Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vinyl!

Go down 
+6
Guilty/Forgiven
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
BearDad
Hardkore
Dynamis
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Is anyone open to a vinyl discussion thread?  The reason I am bringing this up is that earlier today I was running errands on the east side of town (Mesa & Gilbert area) and discovered a new used record store that had recently opened.  I believe it is called Olive Records (but am not certain).

I would describe it as one of those small 'hole in the wall' places that has a very vintage feel to it.  Immediately, standing out is how the place was packed to the ceiling with merchandise- in addition to two rows stocked with vinyl they had roughly half a dozen or more boxes of unopened vinyl waiting to go on the shelves.  They also had sections for cassettes, DVD's, CD's and even a shelf for used stereo equipment.  It makes me glad that vinyl is on the comeback so that more shops of this kind will open in the future.

Needless to say, I was browsing the aisles and came upon a section of vinyl clearly marked 'Gospel'.  Naturally, my attention was piqued so started to dig through the pile and discovered some interesting gems, including:

Phil Keaggy & Glass Harp - Song In The Air
Phil Keaggy - Master & The Musician
DeGarmo & Key - This Time Thru
Daniel Band - Straight Ahead
Servant - World Of Sand (two copies)
Rick Cua - Koo-Ah
Rick Cua - Your My Road
Daniel Amos - Alarma

I also saw some CCM-ish stuff such as Randy Stonehill (Love Beyond Reason) and Second Chapter Of Acts (Together With Friends double live album).

Please note I do not have a turntable and so did not purchase any of these, but it is encouraging to see them on the shelf.  Condition also varied as did prices.

So what cool, vintage Records Shops are open in your town?  Any interesting recent finds?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 12:32 am

We have had this thread going off and on for  a while...https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/t3608-good-old-vinyl

Out here it is rare to find any Christian stuff on vinyl. The is one store in the mall that has quite a vinyl section but almost all of it is secular. There was one time I saw 2 or 3 discs that I liked.

Most vinyl shopping basically gets done online (ebay,Amazon).

That is a nice list you put. I probably would have grabbed a few.What sort of prices were on them?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 7:55 am

We have a little store called The Muze, but the last time I was in there my turntable was broken so I didn't look at the vinyl. I do seem to recall, though, that they have a good selection.

I am shocked that you didn't buy the "gems" to resell ... I myself would love to get my hands on DB Straight Ahead and DA Alarma .... vinyl, CD, or otherwise!

And to borrow from Hardkore's response: Out here it is rare to find any Christian stuff on vinyl

Last edited by BearDad on Sun May 10, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 8:02 am

The only place I know of that sells used vinyl anywhere around me is The Great Escape.  They used to have 3 locations around the greater Nashville area but are now down to a single store.  They sell used CDs, DVDs/Blu-Ray, comic books, memoribilia, old Playboys, etc.  If it is used and people want it, they will find it.  I haven't been into the last remaining store in years as it was always very dirty feeling.  I know--the stock is used.  However, their other stores felt clean despite the used materials.

I might go and check it out soon just to see if there are any rarities laying around.  If they were cheap enough, I might eBay them to make a buck or two.  I'd use them for trade fodder, but there are not really any CDs I can say I am truly seeking after.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 10:24 am

Quote :
That is a nice list you put. I probably would have grabbed a few.What sort of prices were on them?

Prices were relatively reasonable (in the $2 to $4 range), although I cannot attest as to condition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3118
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 6:17 am

I'm a vinyl lover but there is only one store here and it is incredibly small (I have seen more records at a garage sale than they have at this store).

Vinyl! 10985186_466494736835780_7728621598318485918_n

This is about all they have. I can browse and be done with the whole store in 10 minutes or less. When they first opened they were open 24/7 and they were also a coffee shop. They shut down for about a month then reopened on record store day. 

The only Christian vinyl I have found used is Barren Cross "Rock For The King" and I found it on eBay for $3. And it was autographed! Not bad for 3 bucks! (I also have Deliverance Weapons "Blue" and Ultimatum HOM). Other than that I never see any Christian records.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 3:04 pm

I think everyone here knows by now that I'm a huge vinyl record freak.  To the point I gotta slow things down cuz my record armoire is now overflowing into crates (something I told to my wife I wouldn't do)

It can become a serious addiction- though I'm not like those who buy and never listen to them or leave them sealed -no way ! Gotta listen to them ! I don't buy unless I plan to listen to them either.

