Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The REZ cover art discussion thread

Go down 
+2
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

The REZ cover art discussion thread Empty
PostSubject: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:26 pm

We all know REZ's cover art is really wild... now it's time to interpret it.

Let's start with Silence Screams- what's going on here ? I can pretty much decipher meaning behind most of it, but what has me stumped is the woman and child pushing a door ?? is that a church ?? what are they doing ?

On the cassette you can see the full painting which has a blindfolded woman with the cross - false doctrine ? And what looks like a man from China bleeding ?

Interpretation time !

The REZ cover art discussion thread 4c8d5b10The REZ cover art discussion thread Rez_si11
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I was reading an article written at the time of this album's release and they talked about the evils of the music label/industry... so my thought is, the guy in the chair is a musician and the shark and wolf are the music label mucky mucks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 5:07 pm

This is an odd cover for sure...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm

The article i read in an '88 interview talked about how the band had not released an album for a while and people said there seemed to be a "silence" from them... yet in reality the band had been very busy in ministry, thus the idea behind the name "Silence Screams". They also talked about the "evils" of the music industry, which is why I interpret the shark and wolf to be industry business money-men, and they've "taken the shirt off the back" of the "artist"... What I still don't understand is the man with the bloody mouth or the woman and child opening a door.

The skeleton dude could be "gaining the world, but losing your soul" ? He's so money-minded, yet he's really dead inside...

idk - interpretations ??
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 4:06 am

I have no clue personally....but it's one freaky looking album cover.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 am

The woman and child outside probably represent the starving family not being supported by the musician being ripped off by the label.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 5:47 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
The woman and child outside probably represent the starving family not being supported by the musician being ripped off by the label.

Now THAT's a good interpretation !! Very good ! Very Happy

Now what about the China man with the bloody lip and the blind woman holding a cross ??? Verrrry strange !
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 6:47 pm

women and children left out in the cold...

greed keeps Christ's word at bay (bottom scene)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 10:11 am

I always thought it represented songs on the album. The shark and the wolf represent the landlord in "Waitin' on Sundown" while the man is the father of the family in the next room. The money guy at the bottom represents victims of greed in that song and the fire below him also represents the victims of wars (Someone Sleeps).
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Well that just makes all the sense in the world now doesn't it ??

Leave it to me to not even compare the art to the lyrics on the album... duh.

ishmael81 I think you've cleared up the confusion 100%. In light of the album's lyrics, the cover art makes perfect sense !
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 pm

OK, next album... the comical "Ampendectomy"

Prolly doesn't need much interpreting, but what's your take on the cover art ?

The REZ cover art discussion thread Resurr10
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Did they go acoustic/soft on that album?
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:14 pm

it was basically an "unplugged" album yes.. so that would explain the cover.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 am

Yep, that was an easy one.

Howabout Rainbow's End ? Think they were trying to reach the New Agers at the time ? I see a darkness and light at battle in the background, but what's the woman rep ?

The REZ cover art discussion thread Resurr11
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 am

I love the little amp in the jar on Ampendectomy...

Awaiting Your Reply - I've always wondered how much control they had over the art. It's kinda out there but if you think about other hard rock/metal releases from 77,78 and 79 it fits right in.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 pm

That's true, Awaiting Your Reply and Rainbow's End both resemble the cover art of the time. A lot of bands had the whole New Age, psychedelia type stuff that I think REZ was going for at the time - only with a Biblical slant.

The REZ cover art discussion thread Resurrectionband-1978-awaitingyourreply

Kinda looks like a woman washing her hair in the sink, then she looks up to see herself in the mirror... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

That's another weird one. I agree it looks like twin sisters washing their hair at the same time.

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm

On rainbows end I think the woman represents heaven and maybe and angel.

On awaiting your reply I think the women are waiting on Gods reply to them...possibly one is waiting on the lords reply and the lord is waiting on the others reply. just a thought. I agree that the style of art would have been considered cutting edge at the time of release.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The REZ cover art discussion thread   The REZ cover art discussion thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The REZ cover art discussion thread
Page 1 of 1