno, pop, new wave, etc... It seems country is the only genre that doesn't need to have a Christian alternative. Quite possibly cuz many country bands in the secular world already have a Christian overtone. However, some bands have great Christian songs, then the next song on their album is all about cheatin' drinkin' and pickup trucks...

What's your take on country and Christianity ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But seriously once every 5 to 12 years I hear one country song I can tolerate....in small doses. I used to really like some of Bonnie Raitt's stuff, but mostly from her "blues-rock" era.

I have to confess that I can't hardly tell the difference between most modern country and pop lately.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Quote :
I have to confess that I can't hardly tell the difference between most modern country and pop lately.

Depending on what you define as pop, I'd agree. There's a lot of country that's crossed over to the pop charts.

As far as who I like (on occasion):

Alan Jackson

Brad Paisley

Carrie Underwood

Darius Rucker (really like this dude - former singer of Hooty & the Blowfish)

Keith Urban

Kenny Chesney

Martina McBride

Sara Evans

Sugarland

Taylor Swift
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 9:16 pm

The lyrics of Collin Raye's "What if Jesus comes back like that" are quite profound:

He came to town on an old frieght train
He jumped off in the pouring rain
Everybody said he's insane
Just a low down no account hobo

He made his bed beneath the county bridge
The city folks said "Hey, that's not his."
They signed a petition, they're gonna get rid
Of that low down no account white trash.

What if Jesus comes back like that
On an old freight train in a hobo hat
Will we let him in or turn our back

She was born into drug abuse
She couldn't help what her mama used
It wasn't like she got to choose
Now she's layin' there all alone

Got a monkey on her back
The Nurses say they never saw a smile like that
Doctor says she might stand a chance
If somebody takes her home

Two months early, hooked on crack
Will we let him in or turn our back
Oh, what if Jesus came back like that

Nobody said life is fair
We've all got a cross to bear
When it gets a little hard to care
Just think about Him hanging there

He came to town on a cold dark night
A single star was his only light
The baby born that silent night
A manger for his bed

What if Jesus came back like that
Where will he find our hearts are at
Will he let us in or turn his back
What if Jesus came back like that
Yeah what if Jesus came back lik that
Will he cry when he sees where our hearts are at
Will he let us in or turn his back
Hey what if Jesus comes back like that
Oh what if Jesus comes back like that
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 am

what do you guys think of Randy Travis's transition to christian music?

its still country, but but he has released a bunch of albums.

I confess I like a couple of his songs Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not a great fan of his vox, but I love Randy's lyrics. He definitely knows the Lord, it ain't for show. I love the lyrics in his marital faithfulness songs too (esp "On the other hand")

And of course his most widely known "3 wooden crosses" is a very clever song.

Again, not my style of music, but I have an appreciation for him.
Back to top Go down
Ahlitah

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 am

I sorta like his vox. Depends on the song. Sometimes it can get whiny.
I also have to be in the right mood for country (which is not that often!)

His lyrics are very good!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Quote :
I also have to be in the right mood for country (which is not that often!)
DITTO !
Quote :
His lyrics are very good!

Yes, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:31 pm

I think Randy has a fantastic voice, but I'm really hard pressed to listen to much country music at all.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Quote :
but I'm really hard pressed to listen to much country music at all.

So what you're saying is you won't go to that Dixie Chicks concert with me ?!?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :
but I'm really hard pressed to listen to much country music at all.

So what you're saying is you won't go to that Dixie Chicks concert with me ?!?

Not this time brother, but if Rachel Rachel does a reunion concert I'll be right there. Very Happy

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:48 pm

#1 - I wouldn't go to a Dixie Chicks concert if someone paid me

#2 - Rachel Rachel is not country.... but yes, that would be a tubular reunion concert !
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 pm

I just don't do any country music. I was force-fed that for too many years growing up and haven't missed it at all since.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
PouncerW

PouncerW

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I love music from almost every genre. Almost. Sorry, but no offence to those who do like it, I just cannot listen to rap. Not that big on Jazz either.

That being said, my first love is good, ole fashioned Rock.

But I do enjoy country. Bands/artists that come to mind.

- Alison Krauss and Union Station. Ron Block is a born again believer with them

- Randy Travis. Especially his 'Gospel' releases

- Brush Arbor.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Quote :
Ron Block is a born again believer with them

I didn't know that ! Cool !!
Back to top Go down
PouncerW

PouncerW

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :
Ron Block is a born again believer with them

I didn't know that ! Cool !!
From the Alison Krauss and Union ststion album "So Long so wrong" the last song on the cd is a gospel song written by Ron Block and sung by Alison. Its called "There is a reason"

Here are the lyrics

I've seen hard times and I've been told
There isn't any wonder that I fall
Why do we suffer, crossing off the years
There must be a reason for it all

I've trusted in You, Jesus, to save me from my sin
Heaven is the place I call my home
But I keep on getting caught up in this world I'm living in
And Your voice it sometimes fades before I know

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, crying with my need
Depending on Your love to carry me
The love that shed His blood for all the world to see
This must be the reason for it all

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm
When what I wrap my heart around is gone
I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world
When the one who loves me most will give me all

In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see
I do believe but help my unbelief
I've seen hard times and I've been told
There is a reason for it all
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:06 am

The thing that makes it so easy for country artists to switch to gospel, or any type of faith based music, is that most of them started singing in church. When I was playing country full time, I worked with one guy who would sing Amazing Grace in night clubs. Funny how the drinking, cussing and fighting would stop when we did that number...lol

Blake Shelton recently took the awesome song "God Gave Me You" from Dave Barnes and has released it to country music stations. It's becoming quite the hit for both Christian and country genres.

