Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic Petra

Go down 
+4
ProgPariah77
Hardkore
Staybrite
alldatndensum
8 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Most of you know that Greg X. Volz is back in Petra, and they are currently recording a new album. Most of the songs are old Volz era songs, but there are two new tracks forthcoming.

Who is planning on getting this?

I like Schlitt more than Volz any day, but I'll probably get this due to it being Petra. Hopefully, they will find a way to make more new music and utilize BOTH vocalists in the future.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Like I said in the other thread, I haven't heard much of the Volz stuff. I did listen to a few samples and I'm not at all sure yet. I really like their "rockin" stuff the best. I'm hoping some site will post the album for streaming so I can give it a proper listen before I decide.

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm

I do have two discs from the Volz era (Beat The System ,More Power To Ya) so I am somewhat familiar with Greg. I will certainly be getting this.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 pm

I have 3 or 4 albums with Volz. I have many more than that with Schlitt. I even like "God Fixation", which many Petra fans just dispise. So, while I probably have most of the songs from the Volz era, I want to hear them with the updated sound.

I have heard rumors that Schlitt is working on a rock album himself. I hope so as I love his voice.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-05-30

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 am

I'll probably not be picking this up, since it's mostly a rehash of old tunes ... if it was all new material, I'd definitely be interested.

I actually like both vocalists about the same - Volz' voice is more idiosyncratic, but it's the "classic Petra" vocal sound, while Schlitt's is a bit grittier and more unpredictable. Besides, the Schlitt-era stuff just rocked harder IMO.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 9:37 am

I'm so glad you started this thread.
Was wondering what's going on with Petra.

Since Petra is a band I don't have CDs from I have no idea if I will get this CD.
I think I start a "Petra Study" to figure out if I'm a "Petra- Greg X Volz" or "Petra- John Schlitt" fan are.
I think there are enough samples to find online.

Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 am

I am a Schlitt era Petra fan who still to this day thinks This Means War is the best cd they ever released. That being said, I do like some of those songs so I will definitlley being picking this up.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 am

From the Classic Petra FB page:

Quote :
The hard copy of the cd will be available to order online next Wednesday. It will be in stores Jan 10, and on Itunes as well at roughly the same time.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:53 am

Sounds very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5327
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

I have every Petra CD (some are doubles that are missing a couple of tracks though). I doubt if I'll get the new stuff, as I don't think it will improve enough for me to justify spending more money on it. Maybe after they've done 4 or 5 albums each with 2 new tracks on, they can release all the new songs on one album. Then I'd be interested.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:18 am

I decided not to get the CD but to save some $$$ and just get the downloads.

The tracks do sound a lot better and more full than the originals. A couple of the songs are even heavier as the guitar rings out more. But, other than that, it's just Petra doing a cover album of their old hits. I do hope, however, that this does really well for them and that this warrants them writing and putting together several projects of new music.

Back to top Go down

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am

Think I'll pass on this too.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 9:47 am

That's a good idea to get the downloads.
My only complain about downloads is you don't get the inserts.
Back to top Go down
dale434445

dale434445

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 pm

I was going to order the cd for $9.99, but after shipping and taxes the total was over $17.00. That is just to much. S&H should not almost equal the price of the disc.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:55 pm

I agree, that is ridiculous.

rockerVu2

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 9:33 am

Yesterday I have listened to this new CD of Petra. I really enjoyed this CD.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:06 am

Dale, I always wondered why some you have to pay a lot of $$$ for S & H and other labels don't ask much for this.
Back to top Go down

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:29 pm

I was excited for this, but the autotune on Greg's voice disappoints me. I think I'll pass as well, despite liking the heavier sound more than the originals. No
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I was excited for this, but the autotune on Greg's voice disappoints me. I think I'll pass as well, despite liking the heavier sound more than the originals. No

Is it that obvious just in the samples (I haven't really listened to all of them yet)?

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 am

It was to me. You might like it, though.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
It was to me. You might like it, though.

Are you insinuating I have a less discerning musical palate than you? Shocked

Classic Petra Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra   Classic Petra I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Petra
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: