Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...

Go down 
+4
MetalFRO
Fundy
Staybrite
icon_red
8 posters
AuthorMessage
icon_red

icon_red

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-08-10

When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... Empty
PostSubject: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 pm

A friend and myself are trying to find all of the albums that Metal/Hard Rock/Rock bands did the switch back in '94-95 or so...we thought of

White Cross - Equilibrium
Whiteheart - Inside
Neon Cross - Torn
Holy Soldier - Promise Man
Petra - was it "No Doubt"?
Bride - Jesus Experience ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23416
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm not sure I would include the Whiteheart and Petra discs, but I think you certainly have a case for the rest.
I kinda thought Neon Cross' "Torn" album was more a throw-back to the 70's sound than it was true "grunge". But having lived through most of the NW/Seattle grunge movement I gotta say it was a rather diverse sounding bunch of bands that got lumped into the "grunge" category so "Torn" probably wouldn't be much of a stretch.

You might almost say that Saint's "Perfect Life" album was a foray into the Garage rock & alternative experiment as well.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm

That only proves one thing.......... I don't like grunge Razz

Equilibrium was the worst of the three later Whitecross albums
Whiteheart I only own one album so can't comment!
Neon Cross' album Torn was good, but not nearly as good as the screaming ST.
Holy Soldiers Promise Man I just couldn't get into at all. Both their other albums were great, but the 3rd just had no screaming vocals.
Petra's No Doubt was a good album, but far inferior to most of their previous stuff.
Bride's JE was my least favourite album by them (it used to be DROP, but that's gone up in my estimation!)

If 'you' like grunge then those albums would probably appeal to 'you' , but as for me I like it screaming and high pitched!

Bring it on

Someone

Please!

anyone?..............

Shocked

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 pm

See I actually liked "grunge" but did not care for most of those albums. Not to sound like a snob but I think the best grunge actually came from the NW bands, not those established bands trying to ride the trend.

From that list above I only really liked Neon Cross' "Torn" & WhiteHeart's "Inside" (but I don't really consider W.H. to fit within the genre).

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Most of those bands you mentioned took some portion of the alternative/grunge rock and assimilated it, but they were still firmly hard rock, just a more modern distillation of it. Grammatrain & Sometime Sunday - THOSE were grunge bands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
elsid

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Even Poor Old Lu to some extent, since they were from up that way as well. Most of their stuff had a lighter feel to it, mostly alternative with a splash of grunge, but it was different for the Christian market.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 3:47 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
Most of those bands you mentioned took some portion of the alternative/grunge rock and assimilated it, but they were still firmly hard rock, just a more modern distillation of it. Grammatrain & Sometime Sunday - THOSE were grunge bands.

Agreed, and it just so happens that both Grammatrain and Sometime Sunday where NW bands (from Washington and Oregon).

I would also lump Stir in with that crowd of grunge bands

icon_red

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:24 pm

What you sez is true, I don't think WH's "Inside" sounded grungy and Petra's sounds more like a modern-at-the-time rock album, but that is what "reviewers" said at the time (that's how we've been finding most of these discs: by pouring thru old CCM Magazine, HM, 7ball and syndicates)...at least Carman never changed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 am

I've always rather favored GS Megaphone myself (and Stir as already mentioned)
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 am

With the Whitecross record, that was an awesome alternative rock record. Too bad it just ticked most Rex era fans off. We had already suffered the loss of our favorite shredder, got a good rock record but without amazing leads (see "Unveiled"), and then got handed a disc that was NOT Whitecross at all. Had Scott released this under a new band name, it would have been so much better received. The Whitecross name should have died when Rex left.

Whiteheart did add some grunge elements to their music, but they were still Whiteheart. You can hear their experimentation, and they did it well. Unfortunately, the fans liked it so little that the band folded after this. Oh, it was guitarist Barry Graul (who was in Whitecross) that helped shape the new sound of Whiteheart. This is the same guitarist who played for Halo. He now plays with MercyMe.

As for the grunge scene:

Sometime Sunday
Grammatrain
GS Megaphone
Reflescent Tide
The Prayer Chain
Stir
Tragedy Ann

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
icon_red

icon_red

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:24 am

I've never heard of Stir, what is a good album to start with?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:42 am

I thought (and still think) that Equilibrium is Whitecross' best album. While Rex did some outstanding guitar work on the early records, Scott's vocals were much too close to Stephen Pearcy's IMO. I never have understood the appeal of those early WC albums.

With Equilibrium, Scott was finally doing vocals that sounded more organic to me. It was like he was finally finding his own voice and not trying so hard to sound like Pearcy.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 pm

icon_red wrote:
I've never heard of Stir, what is a good album to start with?

Stir only had one album, "Broken Tongues". There was another Stir from Seattle who had 2 albums (self-titled and "Holy Dogs"), but they were a secular band. I never considered Stir to be a grunge band, though. There's some grunge/alternative in their sound, but they're primarily a more modern distillation of hard rock in my opinion. The album gets a bit of a bad rap among hard rock fans who don't like any "alternative" influences in their hard rock (usually the same folks who slag Holy Soldier's "Promise Man" album), but it's a solid album of hard rock. Not spectacular, but certainly not as bad as some make it out to be, mostly because it's not their preference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 pm

I hated grunge when it came out. It was just so different and the lyrics in the secular bands was hard for me to understand. Even the christian grunge albums used a different lyric style. Now I go back and listen and I like some of the music and understand what the bands were trying to say. My favorite christian grunge album would be holy soldiers promise man. Whitecross did some cool albums also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm sooo glad this is a bump and I don't have to try to reconstruct my opinion on Equilibrium... lol!
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Grunge = When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... 362604
Back to top Go down
icon_red

icon_red

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 am

bassdude wrote:

Hannibal, MO? Heh heh I live in New London, MO...I work at Kroger in Hannibal!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 am

I stick by my first assesment. I liked many of the grunge bands, but the ones who seemed to do it best were the bands from the NW, and the groups who didn't try to change genres to fit with the times.

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:58 pm

icon_red wrote:
bassdude wrote:

Hannibal, MO? Heh heh I live in New London, MO...I work at Kroger in Hannibal!

I bet we know each other......at least by reputation! PM on the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...   When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When Metal/Rock Went "Grunge"...
Page 1 of 1