Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kickstarter

Go down 
+5
Xid
kerrick
rockerVu2
Staybrite
ishmael81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Can someone explain how Kickstarter works?

I want to contribute to Michael Knott's one that's going on right now but wondered how it worked. Do I pay up front and then get refunded if he doesn't hit goal? Help!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Not sure exactly, but I was under the impression that you get billed only after the artist meets their goal. There is still no guarantee that they will put out an album.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 pm

That's why I don't do kickstarter projects.
My contribution to the band will be to order their CD.
Now, that's support too isn't it?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Not sure exactly, but I was under the impression that you get billed only after the artist meets their goal. There is still no guarantee that they will put out an album.

^This is true.  I've helped fund a few Kickstarters and I know there are a number of folks who've been burned by 'em, though I've had only positive experiences.  This is a typical example:

Band needs $2000 to record their new album so they start a Kickstarter.  If enough people pledge $2000 before date some predetermined date set by the band, then the project is funded and the people who pledged the money are then billed.  The band may have different tiers, such as:

$10 - digital download
$20 - physical CD + digital download
$30 - physical CD + digital download + shirt
$100 - physical CD + digital download + shirt + dinner with the band
etc.

If the project is not funded, you don't pay anything.  I know you can change your pledge, though I'm not sure the specifics (such as whether or not you can un-pledge, etc.).

I hope that answers your questions!

Last edited by kerrick on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:42 pm

^^That's how it works!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

That's it exactly.  However, after you are billed, the band can give you the album but is sounds nothing like you expect like Guardian did.  I hate that I supported that.  Or, they could not put the album out at all.  Of course, when they do that, their careers are over as they will be labeled as crooks.  So, there are still some risks to it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I trust Knott as I have quite a bit of his stuff and the Kickstarter is for a new CD EP and a DVD of one of his albums performed live all theway through - so mostly material I'm familiar with...
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I think one thing that is important to keep in mind is that it is different from a pre-sale.  Look up any Kickstarter thread over on CMR and you'll see people complaining about "paying" $20 for a CD.  Well, not really.  Really you are investing $20 in that band/artist's work and they are rewarding your faith with a CD.  You may say it is just semantics, and ok, maybe it is.  But the latter way is the way it is designed to operate and leads to less frustration. 

Some artists will keep you updated on their progress along the way.  Steve Taylor has been great about that and I think The Choir was as well (those are the only two I've ever done).  It seems Guardian sucked at it given all the bad feelings people had by the time the album was available.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

I took part in Guardian's Kickstarter.  I'm a little disappointed that the album isn't more true to their roots and I enjoy the album.  I believe in what Guardian has done and is doing and I would do it again with them in a heartbeat.  They are a great group of guys.  So it took longer than than planned.  That's life.  Things don't always go according to plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 am

I would disagree with the "investment in a band" idea.  An investment gives the impression that you will actually make a return with it.  All you are doing is paying for product in advance.  Kickstarter is just a fancy way of saying that so that fans don't get freaked out over a pre-sale.  Period.  Ok, so there might be some cool rewards if you want to spend even more.  It's still a pre-sale.  A rose by any other name is still as sweet.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 am

I chose to wait it out on Bloodgood's release. When the CD was available I ordered it then. But I missed out on the bonus track "The Word". It's OK, I got the new CD and I am happy with it, I think it was 15 bucks.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 9:25 am

I see what you guys are saying about investment... I do kinda think of it that way though. With the one I pledged to yesterday, they're using the money to record the concert and the EP, then press them to DVD and CD. I pledged $35 for a DVD of the show, a CD of the EP and a download of mp3's of the concert. I thought that was worth it...
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 1:59 pm

You know what I'd like to see? A sticky thread about upcoming kickstarters. I am all for contributing if the artist is someone I believe in, but I never seem to hear about them until it is too late! Sad
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Not related to Kickstarter, but related to paying money... I just went to the Bloodgood site because I had not been there in a long time. They have a back stage pass where you can get downloads, band chats, news, etc.. for 10 bucks a month! No thanks!
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 7:53 am

Interesting to read this all about kickstarter projects.
Is that the future for bands to realize their new albums ... kickstarter?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 5:32 pm

I think that Kickstarter is already starting to peak.  The market is already reaching critical mass as EVERYONE has their hand out trying to get you to fund their project.  I think that many music fans have been repulsed by this.

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I think that Kickstarter is already starting to peak.  The market is already reaching critical mass as EVERYONE has their hand out trying to get you to fund their project.  I think that many music fans have been repulsed by this.

Yes and no...  Bands have continuously been screwed over by the labels and entities like Kickstarter allows the bands far more control over their output.  Also, due to this current age of the internet and instantaneous information acquisition [wow, three big words in a row; that's a record for me!] - as well as cheaper/available manufacturing (or purely digital) capabilities, the need for label companies is well on the decline.  Any band can get their name and music out there via social media and such.  And now with things like Kickstarter, they can actually get the money they need to put a record out rather than relying on the labels to front that money.

The thing about Kickstarter is that it operates off a capitalistic supply/demand framework.  The "backers" only back the projects they want to and leave the rest behind.  So yeah, there are a ton of folks doing Kickstarters now, asking for money and such, but I dunno, I haven't found it difficult to sift through those at all.  I think it's a pretty great way for bands, up-and-coming filmmakers, inventors, etc. to successfully accomplish feats they'd otherwise be unable to or at the mercy of overbearing labels/corporations/investors/whatever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kickstarter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter   Kickstarter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstarter
Page 1 of 1