Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+16
bassdude
Normaniac
Livna
Dynamis
kerrick
Jen5
MikeInFla
messiaen77
Through The Dark Radio
Fundy
Xid
Driven
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Black Rider
Guilty/Forgiven
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16562
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Random Ramblings - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 9:01 am

I hope so.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 am

Not to fear monger as I don't believe that helps but the Corona Virus has a higher death rate percentage wise then other flu. Of course that's in other countries so far so we'll see how it goes. People are also able to spread it while it's incubating and don't know they have it. Just be careful.
Back to top Go down
crucifyd

crucifyd

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Influenza has killed 5 times more people (10,000) in just the USA alone this winter.

www.worldometers.info says its 27 times (first two stats)...

https://www.worldometers.info
Back to top Go down
http://www.crucifyd.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 pm

My computer lives for now. It died right at the end of midterm season, once everything essential was past. Thankfully, my brother found a hack to disable the standalone GPU (graphics processing unit), which was the faulty component, so my laptop is currently running graphics on the CPU's built-in GPU. I've ordered a replacement computer, but this should hold until then. Oh well, it had a good 9-year run.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 9:29 am

Geez, 9 years??? That's like 100 years in computer time  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 3:23 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Geez, 9 years??? That's like 100 years in computer time  Very Happy

That does seem to be pretty old, but I've had desktops last 8-11 years before (my current one is only 4 years old).
Laptops on the other hand don't seem to last nearly as long as desktop units,  my wife is lucky to get 6 years out of a laptop.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Not to fear monger as I don't believe that helps but the Corona Virus has a higher death rate percentage wise then other flu. Of course that's in other countries so far so we'll see how it goes. People are also able to spread it while it's incubating and don't know they have it. Just be careful.

I'm hoping that here in the U.S. and Europe it won't have such a high mortality rate.  It looks like we are up to 10 deaths here in Western Washington, but no details about the last victim's age or health condition prior to getting sick.  At least 8 of the deaths so far occurred in people in their 70's or older, who had other medical issues.  They say there are currently 39 confirmed cases in our state...I'm guessing it could be as much as 100 times that many.  I think most younger and healthier people are getting it and just think they have the flu.  They recover and go back to work, where it has already spread to most of their coworkers.  They think we have had it here for probably the last 6 weeks.

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 am

Had my first regular day at my new job today (actual first day was Monday, but that was just new hire orientation). It's definitely nothing like I'm used to (going from 12 years in various positions in the parking industry to working in a warehouse), and it's a lot of work, but I think I'll enjoy it. I learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn. Also discovered that pallet jacks are more difficult to control than you'd think...
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 am

Are they electric pallet jacks? Those do take some getting used to but are nice once you figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 11:37 am

Yeah, I used some manual pallet jacks a couple summers ago and the rear wheel steering makes it less intuitive.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 4:12 pm

We used to race those pallet jacks down a loading ramp when I worked for Walmart.  Great fun!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I hope you enjoy the new job Oldiesdude.

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 am

Black Rider wrote:
Are they electric pallet jacks? Those do take some getting used to but are nice once you figure it out.

Not electric ones, but fancy scissor-lift ones from ULine (see https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-5441/Pallet-Trucks/Scissor-Lift-Truck-Heavy-Duty-Fork-46-x-27 for more). I think the forklift folks do most of the heavy moving.
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Had to spend the last two days working from home while I'm trying to recover from a wicked case of bronchitis (I've never had this before).  Of course with the slew of corona virus victims in our state everyone is worried about my immune system being compromised.  I don't have the corona virus (at least not yet).  But I'm on steroids and antibiotics to get rid of this nasty bronchitis.  Interesting thing is people get out of your way when you start coughing in public now.  Laughing

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm

So, my school system was closed most of last week due to the tornadoes.  This week we are in "spring" break, and I just received the official notice that we are closed next week for the Corona virus scare.  We are letting the media drive us into a frenzy over this.  It's crazy!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 pm

I think there is overreaction and underreaction to the virus. No, it's not the end of the world and we don't need to empty Costco of its toilet paper, but it's still severe enough that we might as well be cautious for the next bit.

Also, cracking open a beer and trying to do taxes might not have been the best idea. It's taking a little more concentration than usual. (I'm not drunk, don't worry!)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
So, my school system was closed most of last week due to the tornadoes.  This week we are in "spring" break, and I just received the official notice that we are closed next week for the Corona virus scare.  We are letting the media drive us into a frenzy over this.  It's crazy!

