Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spotlight of ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 6:04 pm

Spotlight.

The spotlight is a monthly thread to give a band or an artist extra attention.
The spotlight artist of November is Rob Rock.

Rob Rock started his music career in 1983 when he and Chris Impellitteri joined VICE, a cover band. They released a successful demo and were together until 1985. In 1986, he joined musicians Tony MacAlpine (guitar), Tommy Aldridge (drums), and Rudy Sarzo (bass) in a project called M.A.R.S. Project Driver. The project received much critical praise, but the next year each member went a different way.
With different ways to follow, Rock decided to record an EP with Impellitteri called Relativity. However, he was already committed to another project called Joshua, so he could not continue with the band (at least for the moment.) After that, he worked on a series of projects (Angelica, Driver) which gave him knowledge of international musicians that would serve him well later.
In the early 1990s, he received a call from Chris Impellitteri to join his band again. He agreed and he went on a successful run with Impellitteri until 2000. That year, Rock decided to pursue his own solo career and parted ways with Impellitteri amicably. That same year, he released his first solo album called Rage of Creation. The album received critical praise and Rock has gone on, releasing two more albums (Eyes of Eternity and Holy Hell) on the way. In 2007, he released an album entitled Garden of Chaos. In May of 2008 it was announced that Rob would officially sing for Impellitteri once more!
Rock has also lent his voice to the Randy Rhoads tribute released in 2000 and to countless other projects through his career like Avantasia and Axel Rudi Pell.

When heavy metal meets melody, when class merges with power, and when energy melds with musicianship and creativity, the resulting force can be summed up in just two words: Musical bliss!
DRIVER is a classic heavy rock outfit that was formed in Los Angeles, CA out of the ashes of Joshua and Gypsy Moreno. The band was one of the top local acts at the height of melodic hard rock in the late 1980's and issued a widely circulated 5-song cassette EP demo in 1990 that garnered the band a dedicated worldwide following. DRIVER was ultimately denied by major labels with the emergence of the grunge rock scene that dominated the musical landscape during the early 90's, yet DRIVER has attained cult status as one of the most underrated hard rock acts of their time, and it has held steadfast throughout the years. Since then, the two main writers and members of Driver, powerhouse vocalist Rob Rock and acclaimed guitarist/producer Roy Z, have forged ahead to garner long successful careers in the music business.
Coming together to reform DRIVER in 2008, Rob Rock and Roy Z will finally get a chance to release the album they intended to deliver back when. With original drummer Reynold “Butch” Carlson” and seasoned players Ed Roth keyboards and Aaron Samson on bass guitar rounding out the line-up, DRIVER has resurrected their own musical niche that originally established the band as a timeless force to be reckoned with. This comes as no surprise to any lover of melodic hard rock, considering the backgrounds of the individuals involved.
Vocalist Rob Rock first came on the scene via the “M.A.R.S.: Project: Driver” record that was released in 1987 and enjoys international acclaim to this day. Recording with various bands and projects over the years, Rock is currently well known as one of the very few hard rock/metal singers with a successful solo career. Rock has added his writing and vocal talents to many great albums from Impellitteri, Joshua, Warrior, Avantasia, and Axel Rudi Pell, as well as his four solo albums. Dubbed by the press as “The Voice of Melodic Metal”, Rob Rock’s vocal range, phrasing, and unforgettable voice defines the vast variety of songs in the DRIVER repertoire.
Guitarist Roy Z handles the all important guitar duties as well as the production chores for DRIVER. Roy is currently one of the most sought after producers, with a resume that includes artists such as Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Judas Priest, Sebastian Bach, Helloween as well as his own group, Tribe of Gypsies. As a producer, songwriter and guitarist, Roy Z has always understood the value of songs as opposed to self-indulgent riffing and his work with DRIVER is the proof of that. With enough tasty chops to fill a meat freezer, and a plethora of crunchy riffs that distinguish the DRIVER sound as unmistakably unique, Roy Z is a guitar hero’s guitar hero.
Drummer Reynold Carlson supplied the beat for the Joey Tafolla record “Out of the Sun” that demanded not only somebody that could supply a fierce skin beating but perfect timing and versatility as well. Reynold supplied both with a vengeance, and with DRIVER he is called upon to deliver a hard driving beat and rock solid rhythms as well. Carlson has toured and recorded with artists as diverse as Jag Panzer, Tribe After Tribe, Missing Persons, Rob Rock and Kollarbone and is an avid drum collector, supplying vintage drum equipment for television and music productions throughout Los Angeles.
Edward Harris Roth’s soulful keyboard playing has made him the top choice of artists, producers and musicians worldwide. Roth’s instinctual feel has allowed him to amass credits in all sorts of musical genres. Edward has recorded and performed with vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple fame, guitar legend Ronnie Montrose, and metal god Rob Halford, as well as noted pop and R&B artists such as Sheena Easton, Coolio, the Brothers Johnson, and Sophie B. Hawkins. A friend of Rob Rock’s since their touring days with Impellitteri, Ed Roth was hand picked by DRIVER to add his distinct keyboard stylings to enhance their commercial heavy rock sound.
Bassist Aaron Samson signed his first record deal with the L.A. based metal band ODIN and was playing sold out Hollywood clubs shortly thereafter. After several recordings, an MTV video, and a “Decline Of Western Civilization - The Metal Years" movie appearance with Odin, Aaron began working as a professional sideman and formed his own original projects. Aaron has performed and recorded with many well known artists and producers including Andy Johns (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones), George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob), Rowan Robertson (Dio), and John 5 (Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson). With his extensive touring experience and musical talent, DRIVER recruited Aaron to supply his massive four-string attack to the bands new recordings.
Take first class vocals, add some gargantuan guitar playing, set it on top of a thunderous rhythm section, and mix in some subtle keyboard colorings and textures, and the result is the freshest and most exciting sound to ever permeate the classic melodic hard rock landscape.
DRIVER has stood the test of time, and will now finally see the light of day with their 2008 debut album recording.

