Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  Empty
PostSubject: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  Radio_personalities_Kimberly_and_Beck_fired-syndImport-111608
Kimberly and Beck, hosts of "The Breakfast Buzz" on 98.9 The Buzz (WBZA-FM) have been fired.
The station issued the following statement via Twitter, "This morning Entercom fired Kimberly and Beck effective immediately. Their hateful comments against the transgender community do not represent our station or our company. We deeply apologize to the transgender community, the community of Rochester and anyone else who was offended by their comments. We are proud of our past work on behalf of the local LGBT community and we remain committed to that partnership."

On Tuesday, Kimberly and Beck, hosts of "The Breakfast Buzz" on 98.9 The Buzz, made offensive comments about the transgender community, this after the City of Rochester announced it would include transgender health benefits for employees. Those comments garnered national attention.
Today we spoke with Scott Fearing. He's the Executive Director of the Gay Alliance. He said, "This is one of those moments that as an executive director and as a community leader is sort of challenging in that I can't say that I'm happy that somebody has lost their job but what I am happy about it that the disc jockeys have learned there are consequences to their language and to their speech and that ignorance is never something that should be put out there and that a group of people shouldn't be made fun of."

Their firing comes one day after Entercom Media, the company that owns "The Buzz" suspended the duo
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm

How were the comments offensive I wonder?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 2:37 pm

I listened to about a 12 minute segment that the Huffington Post had on their website (see link below).  The biggest issue I could see with it is that they took people who wanted sex changes as a joking matter.  But keep in mind they are radio hosts and the current trend is a "shock jock" kind of talk radio (especially on morning shows).  So yes maybe some of their comments were "insensitive" to the "transgender community" (what ever the heck that means).  But I thought stuff like that was the norm for FM radio hosts/djs.
We had a local radio show host let go from his 12+ year gig with one of the local radio stations because his talk wasn't "shocking enough" for the stations demographic (he was immediately snatched up by another local station btw, which is what I expect will happen with these two).  Like I said on Mac's facebook account, I guess you can only be controversial if you are on the politically correct side of the controversy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/22/kimberly-and-beck-transphobic-radio-_n_5372738.html

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 4:04 pm

I listened to it too and I agree with Kimberly & Beck 100%. Their whole point was that City Of Rochester taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for city employees to get sex changes. I like Kimberly's comment relating to women with breast cancer and having to fight insurance companies to pay for reconstructive surgery because of the cancer. It's just not fair. They did approach it in kind of a joking manner but I didn't find either Kim or Beck's comments insensitive. Well except maybe when Beck made the comment about the boy on the girls softball team having two bats <ROTFL> But still there have been other "shock jocks" on local radio here who have said much more controversial things and not gotten fired!
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 6:47 pm

To condense what I said on your FB post:  obviously their comments hit the network in the balance sheet.  They pay these folks to be edgy and controversial, but only until it starts to affect the bottom line.  Just like Imus a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 6:51 pm

So they were fired for not toeing the LGBT party line. Welcome to the brave new world and as christians, it's going to get uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 6:32 am

I'd view this from a slightly different angle: I wouldn't go out of my way to offend anyone, whether or not I agree with what he/she believes. Yes, the truth can be (and probably is) offensive, but I won't make fun of someone just for the heck of it.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 10:59 am

That's a good point Driven though in the world those two were inhabiting being offensive is the job. It's becoming unclear as to who it's ok to offend, or rather, it's shifting to who it's ok to offend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired    Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local Radio Talkshow Hosts Fired
Page 1 of 1