Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"

Go down 
+3
ChosenOne
alldatndensum
Staybrite
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" Empty
PostSubject: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" Fighter-BangtheDrum

This melodic rock album from 1992 is a favorite of mine. It was the second (and sadly last) album from this band from Iowa. Lead vocal duty’s were shared by Amy Wolter & Sean Murphy (who also played drums). Having two lead vocalists (one male, and one female) actually provided this band with great dymanics and variety. The music is rockin, full of hooks and radio friendly, but all in a good way. Great lyrics too, btw.

Supposedly the band had been around since 1986, but their first release “The Waiting” didn’t surface until 1991. Sadly the band did not continue, but Amy Wolter did go on to release a solo album entitled "Hit Me in the Heart" in 1994. Slightly more 'pop' orientated it still has a lot in common with both of Figther's albums (but with only Amy on lead vocals).

(if you have never heard of the band send me a pm with your e-mail addy and I will send you a few mp3s so you can check them out).

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 9:29 pm

It's funny that you should post about Fighter. I just listened to both Fighter discs and the Amy Wolter solo disc yesterday at work!

I think that this was a great melodic rock band. Not really heavy enough to be metal, they still had a lot going for them musically and in the songwriting. This band understood that you need a good hook to draw people in.

I got to see/meet Amy & Jim Wolter in Nashville a couple of years ago. Amy was doing her solo stuff with husband Jim on bass (he was Fighter's bassist) and guest guitarist Quinton Gibson (Seraiah & Whitecross). Jim and Amy talked about how badly the label treated them. Their CDs were pretty much out of print before the band could try to tour. Jim had resorted to buying their own CDs on Ebay just to give to a few friends because they had always had trouble getting them from the record company. It was almost like the label wanted them to fail.

But, in the end, they were happy to know that someone still remembered them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 pm

They are/were from my hometown. In fact my dad knows thier drummer/vocalist Sean Murphy. I had the privalige of helping them set up and waiting out in the cold with them when they played at my old high school. I saw them numerous times being from Iowa and everything. A very solid band who dissapeared way before thier time. I've tried to see what they are uo to but little info I could find. I know that guitarist/shreder Billy Heller has a website and his is still guitaring but I think he is in to mostly like blues stuff now. Last I heard Sean was playing drums for a husband/wife singing duo from a church here in Iowa. Who knows, next weekend I will be in thier hometown and maybe I should just stop by where Sean works (or did work) and say what's up. I am also familar with the church that they attended. I thought that Sean and/or Amy would be a cool addition for a Liberty n Justice cd
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 12:35 am

Hey Chosen, that would be a really cool idea. Especially if Justin could get both of them to sing on a Liberty n' Justice album. But just hearing new music from either one of them would be great.

Very sad story to hear they got little (or no) support from their record label. With a little promotion, and some decent radio airplay I think this band could have been very popular.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 am

They had the perfect sound to be on the radio at the time. They were somewhat in the same vein as Petra and Whiteheart, and Christian radio LOVED those two bands in the early 90's. Fighter would have fit right in there. But, the labels were just not pushing their products if they didn't sell right out of production. But, without promotional campaigns, how is a band supposed to get a national audience and really sell tapes and CDs? It just never made sense!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 am

Fighter is a band I still like.
The two different lead vocals of Sean and Amy sound cool.
The Fighter songs too.
It's not a band of heavy guitar leads or so.
I still like the Fighter sound.
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Well,if Justin wants em I will do my best to try and help em out.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:10 am

Cool! Now go see if you can get them to make a comeback.
Wink

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:16 am

Ever since I heard Bill's guitar work on Scott Wetzel's solo record, I have wanted to track down a Fighter record. I've never heard them. It sounds right up my alley, though.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 am

The Fighter discs can be quite expensive on Ebay. You might run across one in a bargain bin at a pawn shop occassionally. Your best bet of hearing them would either be to see if Itunes carries them, or get someone from here to hook you up with a burn.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 3:35 pm

FOJ, p.m. me your e-mail addy and I will send you a few mp3 files.

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:38 pm

I've had both the Fighter albums on CD since probably somewhere around '94 or early '95 - had the cassettes since they first came out, and then replaced them with CDs when I saw a deal somewhere... don't remember where now.

Very cool band. Not stuff that I listen to regularly, but they do get pulled out, dusted off, and enjoyed once in a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
Stryped Forever

Stryped Forever

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 pm

I have both of their cd's as well!
They were a bit harder then Petra but not a hard rock as Guardian great CCM rock! If you can find either of them pick them up! Great add to any collections!
Back to top Go down
http://www.StrypedForever.com
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:37 am

The only reason they don't see my CD player more often is that some of the songs are too cheesy lyrically for my liking. But the songwriting is great, and the musicianship is excellent.

The coolest thing about them is that many non-Christians will listen to them despite the strong spiritual messages because the music is so cool. I know of one person for sure who is not a Christian but has both of their tapes and LOVES the band! VERY cool outreach! Too bad they didn't keep going.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unforsaken.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"   Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"
Page 1 of 1