Our governor just shut down all the schools K-12 (public and private) until April 24th for the three largest counties in the state.
Tell me that isn't going to cause some hardship.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

Driven wrote:
I think there is overreaction and underreaction to the virus. No, it's not the end of the world and we don't need to empty Costco of its toilet paper, but it's still severe enough that we might as well be cautious for the next bit.

Also, cracking open a beer and trying to do taxes might not have been the best idea. It's taking a little more concentration than usual. (I'm not drunk, don't worry!)

I usually wait to have my glass of wine/cider/beer until after I finish my taxes....to make sure I can afford it.  lol!

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Going to shut down the whole country with this fear mongering. What did people do back in the day when there was TB, Cholera, Polio etc.? Sure we need to be careful but this is out of hand.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:00 am

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Our governor just shut down all the schools K-12 (public and private) until April 24th for the three largest counties in the state.
Tell me that isn't going to cause some hardship.

It will have immediate effects.  Poorer families will have to stay home from work to care for younger children that will result in lost wages or even lost jobs if they are out too long.  

Teachers are typically salaried, so they won't care about staying home.  However, your support staff like educational assistants (like me), cafeteria workers, bus drivers, receptionists, etc. don't get paid when there are no students.  We do get paid for sick/inclement weather days when the school system closes, but there are only 10 days for us built in to our school year.  On Wednesday of next week, we will use our last one.  After that, those support staff people will start losing wages.  Some may have to find other jobs if there is anyone open for business.  

Because of the fear mongering, we have been catapulted to a second world nation as we have a national situation on our hands but no longer have the means to produce everything we need.  Through fear, your freedoms have been limited.  Want to go to a sporting event?  They are gone.  Want to hit a concert?  Shut down, too.  You feel like you want your kid to receive an education?  That's gone as well.  Travel to California and Washington state is being limited meaning that your rights to move around the country has been limited.  If this goes long enough, they will do a forced removal of firearms as well.  The mainstream media should be treated as terrorists as they have attacked the USA and are winning.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am

Florida has shut down universities and going to online classes. I called FSU yesterday and asked about my daughter coming in next week to get a student ID and was told that she could and that there would be staff there but probably no students. They will still have classes on campus in a limited capacity but are trying to get everything moved over to online classes. This week is Spring Break for FSU and I think they are now being given an extra week or two and then online classes. It's the same with the other colleges in Florida. Nothing has been said about the local school system. My wife's new job is support staff and like you, no students, no pay as she is no longer salary.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 am

Oh yeah, also, we had a drive trip scheduled for St. Augustine this weekend. We decided to cancel and just stay home. As I have said before our youngest daughter is diabetic and has a weakened immune system. So better safe than sorry.

Anyway, booked it thru Expedia who happened to crash yesterday. You couldn't cancel anything online. So I called them and the phone lines were down. I saw an option on the site that still worked where someone would call me back. They eventually called within 20 minutes and stated their system was down and they couldn't cancel anything even by phone. So I called the hotel and was on hold for over 30 minutes. When I finally got thru they told me they couldn't cancel it because I booked it thru Expedia! So I finally called Expedia again and got thru. But I kept getting "your call will be answered in the order it was received". I was on hold for FOUR HOURS until I finally decided to hang up. Logged back on the site which was semi-working now. I also paid and extra $12 for "booking protection" which I assumed allowed me to cancel and get a refund. So I cancelled and NO refund! Out $300. I called the number for "booking protection" and was on hold another 2 hours before giving up.

So currently I am out $300. But we will stay home and she won't be exposed to anything by going out of town. Doesn't mean she's safe but she's safer by us not traveling. Out $300 but hopefully saved a trip to the ER. The CDC says that Coronavirus can be worse for diabetics. So not gonna take a chance. Also going to cancel my vacation day for Monday at work.

Oh, and while on hold it was odd to flip thru all the ESPN and sports channels to see commentators sitting in empty areas and ball stadiums. 

Expedia finally called me back this morning and said they would contact the hotel this afternoon about a refund and try and get my money back. The person who can give the refund does not work until 3PM today so maybe I'll luck out. 

It might be an overreaction on our part but with her diabetes and weak immune system it just isn't worth the risk. 
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 am

Random Ramblings - Page 23 89716231_10158287810163469_6945961925888966656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LpGvHzhsZMcAX--VWeb&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Just got an email from our church and they are holding services Sunday morning but no handshaking, no offering, no communion. All activities other than the morning service are cancelled TFN.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 pm

The government is going: That was easy, should've done this sooner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 23 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next