Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jesus Music

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 am

Without what ppl call "Jesus Music" (non-traditional Christian music of the 60s & 70s), we wouldn't have a lot of the Christian Hard Music we love today.

Do you have a fav from the Jesus Music era ?
I would say Keith Green is one of my all-time favs. Dude was all up in yo face and had some great tunes too. I often wonder what he would be doing if he was still here with us today. He was edgy then, he'd prolly have harder music today and be even more hardcore with his lyrics.

I've always had an appreciation for music of all kinds, but it was a guy I did some trading with a few years ago that really turned me on to music of the "Jesus Movement". He sent me mp3s from his 'records' that date back to the 70s and I really grew to respect these pioneers of Christian rock.

Who do you dig from the early years ? Larry Norman, Randy Mathews, early Resurrection Band, early Stonehill, Agape, Good News, Armageddon Experience, John Fischer.... etc ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 3:49 pm

I can't say that I have listened to a whole lot of Jesus music (not a big fan of the era/style with the exception of Rez), but I definately give a nod to the "fathers" of Christian rock.

I'm kind of the same way with the blues. I love blues rock, (rock that is heavily driven by the blues), but I can't listen to much straight blues (I tend to get bored with it quickly).

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Quote :
I can't say that I have listened to a whole lot of Jesus music (not a big fan of the era/style with the exception of Rez), but I definately give a nod to the "fathers" of Christian rock.

Same here.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Larry Norman rules. Rez does too. Can't forget Keith Green, Barry McGuire, Randy Stonehill, the Third Chapter of Acts, and a million other timeless bands. Cool
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Larry Norman, The Way, Love Song, Keith Green, Randy Stonehill, Phil Keaggy, All Saved Freak Band, Children of the Day, Resurrection Band, and Agape all have a place in my collection and in my iTunes player all getting pretty frequent playing time.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Don't forget Mustard Seed and Oden Fong !
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Don't forget Mustard Seed and Oden Fong !

I had those MP3's, but I deleted them when I really began to think about the fact that I have never owned any of them in any other format. So, I deleted them. I am still looking for a re-issue of the Mustard Seed Faith, but I don't know if Oden Fong will ever be re-issued on CD as it wasn't very popular.

I have pretty much moved into the camp of if I don't own a form of an album, I won't get the digital versions. Everything I have digitally now has either been acquired legitimately (i.e. iTunes, eMusic, etc.), or ripped from CDs that I have. I have so much music I can't listen to a 1/100th of it in a given week (about 30 CDs worth), so I would rather feel good about what I have and miss a few rarities for now. I just don't want anyone being able to question my integrity over something as gray as copyright laws concerning music.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 am

~~ Silence ~~

You're a better man than I, Naz.

But if Oden Fong is 100% out of print to the point where you can't even find the albums for sale anywhere, what does it matter ? Enjoy the music from someone else who happened to buy a copy many years ago when it was actually for sale.
That's my opinion.
Back to top Go down

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Actually, if you get hold of Oden on Facebook, and with a donation to his ministry, he will send you his music. I picked up his Come For the Children and Invisible Man (and some Mustard Seed Faith stuff) a few years ago this way.
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
~~ Silence ~~

You're a better man than I, Naz.

But if Oden Fong is 100% out of print to the point where you can't even find the albums for sale anywhere, what does it matter ? Enjoy the music from someone else who happened to buy a copy many years ago when it was actually for sale.
That's my opinion.

Jim, it isn't that I "a better man", it is that I stand before people as a leader and try to be the most upright man that I can be. In a day and age where teens see no problem with 1 of them buying a CD and ripping it for all of their friends to have a copy, I do not feel as if I can make a discernable line between in-print/out-of-print music and make it justifiable. If I am going to take a stand on illegal downloads and copies, then I feel as if I need a clean break from anything I don't have another form of. So, my stand has become if I own a CD, there is no question, if I buy or get free music to download legitimately, there is no question. I didn't bring this up to cause a debate, just to comment on the Mustard Seed Faith/Oden Fong MP3's I got from you a couple of years ago.

All that said, I may check with Oden Fong to see if I can get his stuff directly from him. As for the Mustard Seed Faith, I am holding my breath in hopes of a re-issue. I was asked not to comment beyond hoping for a re-issue, but I will say there is hope.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 am

Right on Naz. I didn't mean to come off in a bad tone or anything. I need to be more respectful of people's desire to do what's right.*

I was just being a little defensive (inappropriately) cuz I'm guilty of having several albums ripped for me from family and friends, and I've done the same since I was 12 years old (when I got my first Record/Cassette combo set).

* and I need to search the internet more, cuz many albums I think are OOP, may be still for sale from the artists themselves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jesus Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus Music   Jesus Music I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jesus Music
Page 1 of 1