Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ambiguity in bands

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
silentthunder89
theoriginalironman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 6:39 pm

It hits me like a knife in the heart when I read about bands whose music has allusions to theology, but state that they aren't a Christian band. These bands claim that while they're members are Christians, but they hide behind a cloud of ambiguity and it just makes me sick.

I can't help it- bands like Creed, 12 Stones, Evanescence, they just strike a certain nerve in me because the ultimate goal of any true Christian is to spread the gospel.

Reading an article about Creed from Christianity Today, I come away with this- While we don't want to come across as narrow-minded believers, we also don't want to compromise God's truth just to sound tolerant. I'm easily reminded of James 1:8- "Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do." (NLT)

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I don't like either one, but I would much rather a band say they're Christians in a band (but not accepting the "Christian band" label) and have ambiguity suggesting greater meaning as opposed to a band saying they're a christian band but not backing it in their lyrics.
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Thing is, there are bands out there who have managed commercial success without compromising their message. I know of one band in particular that I know was forced into a name change that, to me, have decided to go the "Christians in a secular band" routine and it makes no sense, because they did/still do have a big following and they have the ears of a lot of kids who need some direction and need to come face to face with Almighty God- and I don't think there's any room for ambiguity in that.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23434
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 pm

So you are saying that all Christians in music have to perform in a "Christian Band"?

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Third Day is one of the bands that have had commercial success while still maintaining their lyrical stance. Heck, they had Chevrolet underwriting their concerts for several years. They may still--I don't know if they do or not. But, Chevy knew who these guys were and what they stood for but chose to sponsor their tour anyway. Why? Because they were selling quite a few CDs and tickets to Christians. Christians buy cars too, you know?

I think there is room for Christians who do not use their music as an evangelistic tool, bands/artists that stand in the middle between the Christian & secular realms (like Skillet & Switchfoot), and then the in your face Jesus bands like HB. It takes all of them to reach the world!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Staybrite wrote:
So you are saying that all Christians in music have to perform in a "Christian Band"?

Certainly not- not at all. I just wonder why any would do other wise.
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:49 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Third Day is one of the bands that have had commercial success while still maintaining their lyrical stance. Heck, they had Chevrolet underwriting their concerts for several years. They may still--I don't know if they do or not. But, Chevy knew who these guys were and what they stood for but chose to sponsor their tour anyway. Why? Because they were selling quite a few CDs and tickets to Christians. Christians buy cars too, you know?

I think there is room for Christians who do not use their music as an evangelistic tool, bands/artists that stand in the middle between the Christian & secular realms (like Skillet & Switchfoot), and then the in your face Jesus bands like HB. It takes all of them to reach the world!

Thats what I have always thought about with Disciple. Granted they haven't really hit the mainstream like Skillet and others but they have never wavered from thier faith. I know that they had been looking to push Dear X to mainstream radio but not sure if they have yet. But they are a band who have never backed down from thier faith and are very open about it in thier music. They have the sound that is eating up rock radio right now but I would guess that some mainstream radio station might think they are to Christian.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 am

They would have thought the same thing about early Skillet, though. Disciple could make the leap with the right team behind them pushing them.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Disciple have seen some commercial success and (at least for a while) it turned them somewhat cocky or shall we say not very humble. A local church had dealt with them several times and several years back said they would not deal with them again because of their rock star attitudes (rather ironic given their old song). Hopefully, they've become humble again. From what y'all have said their lyrics have gotten bolder again.

While I do not like it, I think why most bands are not bold are because most Christians are not bold. I also think those bands that might be bolder as individuals in real life think they can woo more fans in by being more ambiguous so as "not to offend" perhaps but to gently plant and water some seeds that may later reap a harvest. While we see that kind of mentality throughout mainstream Christianity, there are also significant downsides that must be avoided to have any chance of real root growth. I could write pages on this as I'm sure most of you can so I'll just leave it at that.

Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

silentthunder89 wrote:
...a band saying they're a christian band but not backing it in their lyrics.

I hate this. When I read a supposedly Christian band's lyrics and I can't tell what in the world they mean, I tend to believe they may not be walking the walk. Making music for God's glory, edification of the church and salvation for the lost is one of the greatest things we can do; yet they waste their talents and opportunities so that they can blend in with the world. "Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord". I realize that art sometimes expresses itself in mysterious ways, but come on...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23434
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

....While I do not like it, I think why most bands are not bold are because most Christians are not bold. I also think those bands that might be bolder as individuals in real life think they can woo more fans in by being more ambiguous so as "not to offend" perhaps but to gently plant and water some seeds that may later reap a harvest......

While I agree that some bands may be still working to spread God's word and are subtle becasue they are not trying to scare away people with the bold "offense of the gospel".....I think there are probably few of those bands really.
For some reason I think many of those "Christian bands" show a shallow faith, just because they are made up of Christians with a shallow (or superficial) faith. But I can't know any of thier hearts, so I try to put the best construction on it and just assume the band is striving not to offend.

Ambiguity in bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ambiguity in bands   Ambiguity in bands I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ambiguity in bands
Page 1 of 1