Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT

Go down 
+4
Timshell64
Fundy
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT Empty
PostSubject: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 am

How come DVP's Heaven's Metal Magazines from it's 1st issue in 1985 STILL is not available on an archived searchable CD-ROM ?

How can a project like that be completed ? I would pay upwards to 50 bucks for a disk containing the classic issues of Heaven's Metal. If I, as one person, would pay that amount, surely it's worth the time for whoever has the archived issues to scan them out and put them in a PDF format.

Multitudes of magazines can be bought on CD-Rom/DVD-Rom nowadays... it's 2012 for goodness sakes - Why not Heaven's Metal ?? eh ??

Last edited by Guilty/Forgiven on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 2:14 am

I did it... I sent an e-mail to Doug.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Ok, so I just got a response from Doug... it's what I expected and certainly cannot blame the guy...
Here's his response:

"TIME

(the time to do it is the reason why. i'd love to have something like that available. i'm not gonna do it. to say i don't have the time is an understatement - and leaves out a lot of emotion and passion in explaining.)

Doug Van Pelt
Editor
HM Magazine
est. 1985
www.hmmag.com
PO Box 4626
Lago Vista TX 78645
"
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 pm

So what we need is someone who already has the collection from 1985 to 1995 to get scanning !

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 pm

That would be cool, I would probably buy something like that myself....but I can certainly understand why DVP wouldn't have to invest the time into doing it.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Yea, I mentioned to him that maybe someday someone he knows would be willing to volunteer their time to a project like that so he wouldn't have to. He wrote back and agreed that would be something he would ad to his list... guess he doesn't get much help. It appears he does most everything himself, which is a shame. If I lived nearby, I would go over and volunteer my time for the next few months to complete a project like that.
Others at CMR claim to have a lot of those old issues, but say they don't have time.
To which I say, scan a page or two every week, wouldn't take but 2 minutes of your time and after a while you'll realize you've already scanned an entire issue.... then start another one. Idk, maybe it's cuz I've done similar projects before, due to my OCD of organizing that I don't understand why no one is willing to make this happen.

If someone was willing to mail me issues, I'd be more than willing to take on the job myself as I have experience in archiving scanned documents and making them searchable.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 pm

If I had any issues I would certainly mail them to you.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 6:14 pm

It's pretty cool that CCM magazine has made available, for free to everyone, their issues going back over 10 years.
Granted, I'd much rather read about Amy Wolter than Amy Grant, but there's still a lot of great articles from a great magazine.

http://www.ccmmagazine.com/magazines/2012/

Now if only we can get HM on PDF...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Doesn't seem like anyone here at CHM is interested, but I wanted to post my progress on this anyways...

This is my letter to Doug:

"I know you're a busy man, sorry to bug you again. I just wanted to inquire about something.

Assorted fans I know of early Heaven's Metal have some of the old issues (the ones that are totally out of print and unattainable). They are willing to scan some of these issues themselves to share with others who are unable to afford 50 bucks on ebay for 1 issue.

Are there any permissions needed to scan OOP issues ? If you okd the scanning of these old treasures, would you like for the scans to be sent to you for a possible future digital archive ?

I want to respect you by asking you first and not just doing this without your knowledge. I also realize there may be legal reasons preventing this action, but I'm hoping that there's a way for those of us who wish to read the early issues.

Thanks again for your time,
Jim"

And Doug just wrote me back:

"Hi Jim
I think we might be able to work something out.
Please give me a day (or two) to figure this out.

Doug Van Pelt
Editor
HM Magazine
est. 1985
www.hmmag.com
PO Box 4626
Lago Vista TX 78645"
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Doesn't seem like anyone here at CHM is interested, but I wanted to post my progress on this anyways...

Well I was interested until you got all snotty and superior on us.

Just kidding lol! I know you aren't getting nearly the response here that you are at the CMR, but keep us updated anyway.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT Item29429m_jpg
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 am

Just an update in case anyone here is interested.

Doug has okd the scanning of issues #1 through 54 - the first 10 years of Heaven's Metal and I'll be doing the image editing prior to shipping them off to HM. Prolly be a few months in before this is finished but, it's gonna be an awesome piece of history to have available !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

How many people do you have working on the scans? And have you settled on a resolution and format? I''m assuming PDF, but 200x200 or 300x300....or better? (how's that for showing an interest?) Laughing

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Thank you for your interest my good man.

I have standards for the finished product as far as the resolution scanned, however, I'm gonna take what I can get and format them as best as possible (we're working with a rag-tag group of people on this, so who knows how they'll turn out). I've instructed everyone to scan at the highest rez on their scanners, from there I will compile the work accordingly.

I currently have twleve 80s and early 90s issues en route to my house for editing. Hopefully others will follow suit and fill in the gaps to complete this project.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm interested enough to want to buy it when it comes out. I subscribed to Cornerstone back in the day and always wanted to subscribe to HM, but I never got that round tuit they seemed to require. Wink
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I have an old Cornerstone issue ! It's from the 70s... not sure if it's worth anything. The front cover is torn... it's too big to scan otherwise I'd copy it for the amusement of others.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Project Heaven's Metal Classic Issues CD-Rom is in need of issue #20.

We currently have issues #19 and #21 thru 42 scanned.

I am currently scanning Issues #1 through 17

There are some who have said they'll scan #18 and #43 thru #54, but I have not heard from them.

However, no one seems to have issue # 20

(and yes the standard is 300x300)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 4:07 pm

This is the issue with sacred warrior on the cover..this would actually be a cool issue to own.
There is a copy on ebay for $47.99.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Good news on the Heaven's Metal 1st 10 years on PDF project ! It's coming together like it's meant to be !

At this point we're only short 3 issues out of 54 ! Not too bad.

I've been scanning and editing the first years issues from '85, and I have a faithful friend in Australia who's scanned the majority of the rest.
(It's pretty cool to be holding an authentic actual first issue in my hands !!)

DVP is quite happy with the progress being made. In fact, a website that posts Christian magazine information has requested through Doug that I send them the covers of each issue for his website.

This project has become a huge blessing to those involved and should help Doug out with some low-overhead income.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5331
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 pm

I only have one mag left, and that was the one with Echo Hollow on the front.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

This is a cool project.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Very cool indeed!

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Hey G/f I am so thankful you took the initiative to do this. i know there are allot of us who would be interested in owning a copy of the finished product. I know I would. Sorry i did not have any issues tolet you scan. But let me know what it takes to get a copy of the finished product!!

Tim
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 9:37 am

I am going to make a startling self-revelation here.

I have never read or even looked at a single issue of Heaven's Metal magazine or the later rendition of HM magazine.

There, I said it, let the mocking begin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT   Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven's Metal Magazine PROJECT
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next