As for local shops ? We had one for several years called Vista Music - they wanted to raise his rent so he closed shop and gave me a card where to find him. Went to his house and he has those huge pods that are temperature controlled filled with thousands of records !  I snagged a few excellent christian titles from him.
Someday I'm gonna spend more than a couple hours there.  
There's one other sorta "head-shop" that carries about 2000 LPs - I've scored a few nice Christian titles there as well. 

I've actually done better at thrift stores believe it or not. I've bought some cool titles for only 99 cents - VERY cool !
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

It can become a serious addiction- though I'm not like those who buy and never listen to them or leave them sealed -no way ! Gotta listen to them ! I don't buy unless I plan to listen to them either.

Same here, I open everything I buy. Last year I found sealed copies of Def Leppard Pyromania and Loveryboy Keep It Up and I opened both! It is meant to be played! You can still collect it and enjoy from a collector's point of view, but why have it if you don't play it?

Last edited by MikeInFla on Tue May 12, 2015 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

You got it brotha !
I've purchased several albums over the years that were still sealed... albums from the 70s and 80s that managed to be stored for 30 to 40 years without someone opening them.... such a waste ! 

One good point that Scott Waters said once was that he doesn't really like to buy sealed albums cuz he's opened them up only to find out they're warped or even cracked in half... so while it seems great to score an old album that's never been opened, it's a crap shoot in that you may end up with a damaged album. 

Just something to think about :-)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

One good point that Scott Waters said once was that he doesn't really like to buy sealed albums cuz he's opened them up only to find out they're warped or even cracked in half... so while it seems great to score an old album that's never been opened, it's a crap shoot in that you may end up with a damaged album. 

There you go throwing a minor celebrity's name around like we are all supposed to be so impressed that you rub shoulders with somebody noteworthy. You're such a prima-donna!

Guilty/Forgiven

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 8:45 pm

But I'm a happy Prima-Donna !  king

You're just jealous that I know so many minor celebrities !  Razz
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 5:24 am

Last summer I went to Pittsburgh twice. It was a business trip but we did have some downtime. I decided to explore and walk around down town. I walked over 2 miles to get to Eide's Entertainment. They have books, comics and vinyl. It is such an awesome store if I had the time I could stay open til close just looking around. 

Vinyl! Eides-Entertainment-vinyl-record-store-pittsburgh-PA

The have 3 levels! Level one is dollar records and comics. Level 2 (pictured above) is all used vinyl and used books. Level 3 is all new vinyl and CD's. 

I was surprised on the used level that they had a LOT of vinyl from the 80's still sealed (almost picked up Tommy Shaw "Girls With Guns"). They have a section called something like "still sealed old vinyl". Nothing is over 4.99! (in this section). Like GF said I like to look at it so used it always good. You can take it out, inspect it under the light and look for defects. So far I have never been burned buying used/sealed vinyl. But you never know when it might happen.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I've noticed at Half Price Books that they're putting old some jazz standards back on 180 gram vinyl.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:24 pm

I was downtown this afternoon, so I stopped into "The Muze" for the first time in about five years. The few records they have are pitiful; sleeves torn or bent, plastic all ripped and hanging all over. The worst of it is, they want as much for used vinyl as they do for used CDs!  I didn't see much that interested me, maybe one or two that I might have bought if they didn't want $7 for them.

I got kinda excited when I came across a Found Free LP.  I saw them in college, before they were Bash-N-the-Code, somewhere around 1985. Sure, they wanted about $4 for the record, but I thought that would be worth it. Then I looked at it the vinyl and one side was a scratched mess, like someone randomly dragged a key around it! I could not believe they would sell something like that, much less for $4!

