Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael Sweet

Go down 
+3
Fundy
alldatndensum
Staybrite
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Never thought I would say this but I will actually aquire a Michael Sweet album. I had shyed away from his solo stuff because it always sounded like "Stryper-light" to me.

But he did this one song about abstinence that I always liked, and I recently found the video for it on youtube. (here it is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TGhit2MQx4

While I was there I watched a few other videos and they actually really rocked (not metal, but rockin' anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9uXF-VAgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq45aJgUSXY

Turns out that all these songs are on his self-titled album from 1994. So I added it to my wants list at lala, and low and behold it is on it's way to me.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm

That was a very good solo project for Michael. While there are some "Stryper light" songs, there are also some tunes more reminiscent of Brian Adams. It's different than Stryper, but it's a great listen.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:58 am

That was a great album. All This And Heaven Too, and J.E.S.U.S. and Forever Yours are top tracks. I listened to those three songs many many times when I first got the album.

Maybe not Stryper in sound, but still a great rockin' album.

(All This And Heaven Too appeared on UK tv - which is a MEGA rare thing. I can only remember hearing that and Psychedelic Super Jesus (from Bride) being played on UK tv at any time in my life!!!!!)

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:41 am

Ohhh yeahhh I have to tell I never was a big fan of Michael Sweet solo stuff.
The first two songs sound very cool.
But a piano intro hmmmm.
Now I hope the new Stryper has a complete different sound.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:56 pm

avdb11 wrote:

Now I hope the new Stryper has a complete different sound.

Well this Micheal Sweet solo album is from way back in 1994. So I would expect that the new Stryper album would probably sound somewhat different.

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 5:00 pm

I have all of his solo stuff. There are definitely a few gems on them. I liked his latest the best and it was definitely his hardest stuff.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 pm

7thSecond wrote:
I liked his latest the best and it was definitely his hardest stuff.

7th, are you talking about his "Him" album?

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

The "Him" project is definitely not a rock project. It is a bunch of sappy love songs. Unless you just have to have everything with Michael singing on it, I'd recommend passing on this one.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 3:51 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Unless you just have to have everything with Michael singing on it, I'd recommend passing on this one.

Yup, not a problem for me. If I wasn't getting the self-titled ablum on lala, I probably wouldn't be getting it at all.

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 am

Staybrite wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

No. Truth.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

No. Truth.

Thanks 7th, I will check that out.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:22 am

Save Me, from the official Truth album was probably his heaviest song he's done as a solo artist (I could be wrong), although a number of the songs from that album are not very heavy at all.

Have to say that I love 'Blue Bleeds Through', and that isn't a heavy rock song at all. And to me, it sounds even better on the independantly released Truth album.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
HolyRoller

HolyRoller

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 pm

One thing I can say about Michaels s/t - awesome!
If I can listen to a release from front to back without skipping songs than to me it gets the stamp of awesome-ness and this is one of those cd's that I put on and let it flow. Some of the guitar hooks on it are candy to the ear, not too mention those big juicy choruses. The song Take Me Home comes to mind.

I have yet to get the Truth release but it's definately on the list.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 6:48 am

alldatndensum wrote:
The "Him" project is definitely not a rock project. It is a bunch of sappy love songs. Unless you just have to have everything with Michael singing on it, I'd recommend passing on this one.

Him was not a collection of love songs, but a collection of hymns. Michael didn't grow up in the church and had never heard the old hymns. When he saw the lyrical depth, he decided to record a bunch of them with new melodies.

The album you're thinking of is called Touched, which was his rendition of a bunch of love songs that are his wife's favorites.

Michael's solo work is solid, but not spectacular. 1994's self-titled is probably my favorite, followed by Truth. Real is okay, and has some moments, but is too pop for me. Truth rocked hard, but wasn't as accessible. The s/t album is a near-perfect blend of accessible music with big hooks and enough crunch to satisfy most rock fans. The Bryan Adams comparison is spot on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Michael Sweet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Sweet   Michael Sweet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet
Page 1 of 1