The king of scream and melody is once again fronting Impellitteri. Chris Impellitteri and Rob Rock are currently recording at the Village Recorders in Los Angeles for the new Impellitteri CD titled "Good and Evil". They are recording 13 fast riff crazy tunes with all of the IMPELLITTERI signature shredding guitar solos, screaming vocals, pounding drums, brutal bass, with a lot of melody thrown in. And they are actually working with a co-producer, who is giving them some new and welcome input!! Rob reunites with long time friend and guitarist Chris Impellitteri for their first collaberation together since the Impellitteri "Crunch" album. The new record is being mixed in Vancouver with Greg Reely. This album will bring back some of the classic Rob Rock/Chris Impellitteri sounds of Screaming Symphony/Answer to the Master/Eye of the Hurricane along with some new sounds as well. According to Chris Impellitteri "this is by far the most amazing recording he have been involved with". Impellitteri "Good and Evil" is an attempt to rival the best. And now for all of the patient fans --- ROB ROCK is officially back in the band.

Current members

- Rob Rock - vocals (2000–present)
- Carl Johan Grimmark - guitars (2004–present)
- Daniel Hall - guitars (2004–present)
- Andreas Olsson - bass (2004–present)
- Andreas Johanssen - drums (2004–present)
- Roy Z - guitars , bass, keyboard (fulltime member from 2000 till 2003, is is now only a studio member)

Solo discography

- Rage of Creation (2000)
- Eyes of Eternity (2003)
- Holy Hell (2005)
- Garden of Chaos (2007)

Follow the links to listen how the projects of Rob Rock sound.

Driver
Impellitteri
Rob Rock

Some of you have asked questions to Rob Rock.
I've contact him to ask your questions.
Till today no answers back.
When Rob will answer your questions I will add the answers for you.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm

I think Rob Rock is probably one of the best singers in the Christian Metal inudstry.

I like most of his one off singing projects (Angelica, Joshua, Warrior, Fires of Babylon etc.). I'd also say his work with Impellitteri is just as good if not better than most of those. But hands down my favorite material that he has done is in his solo records. They are almost guarenteed to be my favorite album each year they are released. I hope he continues to make music for years.

rockerVu2

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:34 am

There's no bad Rob Rock project.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:24 pm

I hope it's not to much information?

What's your favorite Rob Rock project?
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5326
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:06 pm

1 - Holy Hell
2 - The Code Of Life
3 - Screaming Symphony
4 - Eye Of The Hurricane

But, they're all great!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Hmmm tough choice......

1. Holy Hell
2. Garden of Chaos
3. Rage of Creation
4. Eyes of Eternity
5. Impellitteri - Eye of the Hurricane

(but I'm missing some of his stuff)

Staybrite

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Okay, besides the Impellitteri albums and the solo discs. What other albums did Rob sing on? I only have these but I know he did others. (and I'm thinking of albums where he is the main vocalist)

Warrior - The Code of Life
Angelica - s/t
Joshua - Intense Defense
Fires of Babylon - s/t

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:20 am

I've liked almost everything Rob has done except for the Warrior CD. The songs were well done, but they just didn't have any hooks in my opinion. So, I got rid of it after it sat on the shelf for years collecting dust.

Some of the peeps at the CMR have said the same thing about Fires Of Babylon, but I really like that. It's a touch more thrashy than Rob's other material, but it's still great stuff.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm

I kind of have mixed feelings about the Fires of Babylon disc. I do think it is a great disc and certainly a keeper (it will get plenty of playtime in my coolection).

I think the problem is mainly that it kind of pales in comparison to Rob's recent solo work. Some of the music is a bit more repetative than Rob's last few solo discs, and for some reason it sounds like Rob is singing in a tube (or something like that) on much of the record. I actually think the Fires of Babylon disc would have been much better received by the Christiam metal fans in general if they had used a different singer.
It's not that Rob did a substandard job.....but I think the material on this album is getting compared to his last two solo albums and it doesn't quite hold up to that standard.
Still it is better than many current Christian metal albums.

rockerVu2

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:06 am

I've gotten an e-mail of Liza Rock.
She asked me if it's not to late to answer the questions you have asked to Rob.
I told her it's not to late and we like it very much when Rob will answer the questions.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 am

How many questions did you end up with for Rob, Vonnie? I'd be very interested in reading the answers to our questions.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:40 am

I asked the questions who has been asked by Fundy, Staybrite and you.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd

kethdredd

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Out of all the RR stuff I have I think that Driver- Songs of Thunder is my absolute favorite.

Rob has quite an impressive discography, collecting everything he sang on would be pretty costly.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:51 pm

kethdredd wrote:
Out of all the RR stuff I have I think that Driver- Songs of Thunder is my absolute favorite.

I must add that album to my coolection.

Spotlight of ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight of ...   Spotlight of ... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotlight of ...
Page 1 of 1