Clearly used vinyl is not their "bread and butter".
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm going to Rapid City in July ... gonna have to look this place up.  In fact, based on the pictures it might be worth a trip all by itself!

http://www.blackhillsvinyl.com/live/
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 6:10 am

As I said in another thread, I have owned a handful of singles in my teen years, but I have actually never owned any vinyl albums....ever.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:48 am

I buy alot of vinyl at the flea Market..there are several vendors there with good stuff..also on ebay and I order new stuff from amazon and Barnes And Noble...Vintage stock has a little and we have a store called Starship Records and Tapes but their vinyl is really expensive..We also have several vintage shops here with good vinyl selection and a place called Blue Moon Records that specializes in Vinyl but they are a hit and miss kinda place...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:43 am

I don't know about there, but you have got to be careful with flea market vendors of music.  Years ago, there was a vendor at our local flea market that had cassettes dirt cheap.  These were brand new, hot titles of major label acts, too.  If they were $8 at the store which was around standard at the time, you could get them for $4 here.  However, the covers were always just a little blurry.  Regardless, I bought a couple and they played just fine. 

I questioned them about the blurry covers and they said that they were just factory misprints that the label sold off cheap to get rid of.  I was young and naive, so I thought nothing of it.  I read an article in a magazine a week or two later warning people about bootlegs being sold....at flea markets....and they described these releases to a "T".  I went back to the flea market the next weekend to shop and there were those people selling stuff again.  I asked a few more questions and told them about the article I read.  The people got real nervous and asked me to leave as I was "disturbing their customers".  What's funny about that is that my wife and I were the only people standing close to their booth!  LOL

We went back the following week just to see if they were still there selling music.  Guess what?  They were not there anymore!  I asked a few of the vendors there that we recognized about them and they said that the police had shown up asking a lot of questions about the music vendors.  They had packed up early the previous week and left.  I guess that I wasn't the only one who had figured out they were selling something hot.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 7:19 am

My dad had vinyls.
All classic music or acapella music from Bach.
Now, I have the vinyls of my dad.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 8:07 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I don't know about there, but you have got to be careful with flea market vendors of music.  Years ago, there was a vendor at our local flea market that had cassettes dirt cheap.  These were brand new, hot titles of major label acts, too.  If they were $8 at the store which was around standard at the time, you could get them for $4 here.  However, the covers were always just a little blurry.  Regardless, I bought a couple and they played just fine. 

I questioned them about the blurry covers and they said that they were just factory misprints that the label sold off cheap to get rid of.  I was young and naive, so I thought nothing of it.  I read an article in a magazine a week or two later warning people about bootlegs being sold....at flea markets....and they described these releases to a "T".  I went back to the flea market the next weekend to shop and there were those people selling stuff again.  I asked a few more questions and told them about the article I read.  The people got real nervous and asked me to leave as I was "disturbing their customers".  What's funny about that is that my wife and I were the only people standing close to their booth!  LOL

We went back the following week just to see if they were still there selling music.  Guess what?  They were not there anymore!  I asked a few of the vendors there that we recognized about them and they said that the police had shown up asking a lot of questions about the music vendors.  They had packed up early the previous week and left.  I guess that I wasn't the only one who had figured out they were selling something hot.

I remember similar cassette stands back in the 80's. Cheap stuff. The last ones I remember seeing were in the early 90's in a t-shirt store in Myrtle Beach. I remember seeing INXS - Kick on cassette for 4 bucks and the cover art was blurry. When I said "hey, you guys sell boots pretty cheap!". Same nervousness you described above at which point I argued with them about boots pointing out the fact that this cassette, while sealed, I could tell it was "one" page and didn't fold up with a lyric sheet like cassette did at the time. Got the same "factory defect" kind of response. A friend bought it anyway and it did play fine but the cassettes they had all looked that way -- just a single sheet with no lyrics and smeared artwork.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Dollar bin !! Yay !!
(Sorry It's sideways -cell phones...)

Vinyl! 20150523
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Pretty stoked to score this rarity !

Vinyl! 20150524
Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Nice finds!
Back to top Go down
https://ccmfocus.wordpress.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Is that the same "Contagious" that did "Free Indeed"?

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes, but it's the better album, IMOSHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vinyl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl!   Vinyl! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vinyl!