Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recording question

Go down 
+4
unworthy
alldatndensum
Staybrite
ishmael81
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:10 pm

So, I've started writing some songs, or some loose structures of songs, and am looking at recording.

Anybody have any recommendations for recording gear? I have a computer and have thought about Audacity. Thoughts?

Anything would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I would suggest you start with a guitar, or keyboard....but that's just me.

But seriously the only recording I have ever done was almost 20 years ago on an old TEAC analog 8-channel recorder (that used casette tapes!).  So not sure I would be of much help.   Laughing

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm

I've actually seen one of those... in a pawn shop. I have two acoustic guitars, one with a pickup so I can plug in. I want an electric, and I have an organ I got from a church...

I need microphones and that kind of thing. I also wonder about buying electronic drums, since I can plug them directly into my computer to record, or if a drum machine is better (and smaller) or drum software....

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:08 pm

My friend had a relatively inexpensive drum machine, and it was horrible sounding on the recordings.  I mean it kept great time, but the drums always sounded so artificial compared to the guitar, bass and vocals on his recordings.  I would say avoid them if at all possible, or use them temporarily to keep time and mute out the track once you can manage to put "real" drums on the recording.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Unless you drop some big bucks, even electric drums sound fake.  I have that issue on my albums.

I would suggest getting some sort of software.  The old cassette recorders won't do what you want to do sound wise.  I table top digital unit could, like I use, but you are limited with editing.  I now have a computer and hope to use Magix Music Studio.  It's simplistic without much learning curve.  That appeals to me.

As for mics, if you are going to multi-track and do the recording yourself, you will need a couple of good Shure mics (one SM57 and one SM58).  They are not very pricey and can give you the sound you want for recording your instruments or vocals.  If you can plug directly in with all your instruments, then spend the money on a good condenser mic for singing.  I actually only use one mic while recording and that is for my vocals.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 5:05 pm

I bought drum loops .. they are awesome. Smile

unfortunately my guitar playing.. not so much lol

you can plug your guitar into your input.. but I would recommend getting a mic and an amp.. also, check your sound card.. not all sound cards will be able to handle higher level recording.. I know mine tends to have a delay which really makes it hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Before I chime in, what do you think of this: Four Horsemen
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 am

I'm curious to the result ishmael.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

Xid wrote:

I think it's sounds pretty good. I wouldn't use that guitar tone - but that's a preference that's irrelevant to the discussion.

Why?
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
I'm curious to the result ishmael.

Ha ha! Me too!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Unless you drop some big bucks, even electric drums sound fake.  I have that issue on my albums.

I would suggest getting some sort of software.  The old cassette recorders won't do what you want to do sound wise.  I table top digital unit could, like I use, but you are limited with editing.  I now have a computer and hope to use Magix Music Studio.  It's simplistic without much learning curve.  That appeals to me.

As for mics, if you are going to multi-track and do the recording yourself, you will need a couple of good Shure mics (one SM57 and one SM58).  They are not very pricey and can give you the sound you want for recording your instruments or vocals.  If you can plug directly in with all your instruments, then spend the money on a good condenser mic for singing.  I actually only use one mic while recording and that is for my vocals.

Maybe you hear it but I enjoy the drums on your albums. I just don't want it to sound like bad 80's programmed pop, unless a specific song calls for that Smile

I actually was looking at the SM57 and SM58 - Guitar Center has a pcakge with one each, mic cables and monitor speakers for like $170.

Since I have 3 of your albums, I appreciate your feedback (pun intended) about this. I enjoy your material and enjoy hearing about how I can record what I've written, even though it's pretty different styles...
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:43 am

ishmael81 wrote:
Xid wrote:

I think it's sounds pretty good. I wouldn't use that guitar tone - but that's a preference that's irrelevant to the discussion.

Why?
The recording was done with Audacity.
Guitar was recorded using a Pod Live XT plugged directly into the input on my computer. 
Bass went from the bass amp to an ART Tube Preamp then into the computer input.
Drums were programmed on Rhythm Rascal by my friend who is a drummer.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 11:19 am

Xid wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Xid wrote:

Why?
Guitar was recorded using a Pod Live XT plugged directly into the input on my computer. 

Wow! I need to check out Rhythm Rascal - I play a little drums so I could probably program it. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 11:31 am

Rhythm Rascal is simple to use and you can find or create your own samples to build your own kit.  You can also export each piece of the kit as it's own track for mixing.  http://www.rhythmrascal.com/

On my first 2 albums I did the drum programming and it turned out all right.  The drums are very repetitive and a tad stale in parts.  So I asked my drummer friend, Tanner to come and program since I don't know anyone with an electronic kit nor do I have the means to record acoustic drums.  He's doing a fantastic job!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Xid wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Xid wrote:

Why?

I dig the drums, never would have guessed they were programmed, but then I'm not all that much of an expert.

Xid

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks!  I'll let Tanner know.

Every once in a while I hit the net looking for drum wav samples and stumble upon a really good one.  I pop it into my "kit" and see how it sounds.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 pm

So do you record everything then program the drums or plan the song and record with them in place?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:30 pm

When I was doing the programming I'd get the song arranged and work out the guitar part.  Then I'd program the drums and play guitar as I complete each section to make sure it fits. Once the drums are programmed I export them out of Rhythm Rascal and import them into Audacity.  The rhythm guitar then gets recorded, then bass, then lead guitar and vocals.

Since I've had a drummer doing the programming, I still arrange the song then just program steady beats for each section the song.  That way I can still record my other parts until Tanner and I can get together.  When he comes in we start at the beginning of the song and work out the drums one section at a time replacing the steady kick, snare beat with how Tanner would play it.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 am

ishmael81 wrote:
So do you record everything then program the drums or plan the song and record with them in place?

That is what I do.  I start with my rhythm guitars played to a click track.  I then add bass and scratch vocals (they don't have to be keepers).  I then get my brother Darren or whoever else I use to come in and do the drums on my electric kit.  I then add real vocals and guitar solos.  Then, it takes 4 years to get the mix right.  LOL

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 3:04 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Then, it takes 4 years to get the mix right.  LOL
lol!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Xid wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
Then, it takes 4 years to get the mix right.  LOL
lol!

That made me laugh too. lol!

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:11 am

LOL ishmael, what style of music you try to record?
Hard rock ... cookie monster music, or an other music style.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Honestly, most of what I have is either acoustic folky type stuff, experimental alternative stuff or simple rock stuff... we'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 am

I'm getting ready to switch over to computer based recording.  I have a new Windows 7 machine and have just ordered new software that I think I can learn to use.  I had a monitor donated and can reuse my current monitors.  I have a M-Audio 2 track interface I can use for recording.  All I need is an adapter now to extend the wi-fi range from my house to the building out back so that I can occasionally share files via the internet.

Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 pm

The last time I recorded was 2005 and we used ProTools. It was my first experience with it. Forgive my ignorance,  but why use anything else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recording question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recording question   Recording question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recording question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next