Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metal Classic - Dreamer

Go down 
+2
alldatndensum
Staybrite
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Metal Classic - Dreamer Empty
PostSubject: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 3:54 pm

I thought it might be kinda cool to showcase an old CHM album from years gone past to start discussion of some of the older bands. It also might expose some to bands they never heard before. If I can keep up the steam I will try to do this once a week or so.

Metal Classic - Dreamer Dreamer

Released in 1991 (but sounding more like it came from 1984), the hard rock/metal gem “Full Metal Racket” was the only release by the Canadian band “Dreamer” (at least I think it was). The band was fronted by Dan McCabe, the former lead singer for “The Daniel Band”, so it is fair to say the vocals sound considerably similar to Dan’s former band. But while “The Daniel Band” could be considered rock (or hard rock), Dreamer has more in common with 80’s commercial metal bands like Whitecross or Guardian.

Any fans of this lost classic? I definitely think the sound is a bit dated, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing as far as I am concerned. While I like the disc, I must confess that it seems most of the songs suffer from a kind of “sameness” that makes much of album feel just average (well maybe a bit better than average). But that may have more to do with the production/mastering then with the songs or band. I would have really liked to see what the band could have done on a second release.

(if you have never heard of the band send me a pm with your e-mail addy and I will send you a few mp3s so you can check them out).

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 4:02 pm

I have that CD and like it quite a bit.

I don't mind the production values on it. As far as that style of music goes, and when it was released, it is very good considering that the Christian scene was lagging behind that of the secular in style and production.

The drawback of this album was the same as what Tony Rossi of TRB had. When Daniel Band was together, Tony and Gabe shared songwriting duties. When the band dissolved, each took half of a great songwriting team with them. Without their other half, they both never really reached their full potential. If you could snag the 5 best songs from Dreamer and TRB and put them on one disc as Daniel Band, you would have had a masterpiece. But, as it is, you have two releases that could have been so much better.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I agree that the writing was probably better with the Daniel Band, but I much prefer the music on Dreamer to that of TRB (Tony Rossi Band) & the Daniel Band.

IMO there are a few decent tracks on the TRB album, but I think the vocals kinda held it back.

Stryped Forever

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:23 am

I got this CD a few years back off eBay and was very happy when I put it in the old player! Great 80's / 90's hard rock / metal! If you're a fan of that era pick it up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.StrypedForever.com

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:56 am

I had it and traded it. Big disappointment for me, because I loved everything Daniel Band ever did.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 7:58 am

Bought it years ago and never really got into it at all. I'll have to give it another listen sometime though. Loved the ballad though!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I had it and traded it. Big disappointment for me, because I loved everything Daniel Band ever did.

My thoughts exactly. Its sitting here on my desk as a matter of fact in a pile of CD's I'm trying to get rid of. If anyone's interested, send me a PM.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Wow, surprised to see so many didn't care for this album. I thought it was rather decent.

Of course it helps that I only paid like $3 or $4 for it.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:46 am

Staybrite this is a cool idea.
It's always cool to know more about bands you don't know.
In this case Dreamer.
I never have listened to Dreamer so I am curious how Dreamer sounds and ... if I like Dreamer.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm

avdb11 wrote:
Staybrite this is a cool idea.
It's always cool to know more about bands you don't know.
In this case Dreamer.
I never have listened to Dreamer so I am curious how Dreamer sounds and ... if I like Dreamer.

When I get home tonight I will e-mail you a few songs, so you can hear for yourself.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 am

I think it does help when you only pay a small amount for an album. I remember being given Siloam's Dying To Live on tape and then buying it for about $3. That was a brilliant purchase, as i absolutely love that album.

What spoiled Dreamer for me, was the fact that I was looking for a power/speed metal type music and totally inyour face and loud. The title of the album was 'Full Metal Racket' and I remember thinking 'Oh, yes! This is gonna be great'. When I listened to it, it was just rock/hard rock and nothing metal or 'rackety' about it at all.

I guess if I'd have gone into it thinking 'this is rock' then I may have had alot more time for it.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 9:36 am

Quote :

I remember being given Siloam's Dying To Live on tape and then buying it for about $3
That's very good stuff, "Dying To Live" and "Sweet Destiny".
Both CDs are favorite.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm a little late but I finally sent you a few of the Dreamer tracks.

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Listening to the Dreamer songs.
I have to tell that I like Dreamer.
No problem to send me more Dreamer songs Gary. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Classic - Dreamer   Metal Classic - Dreamer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Classic - Dreamer
Page 1 of 1