Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicFan

AtomicFan

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2023-08-18

An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand" Empty
PostSubject: An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"   An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand" I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 4:29 pm

In the late 70's and early 80's (pre Stryper), bands like Servant, Petra, Resurrection Band and Jerusalem were my main form of Christian music (and saw all of them live).

One of my favorite albums from that era was Servant's "World of Sand".

It rocked (at times lol), had a great message, and was filled with a great sense of humor.

I went back and listened to it today and was shocked how well the message holds up.

Two Masters -- 

Looks at how we constantly try to serve God and Man. I love the way it shows how people try to justify worldliness, as well ripping the "prosperity Gospel" and the "you can never be sick" crowd.

New Revolution - 

Not one of my favorites, but definitely showcases the Jesus Movement of the time

Long Hard Fight - 

tells the truth that the walk is going to be hard and that you will face tough times and that the world will reject you. The price you have to pay.
"Don't be afraid to count the cost".."Don't be naive and don't be fooled, the world hated Him and the world is going to hate you too"

Jungle Music - 
A funny play on the explorers Stanley and Livingston..as they go into the deepest jungles of rock music. It showcases how Christians were against rock music being used as a tool to reach people. They work a lot of names of various CCM/Rock artists and bands into the conversations. Very funny. "sacrilege safari" lol

Wall of Love -

Another one that is good but not one of my favorites. Talks about we run away but right into His wall of love that He puts around us. Still very beautiful.

Cheap Talk - 
Takes a look at how people talk the talk but don't walk the walk

Sudden Death - 

Such an incredible song...it's a story about loss, grief, blaming / questioning God, and ultimately hope. It changes pace multiple times.
"I had love then you killed it. Did you want it? Did you will it?"

Come Jesus Come - 

Simply a beautiful song about someone finally opening themselves to Him after trying on their own for so long. "as I stand amidst my shattered dreams"...Absolutely beautiful.

Cog In The World - 

My favorite rocker on the album. Great song talking about breaking free from complacency and what the world would have you be.

Treeplanter Stomp - 

An instrumental dedicated to a group within the community that was doing reforestation

Anyway, at least that's my take on the songs and what they represent.

I think this is an incredible album, best listened to with headphones so you can fully understand all the words.

Here is their website (I don't think it is kept up to date)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2117
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"   An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand" I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2024 10:29 pm

One of my favorite records. Yes records, as in vinyl. Lol! I’m not sure I ever got it on CD. my favorite song is “come Jesus come.“
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23598
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"   An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2024 10:23 am

I was not a Christian back in the 70's or early 80's.  I thought all Christian rock had to offer the world was Petra and Leon Patillo (someone invited me to a concert with both acts back in the early 80's and I declined).  So I really didn't get into any of this music "back in the day"

PostSubject: Re: An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"   An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An appreciation for Servant's "World Of Sand"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The Melting Pot - All other forms of Christian music go here!-
Jump to: