Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 The Taxman Cometh...!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 837
Age : 54
Registration date : 2018-04-12

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2021 11:45 am

Taxes are done for 2021! 

This can be the place to properly vent regarding what's owed to Caesar.  Let er rip!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Oh gosh don't get me started.  Wont even have all my paperwork until April...and I'm going to have to pay someone else to do it this year because it will be too complicated.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 21840
Age : 51
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 pm

I usually have to pay in every year and expect to have to do the same this year.  While being a pastor has a lot of ways you can itemize, unless you are raking in big bucks in a megachurch you won't have enough to list to offset the standard deductions.

_________________
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 3568
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 pm

I didn't think you could file before Feb 12?

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 2764
Age : 50
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 6:28 am

I believe you can file any time, I have always done mine very early (I have never waited until Feb 12). Normally I have mine done early but this year I am getting a ton of forms and some things I have some questions about. Normally I do Turbo Tax myself but 2020 was a bit different. The new forms include college tuition and scholarships for my daughter. Those kind of worked out when I filled them in (I think). The big one is unemployment. You see back in March of 2020 school let out and my wife did not go back to work. She assumed she was unemployed so we filed. Come to find out she wasn't unemployed and the school system continued to pay her until the end of the semester. As soon as we found out I logged into the unemployment website to cancel the request (you have to do everything online and if you followed any news on Florida's unemployment system it is total CRAP). I was not able to cancel it at all! We had to let it run out. So for each unemployment check she received I just saved it. Then I finally found out how to pay it back so all the money was returned. 

But here is what I do not really understand - Did she get unemployment or not? We paid every dime back. We  have received nothing in the mail regarding unemployment for taxes so I may just act like we didn't get anything and if it becomes a question later I have proof of payment back to the state. 

I believe all of my forms have come in the mail but I will wait until the end of the week. The stuff from FSU didn't arrive until yesterday and I totally forgot about college tuition and expenses being a part of taxes.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
crucifyd

crucifyd

Number of posts : 161
Age : 53
Localisation : the basement
Registration date : 2016-02-12

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 am

<rant> my biggest peeve is property taxes...I'm currently gouged for $4400/year (and rising) and 60%+ go to schools which I don't and have basically never used. not to mention what they are teaching... </rant>

ChristTrekker likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.crucifyd.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4226
Age : 50
Localisation : Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2013-09-17

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 11:21 am

Staybrite wrote:
Oh gosh don't get me started.  Wont even have all my paperwork until April...and I'm going to have to pay someone else to do it this year because it will be too complicated.

First time?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 12:10 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I usually have to pay in every year and expect to have to do the same this year.  While being a pastor has a lot of ways you can itemize, unless you are raking in big bucks in a megachurch you won't have enough to list to offset the standard deductions.

You and me both, especially since all my kids moved out, yet still end up with their hands in my pocket.  I have a 23 year old I'm going to have to cut off, he cost me more than he did when he was a dependent but I don't even get to use him as a deduction.  Laughing

MikeInFla wrote:
I believe you can file any time, I have always done mine very early (I have never waited until Feb 12). Normally I have mine done early but this year I am getting a ton of forms and some things I have some questions about. Normally I do Turbo Tax myself but 2020 was a bit different. The new forms include college tuition and scholarships for my daughter. Those kind of worked out when I filled them in (I think). The big one is unemployment. You see back in March of 2020 school let out and my wife did not go back to work. She assumed she was unemployed so we filed. Come to find out she wasn't unemployed and the school system continued to pay her until the end of the semester. As soon as we found out I logged into the unemployment website to cancel the request (you have to do everything online and if you followed any news on Florida's unemployment system it is total CRAP). I was not able to cancel it at all! We had to let it run out. So for each unemployment check she received I just saved it. Then I finally found out how to pay it back so all the money was returned. 

