Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...

Go down 
+10
messiaen77
topshot rhit
Readi_Sketti
alldatndensum
Redeemed Fool
Xid
Samson
Staybrite
kerrick
Guilty/Forgiven
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... Empty
PostSubject: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Have ANY career in the world, and be fully qualified instantly...

What would you do ? Stay where you're at ? Or have you thought about or fantasized of a career that maybe you could never do for one reason or another - but would LOVE to be able to do.

Mine would be a highly skilled computer geek who knew practically everything about computers. I'd have the ability to whip out complicated web designs with ease, rebuild PCs and fix anything software or hardware.

That's my "dream" that will never happen.

How about you ?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 3:58 pm

So for a long time now I've fantasized of owning my own bar/concert-venue/brewery.  For the venue, it'd cater towards Christian metal (obviously!) but would also minister to the many non/anti-Christian metal bands out there who would be treated really well by this establishment.  My friends always [lovingly] make fun of me because oftentimes if we go out to the bars, somehow I end up ministering/listening to some sad drunk and encouraging them and what-not.  Might as well get paid to do it haha!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 4:00 pm

^ I LIKE that !  Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm

Some day...  If I ever win the lotto (guess I should start playing...), that is what I would do!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm

I would love to own and operate a popular restaurant where we actually made good food that people loved.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Without straying too much off the subject - we went to see Third Day at this huge outdoor venue on a hot summer day. All the refreshment booths were hoppin' except one... It was a Corona booth with 3 employees just leaning on the counter staring at everyone. I cracked up and went over to chat with them a bit. They said no one told them this was a religious function and that no one would be buying. We had a nice talk about hypocrasy and our freedom to have a beer if we wanted to. It was pretty cool. If I had cash, I would have bought a brew for my wife and I and shook the audience up a little... but alas, they didn't accept cards.
Just a funny story
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Auto mechanic
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Full time musician.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

I'd love to be an author. I love reading and the way a good author can draw you in and get you to fully invest into the characters in a story. I'm not ashamed to admit i've felt like the people in stories were friends.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 pm

I think I would be happy writing novels or being a professional musician as well.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm

To be honest, working in ministry is what I want to do.  I am a youth pastor right now but hope to someday transition into the senior pastor role.  I'd love a church that has great worship but focuses more on it's outreach to the community around it.

On the side, I'd like to be at least a paid musician.  It doesn't have to be full time.  I wouldn't mind dabbling in being an author or actor.

I could be a very busy man if I did all that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Readi_Sketti

Readi_Sketti

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Awesome guys :)I don't know what my dream job would be. I have quiet a few things I would like to do.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Mine would be a highly skilled computer geek who knew practically everything about computers. I'd have the ability to whip out complicated web designs with ease, rebuild PCs and fix anything software or hardware.
I'm living your dream (sort of). Freaky. Sadly, I have no desire to be a pharmacy tech so we can't do one of those switcheroo movies.

I'm quite happy where I am but would like to expand into other areas (my niche is software and databases for manufacturing plants).

Though if you'll count full-time volunteer as a career, that would be my choice though it wouldn't pay any bills. Razz

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 9:21 pm

I want to be an undertaker when I grow up!!! 

J/k 

I would love to do The Anvil full time or work in some type of youth ministry or with missions
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:20 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Without straying too much off the subject - we went to see Third Day at this huge outdoor venue on a hot summer day. All the refreshment booths were hoppin' except one... It was a Corona booth with 3 employees just leaning on the counter staring at everyone. I cracked up and went over to chat with them a bit. They said no one told them this was a religious function and that no one would be buying. We had a nice talk about hypocrasy and our freedom to have a beer if we wanted to. It was pretty cool. If I had cash, I would have bought a brew for my wife and I and shook the audience up a little... but alas, they didn't accept cards.
Just a funny story
That may be the real reason they didn't get any business--who carries cash anymore??

I'd stick with professoring, although I'd prefer to be doing it full-time instead of as an adjunct.  I just love teaching and talking about music and couldn't seriously imagine doing anything else. 

I do have a buried under a mound of grading, students asking the same question 40 times because they are too lazy to look at their syllabus escapist fantasy.  I want to be...a lumberjack!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am

topshot rhit wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I'm living your dream (sort of). Freaky. Sadly, I have no desire to be a pharmacy tech so we can't do one of those switcheroo movies.

I'm quite happy where I am but would like to expand into other areas (my niche is software and databases for manufacturing plants).