One of the best country acts to do something faith based though is the duet between Carrie Underwood and Vince Gill. Watch the video below. If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, then you don't have much of a heart/soul...

Easy to spot the believers in the crowd versus the non-believers. The younger 'stars' are sitting there bored while some are in tears. Watch how Wynonna and Naomi Judd, Kristian Bush (Sugarland) and Miranda Lambert react to the song.

Then there's the classic "He's Alive" by Dolly Parton. The song will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...

Being the resident 'country bumpkin', I am glad I could clear all this up for you folks... lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Response to Carrie: DANNNNGGGGGG !!!! She's got lungs ! I enjoy her tunes when my wife and I go on trips, but that one's incredible !

And I've always loved "He's Alive", no matter who sings it. (Who doesn't like Dolly though ? She's a trip)
Back to top Go down
Ascension

Ascension

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Played in a couple Christian Country bands over the years (more like Southern Rock than traditional Country. ) I like some of the more roots rock oriented "new country" stuff a LOT.
Here are a couple clips I played on.
David Jones and Kountry Mile in 2006 Coverd Bridge fest Oneonta Alabama. We had just hit the #1 spot on the Powersource national chart when we did this. Unfortunately it was a miserable show as the fest organizers thought there was only going to be folks singing with TRACKS are ran the stage off a single 30 amp circuit! This was the only tune of the show that we got through without tripping the breaker!
This is one I did with a Group called Big Praise.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:13 am

Just wanted to jump on some of what sabidoo said:

sabidoo wrote:
The thing that makes it so easy for country artists to switch to gospel, or any type of faith based music, is that most of them started singing in church. When I was playing country full time, I worked with one guy who would sing Amazing Grace in night clubs. Funny how the drinking, cussing and fighting would stop when we did that number...lol

I think a lot of it also comes from the country audience, which is incorporates a lot of the "God 'n guns" crowd. Even if they aren't believers themselves, many of them were raised with a respect for God and an awareness of his significance. I grew up with a stepfather who was a bluegrass fiddler/mandolin player who spent some time in a lounge band (strange brew there). Anyway, the singer was an amazing talent and they would always do an Elvis-inspired "How Great Thou Art" in their sets that made the drinking and cussing stop as well.

Quote :
One of the best country acts to do something faith based though is the duet between Carrie Underwood and Vince Gill. Watch the video below. If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, then you don't have much of a heart/soul...

Easy to spot the believers in the crowd versus the non-believers. The younger 'stars' are sitting there bored while some are in tears. Watch how Wynonna and Naomi Judd, Kristian Bush (Sugarland) and Miranda Lambert react to the song.

Several things here:

1. I took the tear to the eye thing as a challenge--you win.
2. "How Great Thou Art" is easily the greatest praise song ever written.
3. It is also easy to spot the people who have an inkling of what talent is in that audience: Carrie Underwood has an incredible voice and Mr. Grant there is truly a gifted musician that chooses to fly under the radar and let other people have the spotlight. I think this is what really separates artists from pop stars: artists share a mutual respect for each other, pop stars are about getting more face time.
4. I'm glad that after all these years of trying, the Judds were finally able to get their hair to match.

Quote :
Then there's the classic "He's Alive" by Dolly Parton. The song will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...

Sho' does.
Back to top Go down
PouncerW

PouncerW

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 am

sabidoo wrote:

Hey Sabidoo, that performance was a great one, and it was seen by millions, but I think the performance lacked something very important. Carrie had performed this song at the Grand ole oprey and I believe she did an even better performance in that she included, what I sincerely believe, is the most important verse of the hymn in that performance. Here is the link. (still dunno how to embed....STAYBRITE, YA THERE??) and the words of the verse missed.

ahhhhh got it... Thanks Staybrite

And when I think, That God His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, My burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my Sin

Last edited by PouncerW on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Pouncer go in and edit your post so that that your link looks like this...(but without the spaces in the brackets....and make sure you use the right brackets)

[ youtube ][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] /youtube ]

Oh but you will need to re cut and paste the url, because the one in the message right now is a hyper-link....and that wont work with a hyperlink.

Last edited by Staybrite on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 4:53 pm

I think country music is considered by many to be "The all American" music and being "Christian" is considered by many to also be "all American". I tend to be a fan of "outlaw" country...

Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams Jr.
Charlie Daniels
Willie Nelson
Patsy Cline
Merle Haggard
David Allen Coe
Travis Tritt
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 7:39 pm

My mom was a big country fan in the 70's I grew up listening to Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Glenn Campbell Loretta Lynn, Crystal Gale etc. I can handle the occasional song, but for the most part it doesn't really do much for me.

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I think country music is considered by many to be "The all American" music and being "Christian" is considered by many to also be "all American". I tend to be a fan of "outlaw" country...

Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams Jr.
Charlie Daniels
Willie Nelson
Patsy Cline
Merle Haggard
David Allen Coe
Travis Tritt

Me too, brokentulsa! If i'm gonna listen to country, it's gotta have an edge!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ::gasp:: country bands ::choke::   ::gasp:: country bands ::choke:: I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

::gasp:: country bands ::choke::
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next