Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So I'm learning to play guitar...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

So I'm learning to play guitar... Empty
PostSubject: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:37 am

So I got my own guitar for Christmas (a Dean Vendetta to be exact. Nothing too special, just a starter guitar kit) and I'm trying to learn how to play. I already know most major chords and a few minor chords and I can play major scales from where my sister tried to teach me some stuff a while back. I think I frustrate her because she and I have such different tastes in music (I of course love hard rock and metal, while she prefers indie rock, acoustic, folk, etc.), plus the stuff she tries to teach me just seems above my head. What I want to know is where I should start learning. I wanna learn how to play lead guitar the most, but I realize you have to work up to it.

So do any of you experienced players have any suggestions on where I should start?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 am

Even if you do lead, those chords and strumming patterns she is showing you will come in handy.

For an inexpensive guitar teaching course, you should go to Pastor Brad (the guy on Roxx Records) and get his downloadable lessons. They are really inexpensive and can show you what you want in each section. You can buy as many or as few as you want. I've been meaning to get teh introduction to lead guitar and speed tricks myself.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 am

That's great silentthunder you are learning how to play guitar.
Maybe you have to think about taking guitar lessons?
Then you learn other things too.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Even if you do lead, those chords and strumming patterns she is showing you will come in handy.

For an inexpensive guitar teaching course, you should go to Pastor Brad (the guy on Roxx Records) and get his downloadable lessons. They are really inexpensive and can show you what you want in each section. You can buy as many or as few as you want. I've been meaning to get teh introduction to lead guitar and speed tricks myself.

I forgot about Pastor Brad's guitar videos. I also found another site called Truefire.com that sells guitar lessons by big name guitar players as well for about $20 per package. Each package has about 80 videos in it. It's also the same site that Jeff Sheetz offers his guitar lesson videos (more advanced stuff though). But the packages offered on this site focus on specific styles for all different learning levels, such as blues, rock, acoustic, bass, country, Jazz, and techniques. I was thinking about picking up either rock or blues for beginners. But I'll definitely have a look at Pastor Brad's videos as well.

Quote :
That's great silentthunder you are learning how to play guitar.
Maybe you have to think about taking guitar lessons?
Then you learn other things too.

I wish I had time to take weekly guitar lessons. But between school, all my extraciriculars with Campus Ministry, the fraternity, and a potential internship I just don't really have the time to go someplace for face to face guitar lessons.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Fantastic. Playing guitar can be a lot of fun.
If you want to play lead you definately need to know all of those scales forwards and backwards, but don't forget to practice your chords as well. I ran into a few guitarists who spent so much time learning scales they were really poor as rhythm guitarists. (actually BB King claims to be terrible at playing chords)

silentthunder89

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Fantastic. Playing guitar can be a lot of fun.
If you want to play lead you definately need to know all of those scales forwards and backwards, but don't forget to practice your chords as well. I ran into a few guitarists who spent so much time learning scales they were really poor as rhythm guitarists. (actually BB King claims to be terrible at playing chords)

Cool, thanks for the tip! I'm really interested in learning more about Chord structure. I know most of the major and minor chords, but there is SOOOO much more to chords than that. I think what I'm most eager to learn about is Chord progressions. Anybody can play chords, but it's knowing which chords sound good together and how to create a progression out of them that makes playing guitar so much fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm learning to play guitar...   So I'm learning to play guitar... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I'm learning to play guitar...
Page 1 of 1