Though if you'll count full-time volunteer as a career, that would be my choice though it wouldn't pay any bills. Razz

You definitely DON'T want to be in pharmacy... though there are times when you can actually HELP people and some are grateful, most of the time all you're doing is being an "enabler" - I refill pain meds, sleep RX, sedatives, muscle relaxers, etc at least 4 out of every 10 med refills. I realize the world's in pain (heck so am I), but I've experienced SO many people who are addicted over the years. Lets just put it this way, I've had to call the police 3 times in the last 25 years and all 3 were cuz a person became so rowdy due to us not giving them their pain med (cuz the Dr denied it) and they wouldn't leave, one person was trying to climb over our counter and "take" her med off the shelf. Another person was so mad that his copay went up on his pain med, that he threw 3 bucks at me, grabbed the medicine (that had increased to 15 bucks per HIS insurance) and left the building. Another just stood there staring at us working and making threats so we would just give him his pain med.
The business is ruined by 30 to 40% of the customers who just want their "Dope"... I never signed up for this kind of crap.

So I said all that to say this: I reiterate that I would LOVE to have your knowledge Topshot ! I know just enough to fix and maintain all 18 PCs and 1 MacBook at work for the last 5 years, and am currently studying HTML5 (I use to be a whiz at early HTML and some JAVA, but in recent years they've changed so much that I feel lost with the latest stuff). I'd like to know PHP, MYSQL, and HTML5. Unfortunately, I'm a slow learner.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:01 am

Oh, and I've torn apart many PCs and Laptops, with the intention of "rebuilding" them with better parts... only to find out I have no idea what I'm doing (despite "Dummy" books and other resources)
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 am

messiaen77 wrote:
escapist fantasy.  I want to be...a lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of
British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!
The Little Whopping Rule Tree!
We'd sing! Sing! Sing!
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 am

For me, I'd still be an engineer.  I'd just be a well-paid engineer, which we all know is a myth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 am

All my life I have wanted to be a computer programmer, and that is what I do, so I essentially am doing what I want to do (except when I am expected to work in project management capacity; then it's all about answer emails, dealing with end-users, etc.  I just want to write code!)

Now, if I had the intelligence and creativity for it I would want to be a computer game programmer, preferably for a company like Blizzard or EA.  Sadly, I am only as smart as my last cup of coffee and about as creative as a worker bee, so I am stuck being a programmer for the government, designing "functional" web applications for use by government agencies and occasionally the public.
Back to top Go down
Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 am

I did that. I have an associates degree in Business Admin and I ended up working in a call centre offering technical support for a computer software company. I absolutely hated it! I had an epiphany I wanted to be a chef. So I left my career in technical support took a job as a cashier in a local grocery store, went to culinary school and now I'm working as a professional chef. My life long dream is to open up my own bistro. But I also aspire to use my talents serving in some kind of a food ministry.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Ah, but there is a big difference between developing software applications, which is what I do, and helping end-users, which is what it sounds like you did.  I worked tech support for a few years ... I was even tech support for AOL during the "hey day" ... and dealing with computer illiterate people can be very stressful. Even the ones that aren't completely illiterate can be difficult to deal with, as they usually know enough to be dangerous but less than they think they do.

I am also an online instructor, teaching computer-related courses, and some of the students remind me of the AOL end-users those many years ago. There are nights I go to bed with a major headache!
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Oh, and I've torn apart many PCs and Laptops, with the intention of "rebuilding" them with better parts... only to find out I have no idea what I'm doing (despite "Dummy" books and other resources)

LOL. Nowhere near as practical these days as it was a decade ago unless you're building a gaming system I suppose. In college we had to build our own PC (Mac really I guess since we used a Motorola 68000 processor) on a breadboard - talk about lots of wires! Then we had to write the low level code to run it. Not something I'd want to do now though I still have several of the chips I used. I'm lazy. Smile

BearDad wrote:
I just want to write code!
Amen! My son is hoping to get into game programming, but he doesn't seem to be very motivated.

Mac

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:50 pm

I was working with end users. Mostly grouchy people because their computers weren't working properly.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
For me, I'd still be an engineer.  I'd just be a well-paid engineer, which we all know is a myth Very Happy

Oh man I hear you! I just want to be able to bill for engineering what I was able to get back in 2008!

PostSubject: Re: CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...   CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CAREER: If you could snap your fingers and...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: