Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spotlight ... Whitecross.

Go down 
+2
Staybrite
rockerVu2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Spotlight ... Whitecross. Empty
PostSubject: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 9:36 am

The Spotlight band of this time is Whitecross.
We all know songs of Whitecross.
"In The Kingdom", and the thouching "Walk With Me."
Famous are the guitar solo's of Rex Carroll.
Rex belongs to the best christian guitarists.
Do you know how Whitecross started?
How many members have played in Whitecross?
The albums they released?
After reading this Spotlight you know all about Whitecross.

How it started.

Whitecross was formed in 1986 by Rex Carroll and Scott Wenzel. Whitecross release their debut self-titled CD "Whitecross" on Pure Metal in 1987. Songs like Enough is Enough, Who Will You Follow, and the popular Nagasaki guitar solo by Rex Carroll would bring life to the fast growing scene of Christian Rock and Christian Heavy Metal. Whitecross with is ripping guitar work and solid vocals was often compared to the popular main-stream group RATT.

Whitecross followed their debut recording with Whitecross-The $6.98 EP-Love on the Line in 1988, Whitecross-Hammer & Nail in 1988 and Whitecross-Triumphant Return in 1989. Star Song bought the Pure Metal label and the duo of Scott Wenzel and Rex Carroll would create two more albums together. White Cross-In the Kingdom in 1991 and White Cross-High Gear in 1992. The Dove Award winning Whitecross who travel with notable groups such as Stryper, Steve Taylor and others would never be the same again. Rex Carroll the guitar mastermind, songwriter and producer behind the band Whitecross would leave in 1992 to pursue a solo album entitled Rex Carroll-The Session. Rex also went on to form the band King James with front man Jimi Bennett and 2 former members of Stryper, Tim Gaines and Robert Sweet. Scott went on to make a solo album as well as other other Whitecross albums, Unveiled, Equilibrium, FlyTrap, One More Encore.

Whitecross has won three Dove Awards: two for "Hard music album of the year" with Triumphant Return (in 1990) and In the Kingdom (in 1992);[1] and one for "Come unto the Light" from the Unveiled album, which won "Hard music recorded song of the year" in 1995.[2]
In 1998, singer Scott Wenzel took a two-year break to do mission work in South America, and Whitecross was placed on hiatus. Little happened with the band for seven years, except for a couple of reunion gigs featuring both Wenzel and Carroll in 2002.
In 2005, Scott and Rex reunited to record Nineteen Eighty Seven, which featured re-recordings of nine of the ten songs from their self-titled debut (You're Mine being the exclusion), as well as a re-recording of the song Love on the Line (previously unavailable on CD) and a new guitar instrumental song by Rex Carroll.
There are plans to record new material for CD release as well as a possibility of Rex doing a guitar solo CD.

Discography.

1987 Whitecross
1988 Hammer & Nail
1988 Love On The Line EP
1989 Triumphant Return
1990 The Reign Goes On Video
1991 At Their Best
1991 In the Kingdom
1992 High Gear
1993 To The Limit
1994 Unveiled
1995 By Demand
1995 Equilibrium
1996 Flytrap
1998 One More Encore
2005 Nineteen Eighty Seven
2006 The Very Best of Whitecross

Band members.

Current Band Members.

Rex Carroll - guitars
Scott Wenzel - vocals
Mike Fieghan - drums

Former Band Members.

Tracy Ferrie - bass
Barry Graul - guitars
Mark Hedl – drums
Jon Sproule – bass
Scott Harper – bass, vocals
Quinton Gibson - guitars

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Spotlight ... Whitecross. Whitecross_1987 1984 Was my #1 favorite release for 2005. What a fantastic album.
I never heard of Whitecross until I started looking for Christian hard rock and metal about 5 years ago. One of the first albums I found (In my local library of all places) was "Hammer & Nail" by Whitecross. So I checked it out and was very happy with it.
Well I went on-line to look for more of the band's material. I only knew of a few online retailers (yahoomusic, cdnow,) so the only record I could find from them was the "Mega 3" compilation. It had three albums in one "Unveiled, Equilibrium, and One More Encore". Needless to say all of these records (while very good) were significantly different from "Hammer & Nail". Shortly after, I found Christian Hard Music, and learned that there is a wealth of great Christian metal and hard rock, you just have to know where to look for it.

Over the next few years I went on to collect their whole catalog, with the exception of the very pricey debut album. So I was very happy when they rerecorded the album and released it as "1987" a few years ago. I hope Rex and Scott can manage to put out another studio album.

As a footnote to the history posted above. Scott also does a guest vocal apperance on the magnificent Misson of One release "Show Me the Way". If you don't have a copy your missing out, and you need to get one fast! (I think Alldat might know how you can get one). Wink

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 8:44 am

I agree with the words of Gary.
Scott's guest apperance on the Mission Of One release "Show Me The Way" was great.
What I love so much of this CD are the bold lyrics.
The way recognizable lyrics about things we can struggle with.
It shows me that we all struggle with this, one with this and an other with that.
Jesus is almighty and He is able to help us change our things.
Back to top Go down
LateFortheParty

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 9:14 pm

I have:

Triumphant Return
In The Kingdom
High Gear

I saw them in 92' when High Gear just came out, they did lots off of In The Kingdom also. It was a wonderful concert. Rex Carrol sounded as good in concert as in studio.

I consider ITK my fav, but I enjoy the songs off of HG just as much. I have these 3 on cassette and when I listen to them, I usually listen to side A, then B..straight through.

I haven't checked out their other stuff for some time, and have not been tempted to purchase anything after HG, but, that could change Wink .

