Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time

Go down 
+3
Dynamis
Staybrite
Dreams
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dreams

Dreams

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time Empty
PostSubject: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

According to Total Sci-Fi Online, these are the top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time.

http://totalscifionline.com/features/3809-the-100-greatest-sci-fi-movies

The top 10 on the list:

1. Blade Runner (1982)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
3. Star Wars (1977)
4. Alien (1979)
5. Metropolis (1927)
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
7. The Terminator (1984)
8. Planet of the Apes (1968)
9. E.T. (1982)
10. Solaris (1972)

So what do you all think...do you agree with the list? What are your top ten Sci-Fi films.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm

I definately agree with Blade Runner, 2001 & Star Wars being near the top of that list.

I always thought those lists only gave a nod to Metropolis because it was seen as a "prototype" of sorts. I didn't think it was really that great a film (even for 1927). I don't know about you, but I had the hardest time making it through all of Solaris. I think I almost fell asleep a few times.

I might have included Logan's Run, Soilent Green, & maybe (just maybe) THX1138 near the top of that list.
Don't really agree with E.T., Solaris, or the Day the Earth Stood Still being anywhere near the top 20

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:50 pm

What about "Independence Day"?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Dynamis wrote:
What about "Independence Day"?

Maybe it was number 11.
Haven't checked out the whole list myself.

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Double checked and its number 85.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Dreams

Dreams

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Mars Attacks isn't on that list. In my world, that would make the list's credibility questionable.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Dreams wrote:
Mars Attacks isn't on that list. In my world, that would make the list's credibility questionable.

Agreed! "Mars Attacks" was a major tribute to Sci-fi B-films.

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Wall-E!?!? Starship Troopers!?!

They start off well, but they stumbled badly as they neared the end, IMO.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:01 am

To be honest, I'd never heard of Metropolis or Solaris or many others on that list. Wonder if it was critic based or fan based? Can't believe they left out Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm

My guess would be that it was totally "critic-based". I would guess that there aren't many casual sci-fi fans that have even heard of Solaris or Metropolis (both pretty much snoozers IMO). If it was fan-based the horrible "Starship Troopers" probably would have made the list.

Dreams

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

What's wrong with Starship Troopers? It's actually one of my favorite alien killing Sci-Fi flicks. At the 1997 Academy Awards it was nominated for it's visual effects. Also, the video game Halo stole a lot of animation ideas from the 1997 release. I think the two sequels to the 1997 release are complete wastes of film, and vain attempts at best to capitalize on the 121 million that the 1997 version made.

I haven't read the original book that spawned the movies and series yet...maybe later when I get some time.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 pm

Dreams wrote:
What's wrong with Starship Troopers? It's actually one of my favorite alien killing Sci-Fi flicks................

.....................I haven't read the original book that spawned the movies and series yet...maybe later when I get some time.

That might explain it.

In the novel the Troopers (or "Cap-Troopers) as they where called, where actually ejected from the space ship in the upper atmosphere towards the planet in individual capsules. The capsule was jetisoned several hundred feet above ground and the troopers jetted to the ground the rest of the way. They used these super armored suits that allowed them to jump a kilometer (or more) at a leap, raining down fire, lasers, and even small nukes on the planet below. The suits where so desctructive that the soldiers usually moved in columns with at least several hundred yards (or a few kilometers) between each man. This was a highlight in the novel, and it was all but ignored in the movie. Kind of made the film seem like a cheap B-version of the novel. I'm also not much of a fan of the less than stellar acting "ability" of Casper V. So I wasn't not thrilled with the movie.

I will admit that the aliens did look pretty kewl, and there was a seriously high alien body count.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 am

1. Blade Runner (1982)
Saw that ages ago but didn't like it. Must really see it again.
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Pretty cool movie and worthy of a place in the top 10
3. Star Wars (1977)
Definitely a top 5 film, although possibly Empire should be here instead...........
4. Alien (1979)
Scary but great, I prefered Aliens, but like Star Wars this was the defining movie
5. Metropolis (1927)
Saw a bit of this and whilst I can see the reasons why it's in the top 10 it is very slow moving and not very interesting.
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
It's good, but dated. Not a real top 10 in my opinion, but that's probably because there's been so much better stuff since then.
7. The Terminator (1984)
Top 10 possibly. Good movie!
8. Planet of the Apes (1968)
Brilliant movie and definitely deserves a place in the top ten, just for the jaw dropping ending!
9. E.T. (1982)
Good kiddie sci fi that I never really liked, but I can see the appeal. I'd probably put it in the 20's - 30's out of the top 100
10. Solaris (1972)
Never seen that!

Ones they missed.........
Silent Running - Great sci fi eco nonsense that was very capitivating from start to finish.
Empire Strikes Back - Better than A New Hope, although the ending is rather flat!
Aliens - Another classic which should be up there near the top
Walle - Loved that film, had a good message in it too!
The Matrix - That should have been in the top 3!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 am

I figured Starship Troopers made the top 100 for the scenes with scantily clad (human) females.

Those suits SB describes sound too over the top for me. How did the book retain interest when you've got so much power? Where's the drama?

I had no idea there were 2 sequels to it either.

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:42 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Those suits SB describes sound too over the top for me. How did the book retain interest when you've got so much power? Where's the drama?

The drama (or conflict) wasn't really in the fight scenes themselves, but more internal with the characters and globally with what would happen to our planet/solar system. Robert Heinlein had a tendency to make his heroes somewhat like "superheroes" in that they fought better than anyone else and usually excelled at everything. It made some of his character development a little predictable, but I was rather young when I read most of his stuff. I don't really recommend anyone read much of his stuff now, because he had a rather low view of Christianity (I suspect he was an atheist).

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

My opinion is, John Carpenter's "The Thing" should've been in the top ten. That movie was way ahead of it's time and had the suspensful story, incredible effects and is far overlooked as a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
Addy

Addy

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 8:21 am

Definitly agree about 2001 and Star Wars
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockcityonline.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time   Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 100 Sci-Fi films of all time
Page 1 of 1