But here is what I do not really understand - Did she get unemployment or not? We paid every dime back. We  have received nothing in the mail regarding unemployment for taxes so I may just act like we didn't get anything and if it becomes a question later I have proof of payment back to the state. 

I believe all of my forms have come in the mail but I will wait until the end of the week. The stuff from FSU didn't arrive until yesterday and I totally forgot about college tuition and expenses being a part of taxes.

Oh gosh, that sounds like a small nightmare.  Shocked

crucifyd wrote:
<rant> my biggest peeve is property taxes...I'm currently gouged for $4400/year (and rising) and 60%+ go to schools which I don't and have basically never used. not to mention what they are teaching... </rant>

Yikes, that is a big one,  I'm pretty certain my property taxes are almost $2K a year less than that.

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Oh gosh don't get me started.  Wont even have all my paperwork until April...and I'm going to have to pay someone else to do it this year because it will be too complicated.

First time?  Very Happy

Yeah, it will be the first time we've had someone else do them.  My wife started a small business and had income/profit from it and I don't even want to fight with that nonsense.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4226
Age : 50
Localisation : Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2013-09-17

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 5:03 pm

And when y'all move from one state to another, you definitely want someone else to handle that.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 3568
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 7:54 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
I believe you can file any time, I have always done mine very early (I have never waited until Feb 12).

I believe that is normally true.

IRS 1/15/21 press release wrote:
The Internal Revenue Service announced that the nation's tax season will start on Friday, February 12, 2021, when the tax agency will begin accepting and processing 2020 tax year returns.

If yours was "accepted" then I guess they are contradicting themselves. Suspect

There's a reason I live in a modest house in a LCOL area; my property taxes are <$700/yr. though they will go up some once they realize I built a new garage.

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 2764
Age : 50
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 6:28 am

Property taxes in Florida are quite low (at least in my area) so that is never an issue. Property itself is very expensive and overpriced. Where "the man" gets you is with housing insurance. Extremely high in this storm-prone area. 

Plus we have no state income tax and that's one less thing I have to fool with.

I went over the taxes again last night and noticed I accidently included tuition expenses for Jan 2021 so I had to refigure that amount. And I am still waiting on a 1099 from my bank. I suspect I trashed it because I never open anything from the credit union. 99% of their mail is junk mail and I always toss it without opening it. I got something from them last week and assume it was my 1099 (not like I have a large savings account anyway so interest would be very low so I might just say forget it). I tried to look at it on their website but it wasn't available so I will have to give them a call and ask about it.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3226
Age : 34
Registration date : 2013-07-17

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 pm

Ugh. I discovered I missed one paycheck when figuring out my income total and adding it must've bumped me up a bracket because now I owe over $1,000 more than I thought... Sigh...

The plus-side is that for whatever reason, I have been motivated to get our taxes done right away so I'm pretty much all set to file (on Turbo Tax). I just gotta wait for one more form which should come any day. It'll be nice to have it behind me.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
And when y'all move from one state to another, you definitely want someone else to handle that.

Oh yes, 2021 woohoo.  Laughing

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3226
Age : 34
Registration date : 2013-07-17

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 4:54 pm

^Eh, I did our own taxes when we moved from CA to ID a couple years ago. It's not TOO bad... Actually what was most frustrating for me was that Turbo Tax wouldn't update in real-time some stuff regarding the two different states which made it seem like it was doing it wrong... I was on the phone with their support team for a significant amount of time while they were trying to figure out what was going on and had to re-do a bunch of stuff - only to learn that if we had just continued on, it would've righted itself.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 pm

kerrick wrote:
^Eh, I did our own taxes when we moved from CA to ID a couple years ago.  It's not TOO bad...  Actually what was most frustrating for me was that Turbo Tax wouldn't update in real-time some stuff regarding the two different states which made it seem like it was doing it wrong...  I was on the phone with their support team for a significant amount of time while they were trying to figure out what was going on and had to re-do a bunch of stuff - only to learn that if we had just continued on, it would've righted itself.

