Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14

Go down 
+5
rockerVu2
Through The Dark Radio
alldatndensum
MikeInFla
Staybrite
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 Empty
PostSubject: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Sorry, but I'm more than a little late with this installment of the dumb kwestion thread.

This one you might find not so dumb, and I expect it might spark some interesting conversation (please keep it civil).

Do you think people are basically bad, or basically good? (try to explain your choice)

Last edited by Staybrite on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

It depends on which standard you are are basing the question.  According to man's standards people are basically good:  There are more people living free than in prison.  According to God's standards people are basically bad which is why we need a savior.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Not really a dumb question... I know a LOT of good people. But we are all bad as Xid stated above.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Xid wrote:
It depends on which standard you are are basing the question.  According to man's standards people are basically good:  There are more people living free than in prison.  According to God's standards people are basically bad which is why we need a savior.

Oh man, that is basically the exact thing I was going to say! I will elaborate a little more and say that I lean towards people being basically bad (even by man's standard). I believe what keeps many people from committing more evil (even those "little evils") is the fear of being caught and the retribution it will bring.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I think that people are mostly bad but are capable of doing good at times.  You can have a murderer who treated his kids great.  You can have a prostitute that cares for her ailing mother.  In the end, however, the Bible says that men are only continually evil.  I am going to have to go with God Almighty on this one.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Now the question becomes is all of mankind bad or evil? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 am

Quote :
In the end, however, the Bible says that men are only continually evil.  I am going to have to go with God Almighty on this one.

My answer to your question, Through The Dark Radio, has already been stated.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16573
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 am

People can be bad and good.

When God comes in the live of a person, it's impossible he stays the same.
After all, if God comes into your life you never will be the same. His love and the working of His Holy Spirit helps you to change. 
The old you is forgiven by the blood of Jesus.

You are a new creation.
A forgiven sinner.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 12:26 pm

To answer the original question, I believe that people are basically selfish.  Is it bad or good?  That depends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
To answer the original question, I believe that people are basically selfish.  Is it bad or good?  That depends.

I could see being selfish as good if you're not willing to share, let's say a ready-to-explode hand grenade or something along that nature.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Xid wrote:

I could see being selfish as good if you're not willing to share, let's say a ready-to-explode hand grenade or something along that nature.

In which case, that's simultaneously altruism…

Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Driven wrote:
Xid wrote:

In which case, that's simultaneously altruism…

Wink
There's a new band name:  Selfish Altruism.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

No one is listed with that name on Metal Archives so you're good to go Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

No one is listed with that name on Metal Archives so you're good to go Very Happy

I'll let somebody else take that one.  They can also have Balsamic Vengeance.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm

My next band shall be named Geriatric Rectal Explosion.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 5:13 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
My next band shall be named Geriatric Rectal Explosion.

Name of your first album "Depends"?

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 5:25 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm with this one.  I think people generally act out of their own self-interest.  Sometimes that leads to good, positive, beneficial behaviors, sometimes not.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm going to TOTALLY answer this from a different angle than the endless Facebook answer (Gary looks to the sky and says "Thank you Jesus !!!")

Sidestepping the Born in Sin doctrine, and the sin nature issue (that we already hashed out on FB) - I obviously believe the Biblical view that we are all born sinners and inherit Adam's sin and have "Original Sin"... however, I'm here gonna answer the question at face value and from personal experience. 

Do you think people are basically bad, or basically good?

I think people are basically good. Reason being is, the majority of people in society are not doing bad things against people all the time. Rather, the opposite is true - I find people want to be good (even though we're ALL sinners), they want to be noticed for some good deed or the feeling they have when they help someone. Most people I pass by nod their heads in a "hello" manner. Most people are quick to pick something up for me when I drop something in line at the grocery store - On many occasions people who have lots of items on the conveyer belt notice the person behind them holding one or 2 items and say "you can go ahead of me.."
Sure, these are small things, but I've seen bigger things too: I've seen accidents happen and multiple people pull over and rush to help those in the accident and even direct traffic around them...

I could go on and on, but you get my point. Do these "good" actions make them "saved" in God's plan of salvation ? No way. But that was not your question, and btw that is an entirely different discussion altogether. But do I think people are basically good ? Yes, a large majority of the population wouldn't think twice about helping a person in REAL need (and people who are scam artists like these guys with the cardboard signs asking for money - people STILL pull over and give them money... that's good for the giver, and I hope for the taker's sake, he's not scamming people).

So from a doctrinal perspective: NO
From a observational perspective: YES
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 am

^Yep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14   Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dumb Kwestion of the Week #14
Page 1 of 1