Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+16
bassdude
Normaniac
Livna
Dynamis
kerrick
Jen5
MikeInFla
messiaen77
Through The Dark Radio
Fundy
Xid
Driven
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Black Rider
Guilty/Forgiven
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Random Ramblings - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 am

Just another tricky day for you.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Who said that.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 am

Good grief it's hot here. Summer is getting ridiculous. Humid and hot. I can't even stand to wear headphones so songwriting has come to a total standstill as I slowly melt. My poor guinea pig has run out of grass because my lawn has died off.
I am M-E-L-t-i-i-i-i-i-i-n-g  
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 9:07 am

Um, did your sister get crushed by a house?
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am

The only good taxes are filed taxes.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm

I recorded a simple riff on my bass before and after changing the strings. There's a difference in the brilliance. Listen with headphones and you'll hear the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/kompilesoft/changing-bass-strings
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Who said that.

Exactly  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Driven wrote:
I recorded a simple riff on my bass before and after changing the strings. There's a difference in the brilliance. Listen with headphones and you'll hear the difference.

Thumping!  I know it's more expensive to buy new bass strings than standard guitar strings.....still they do last longer.  I wonder if it ends of being about the same in the end.

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Driven wrote:

Thumping!  I know it's more expensive to buy new bass strings than standard guitar strings.....still they do last longer.  I wonder if it ends of being about the same in the end.
New bass strings are definitely brighter and have more punch.

When I was practicing and gigging like mad I would change my bass strings once a month.  I didn't want to break one during a gig.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Driven wrote:

New bass strings are definitely brighter and have more punch.

When I was practicing and gigging like mad I would change my bass strings once a month.  I didn't want to break one during a gig.

Break one!  Holy cow I didn't even know that was a thing, I played bass on occasion in a few bands (even owned a cheap one for a little bit)...but never broke a string.  Now guitar strings I used to break quite often.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 7:50 pm

I used to break them on a fairly regular bassis (see what I did there?)  Mainly the A, sometimes the E.  But I was playing a lot and probably picking a lot harder than I needed to.  Now when I tried the Dean Markley SR-2000 strings, which tapered off on the ends, I ate those things alive.  They were too wimpy on the ends.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 pm

I hadn't changed the old strings in nearly two years. They were a little too dull by the end.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 4:17 am

I'm always looking to extend the life of anything musical. With my bass, I always wipe down the strings after every use to help extend the life of the strings. Also, I've found that giving them a good 'ol boil does the trick (about 15 minutes). Brightens them right up. Just don't make the mistake of using a pot that you're going to cook in. Yuck. And always dry them quickly or they'll rust.   : )
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I've heard of boiling your bass strings.  Never knew anyone personally who had tried it though.  I remember Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue mentioning it in an article way back in the 80's

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 1:58 pm

I've never boiled 'em but I know that it cleans out the gunk between the winds and brightens them up.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Bass strings last me nearly a year before I feel the need to change them, and I play a 3-4 times a week in front of groups of 500 or more people.
I wipe down my bass before I put it in the case, I NEVER leave it out on a stand overnight, and I happen to not have very acidic sweat, which will corrode strings quite quickly.
I have a friend who plays sometimes, but I never let him play my nice bass, because his sweat is so acidic he'll completely kill a set of strings in one evening.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I just don't have the money to replace strings. It works a treat. Recording before and after you can actually see the sound wave changes. Then if you compare that to a recording on new strings, it's closer to new than the old by far. It definitely cleans them up.  Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 6:13 am

Man, all this college stuff is a pain in the butt! having to fill out FAFSA (Financial Aid, which we probably will not get), filling out scholarship apps, uploading insurance cards (I never knew you have to have health insurance to attend college. If you don't have it they make you buy it). I've been back and forth daily with FSU trying to get everything taken care of. They've been very helpful and maybe I am an overeager parent but I just want to get all of this taken care of. Will probably have to get a Stafford loan as well. You can pre-pay for college in Florida but I didn't start it until my daughter's sophomore year so that will run dry pretty quick (luckily I started my younger daughter's when she was in first grade).
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am

It is super annoying, the government never makes things simple.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Jen5 wrote:
I just don't have the money to replace strings. It works a treat. Recording before and after you can actually see the sound wave changes. Then if you compare that to a recording on new strings, it's closer to new than the old by far. It definitely cleans them up.  Smile

Trying owning and playing a 6 string bass, Jen!  A set of strings for my Tobias will easily cost me $50! When I was playing in a band and at church all the time, I would change my strings every 6 months.  Now I am lucky to change them annually.

As far as breaking a bass string, I have only broken one and that was while changing a set and overwound the string.  During playing, I have never broken a bass string.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm

I broke a low E on a bass once, probably because it'd been on there for too many years. It belonged to the high school, so who knows when they were last changed.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Driven wrote:
I broke a low E on a bass once, probably because it'd been on there for too many years. It belonged to the high school, so who knows when they were last changed.

Mine was the C string on my Tobias.  I didn't have any backups, so I just played for a week or two at the church where I attended at the time as a 5 string.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I broke the A string during preservice rehearsal and didn't have a backup so I played as a 3-String.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Why does everyone here play bass?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Why does everyone here play bass?
Because it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 20 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next