Does Idaho have a state income tax?  (I know California does, so does Arizona...but Washington doesn't....so I will be going from a state without a state income tax to a state that does have an income tax, but I will be earning my income from a company based on Washington state.  Man that sounds like a mess.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit



Number of posts : 3568
Localisation : Indiana
Registration date : 2007-01-30

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm betting you'll have to pay taxes to AZ for the time you're a resident. Typically your resident state will credit you for what you paid to another state (but that is 0 in your case).

_________________
"If you are not concerned about your neighbor's salvation,
you should be concerned about your own."
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2021 9:48 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
I'm betting you'll have to pay taxes to AZ for the time you're a resident. Typically your resident state will credit you for what you paid to another state (but that is 0 in your case).

I've heard the same from someone else who lives in Oregon (which has an income tax) but works in Washington state (which doesn't).

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 837
Age : 54
Registration date : 2018-04-12

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Just received a 1099-K from Google. It's a record of transactions between my housemate (my bro) and myself. Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Normaniac wrote:
Just received a 1099-K from Google.  It's a record of transactions between my housemate (my bro) and myself.  Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Did you use Google-Pay to make payments to him?
I have to confess I haven't heard of that.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 837
Age : 54
Registration date : 2018-04-12

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 5:50 am

He used it to pay me his half of rent and electric.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Normaniac wrote:
He used it to pay me his half of rent and electric.

It really seems like you shouldn't have to claim that as income (especially not 1099 income).  You might have to look it up, or ask someone with much more experience in that department.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 837
Age : 54
Registration date : 2018-04-12

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 am

The plan is to drop by Walmart Monday after my doctor's appointment and pick the brain of a tax specialist there.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Normaniac wrote:
The plan is to drop by Walmart Monday after my doctor's appointment and pick the brain of a tax specialist there.

That sounds like a good idea.  I would be interested to hear what they say.  I remember using the Cash-App to pay my son back for a $50 purchase he made for me back in November.  I would hate to think he has to count that as "income".

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker



Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2017-02-13

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am

crucifyd wrote:
<rant> my biggest peeve is property taxes...I'm currently gouged for $4400/year (and rising) and 60%+ go to schools which I don't and have basically never used. not to mention what they are teaching... </rant>
Don't get me started. We homeschooled til this year, and never saw a dime of my taxes come back to help the kids that they are supposedly for. So not only am I funding a bunch of humanist indoctrination, but it impinges upon my ability to get my own kids a good education. Now this year they are getting significantly less from the schools than previously due to gov't restrictions, but is there a discount or refund for the taxes?

kerrick, crucifyd and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 21600
Age : 53
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm

ChristTrekker wrote:
crucifyd wrote:
<rant> my biggest peeve is property taxes...I'm currently gouged for $4400/year (and rising) and 60%+ go to schools which I don't and have basically never used. not to mention what they are teaching... </rant>
Don't get me started. We homeschooled til this year, and never saw a dime of my taxes come back to help the kids that they are supposedly for. So not only am I funding a bunch of humanist indoctrination, but it impinges upon my ability to get my own kids a good education. Now this year they are getting significantly less from the schools than previously due to gov't restrictions, but is there a discount or refund for the taxes?

Did that for several years ourselves as well (all our kids are grown now).  I remember shelling out close to a$1000 or more assembling (mostly) Christian based texts and work-books for our 3 children each year, while I watched our property taxes go to a school system forcing the education of sexual depravity and social justice nonsense on the children.  Our children weren't gifted by any means but they turned out more educated than most of the poor children in our cities public schools.  Would have been nice to get some of that money back if only to help pay for our own curriculum and keep it out of the hands of our overly liberal schools.

Just got our property tax statement this year and we shelled out $3000 for that nonsense.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




The Taxman Cometh...!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Taxman Cometh...!    The Taxman Cometh...!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
The Taxman Cometh...!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: