Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Interesting article on the CD LongBox

Go down 
+3
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
Guilty/Forgiven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-19

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Empty
PostSubject: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 5:01 am

Another Rolling Stone article from 1991 was kinda interesting, thought I'd share it with ya'all.

Seems they were phasing out the "Longbox" and attempting to replace it with a more environmentally friendly solution.

Anyways, check it out if you're into music history lessons  Laughing

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Img_0011
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 5:50 am

I loved them. They were made long so they would fit in the record bins... And they really aren't that bad and do not harm the environment. The paper industry is sustainable. We (my company) harvest our own trees that are grown for ONE purpose only - to make paper. By the time the "farm" is cut it is time to harvest a new set of trees. Not to mention it is biodegradable and plastic isn't. 

Anyway, I miss the long box. I used to save all of them because the art on them was cool.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 7:33 am

Plastic is biodegradable . . . it just takes longer than expected Very Happy

Plus there are biodegradable plastics.

But I was never a fan of long boxes for CDs.  Seemed superfluous to me.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 am

Looks like the industry went with the "alpha keeper" (plastic reusable holders).  I do think it funny that they complain about the hazzard to the environment but nobody worries about all of those paper coffee cups that have to be several tons a year more than the cd long boxes ever were.

I liked the original long boxes with the album art, but after a while they just started making them plain and generic.

oteis

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2013-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I don't recall europe having longboxes. I guess we just did't put cd's in the same bins as vinyl Smile
Back to top Go down
https://ccmfocus.wordpress.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Yeah, here in the US they made them long so they would fit in the record bins. Something else I have noticed is that jewel cases made from the 80's and early 90's are much better than the jewel cases now. They were heavier, more sturdy and less likely to crack. Now they use el-cheapo jewel cases or even worse digipaks. 

Wish I still had my long boxes, I had tons of them and saved them. I had them on my wall in my bedroom when I was a teenager.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:26 pm

And here I always thought the main reason they did these longboxes was to make it harder to steal a Cd.  Guess that wasn't the motivation.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 11:27 pm

I remember some of the long boxes.  I can remember some cassettes having them, too.  I don't remember, however, the CDs being in the record bins.  They took long enough to catch on here that they already had their own spots in the shelves when I remember seeing them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 5:11 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I remember some of the long boxes.  I can remember some cassettes having them, too.  I don't remember, however, the CDs being in the record bins.  They took long enough to catch on here that they already had their own spots in the shelves when I remember seeing them.

Not so much in places like Walmart or Kmart but the old Record Stores (Camelot, Record Bar, Turtle's, etc) still had "record bins" that were holding CD's in long boxes. Walmart & Kmart sometimes had cassettes and CD's in those cheap plastic long box things that were impossible to open.

They were kind of like this but they were made of soft plastic and you were supposed to be able to "squeeze" each side of the container and the tape (in theory, but never happening) would fall out of the case.

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Thumb_tape%20safer%20vs001

In reality you needed a chain saw to get them open.

And long boxes looked cool if you had a bunch from one band (this example isn't mine but the one I had was similar, I had long boxes for each Styx CD taped to my wall).

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Queen+Collection+of+Longboxes+219292b
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 8:37 am

Cool   
Interesting article on the CD LongBox Man-po11
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Interesting, never heard of longboxes. How weird is our past…
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Some had full cover art:

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Tumblr_n6pc620ZZY1rc4f1oo1_500
Interesting article on the CD LongBox Ridepic1-large

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Def+Leppard+Adrenalize+-+Long+Box+136838
And some were just plain generic:

Interesting article on the CD LongBox Duran-duran-rio-usa-cd-album-with-original-long-box-11421-p
I'm actually surprised more people have never seen them. I got curious and was looking around ebay. Some CD's still sealed in long boxes are priced at over $200! The sad part is that many of the CD's are still in print in the $5 bin at Walmart! So they have them listed that high just for the box! Crazy!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 11:25 pm

They can keep them for $200!  I care more about listening to the music than holding on to cardboard nostalgia.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the CD LongBox   Interesting article on the CD LongBox I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on the CD LongBox
Page 1 of 1