This is a GREAT band, and if you haven't listened to them, I highly recommend that you check them out, meaning, their music and lyrics.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 10:32 am

To really appreciate this band's full catalog, you have to somewhat think of two distinct Whitecross bands.

The early era featured the songwriting skills of Scott and Rex. To many a metal fan, these two were unstoppable. Scott definitely has a voice for metal and a heart for the Lord. His passion for sharing the Gospel partnered with the world-class guitarist Rex Carroll made for an exciting musical journey that the Christian world still hopes will make a full blown return.

The second incarnation saw the departure of Rex. Scott would struggle without Rex to find a real musical personality for Whitecross. The addition of Barry Graul on guitar, in my opinion, really set the band back. Oh, they made a couple of good albums together, but they weren't Whitecross records. Barry is a good guitarist, but every band he has been in seems to struggle after he enters the mix: Whitecross, Whiteheart, Mercy Me. I call it the "Barry Graul Curse". The band changes and makes some good music, but the fan base ends up not enjoying it as they hoped.

Of the two Barry Graul discs, "Unveiled" is the better. It needed more lead guitar, but it was a great rock n' roll record. This showed that Scott was a true songwriter and didn't have to depend on Rex to express his heart musically. Had this been released under a new name, I think it would have been a huge success for Scott.

"Equilibrium" was a great alternative rock album. But, fans didn't appreciate it as Whitecross was not synonomous with alternative rock. It was a metal band. This piece of genious was overlooked simply because of what it was and who was releasing it. A Whitecross album this was not.

And lastly came "Flytrap". Scott would again go to a more bluesy hard rock sound with new guitarist Quinton Gibson of Seraiah fame. Why did they use so many acoustic guitars? Had they really turned up the electrics and rocked these songs, Whitecross would have been considered returned. There are some great tracks on there, but they just come off as too mellow. For their longtime fans, three strikes and you're out.

I know that Scott stopped to do some missionary work, but I think he also saw the writing on the wall. Whitecross' fan base had moved on. They weren't getting what they wanted from the band. To continue would have seen more drops in sales and opportunities to tour.

But, with the recording of "1987", the dynamic duo have returned and have shown they can still mix it up 'old school'. If/when Whitecross get a project out of new tunes, fans now see the hope of the Whitecross they originally loved coming back to slay that ol' serpent Satan with their faith in Jesus.

I doubt that Rex and Scott will see this, but I want to challenge them with one of their own lyrics. Guys, if you're out there:

"We know what's right
We'll stand and fight, it's time to rise
Come on and see
The victory before your eyes "

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Stryped Forever

Stryped Forever

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: here's what I have...   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 pm

Ok I thought I would go ahead and chim in...

I have seen Whitecross in person at least five times!
The first concert was at the end of the Hammer & Nail tour and the last one was the Unveiled tour.

Here is a list of album/singles I have in my collection.

Whitecross S/T - autographed | pure metal records
Love On The Live EP
Hammer & Nail - autographed | pure metal records
Walk With Me / Living On The Edge CD Single | pure metal records
Triumphant Return - autographed | pure metal records
In The Kingdom | star song
In The Kingdom / Promo Disc 3 songs & 3 radio spots | star song
High Gear - autographed | star song
High Gear / 3 song CD Single digipak
To The Limit
Unveiled | rex record
Unveiled / European promo 2 song CD Single
Unveiled / re-release w/ 1986 demo | retroactive records
Equilibrium | rex records
Flytrap | rex records
One More Encore
Nineteen Eighty Seven / Promo Disc | girder records
Nineteen Eighty Seven | girder records

I also have a MEGA RARE Whitecross Red/Black denim "High Gear" Tour Jacket!
Back to top Go down
http://www.StrypedForever.com
LateFortheParty

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Quote :
I also have a MEGA RARE Whitecross Red/Black denim "High Gear" Tour Jacket!

MAY THE 80'S LIVE FOREVER!!
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 6:28 am

Whitecross are a great band. It's true that some of the lyrics are abit simple and they can grate a little after a while, but it's also true that sometimes a simple message can really hit home. After their first two albums every album got less metal and more rock, and by the time Flytrap was released they had come a long way from their original sound.

Rex and Scott did indeed make Whitecross, and when Rex left it just didn't feel the same.

It's got to be said though, that all their albums are at least 'good'. The ST and Triumphant return being my favourites and probably Equilibrium being my least fav.

1987 really put them back to the early days and I do find myself liking it even more than their S/T, so I hope they release a new album in that style. But I seem to remember when they initially talked about it they said it would be rock/hard rock type of sound, which makes me think of High Gear with a more modern feel. (I loved High Gear, but if they do it in a modern way it'll give me the shivers!)

Make it metal, make it loud, make it how you used to!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 am

In February 2008 Whitecross comes to Germany for one or more shows.
Hope to hear and see them live.
I never could imagine to see Whitecross live.
Needless to say that I am anxious for this. To hear and see how Whitecross is live.

For me there are two bands ...
bands who do it better on stage and make a good show for their fans and the bands who do it better in the studio to produce cool albums for us.

Have you ever seen Whitecross live?
Yes .... how was it?
Back to top Go down
LateFortheParty

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 10:37 pm

Quote :
Have you ever seen Whitecross live?
Yes .... how was it?

Sorry that I didn't answer Sad .

I saw them in 92'. I thought that it was fantastic. Rex C's guitar was amazing, but it didn't overpower or unbalance the band, imo. I thought that they sounded great live, I was not dissapointed in any way. I did think that "Holy War" did not really translate live, but, that was my take.

I am excited for you to see them.

I think I need to check out "Hammer and Nail". Seems like lots of folks really like that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotlight ... Whitecross.   Spotlight ... Whitecross. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotlight ... Whitecross.
Page 1 of 1