Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CD Prices

Go down 
+7
alldatndensum
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
topshot rhit
Fundy
kerrick
Xid
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 5:11 pm

I know a lot here don't purchase CD's any longer and that's Ok.  I'd like your input anyway, so pretend that you still purchase CD's for a moment.

If an indie band were selling their full length CD (10+ songs) for $5.99 + shipping, you be inclined to purchase one or think that because it's so cheap it must not be worth the risk?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

It depends on the band and how much of a presence in the scene they have, etc.  If it's a relatively new and/or unknown band, I think that's a nice price for folks to get acquainted with them.  If it's a band I already know/like, then all the better because I'd probably buy the CD if it were $6 or $12!

That being said, with Bandcamp, youtube, and the like, there's really no "risk" that someone will buy it and not like it since they can preview some or all of it prior to purchasing.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2007-05-04

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

To be honest I'd pay anything up to $15 for a good cd, whether they're indie or not.  What I don't like are the postage fees.
Most places I listen to the tracks before I buy (like CDbaby) so the money isn't really an issue.  Cheapness wouldn't put me off, and I'd actually not be too worried to pay $5.99 or $8.99.

My main problem is I have so little spending money that I have to be really careful what CD's I buy.  But when I choose a band (i.e. Bride) then it doesn't matter if their CD is $8 or $13, I'll still buy it, I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

(p.s. I'm not pleading poverty there, by-the-way,  we just make sure we're careful with our money)

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 pm

I'd rather have a screened disc vs printed label so it looks professional. Also a decent liner with lyrics.

Must have samples before buying though since I'm so picky normally.

Xid

Xid

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 pm

I guess that's my real question:  If somebody were to offer a CD for $5.00, would you assume the packaging is 2nd rate and/or it's a home done job rather than a professional looking package?
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 am

Xid wrote:
I guess that's my real question:  If somebody were to offer a CD for $5.00, would you assume the packaging is 2nd rate and/or it's a home done job rather than a professional looking package?

No. I'd pick it up, lots of great stuff for $5 at Walmart. I've picked up a TON of CD's from there, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Metallica, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, etc all for 5 bucks. My only complaint is I think I have bought all the $5 CD's I want from there they don't have any different titles than what I have already bought. $5 is an awesome price. I've even bought some stinkers for $5.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 am

Shouldn't all music be free?  Very Happy

Actually, I would probably listen to the artist with the $5.99+shipping CD and see if it's worth it.  Personally, knowing what I know, I'd say that your CD should sell for $7.99+ but I'm just an engineer, what do I know  geek
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

To be honest, I sold more of my recent album at $9.99.  When I dropped it down, so did sales.

I think CD prices are getting crazy again.  Sure, there is less demand so prices will go up.  In my opinion, a CD shouldn't cost much over the costs of the downloads.  Sure, I understand you are getting a professionally printed product.  However, if the downloads are $9.99 and the CD is $17.99, which one is most people going to choose?  They are going with the cheaper if they even bother to buy it at all.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

One thing that is a little odd is sometimes downloads cost MORE than the CD. I've looked at stuff on Amazon before and sometimes the CD is the same price, sometimes it is more and sometimes it is less. And on occasion VINYL is sometimes cheaper than the CD or downloads! (Queen - News Of The World remaster on vinyl for $8.98 on Amazon, was cheaper than the CD!). I posted a message about it last year on the Heart Of Metal forum and a ton of people bought it at that price.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks for the input everyone!  I'm able to drop the Joshua's Creed CD to $9.99 because of using a different manufacturer.  Due to online shopping, CD's can be quite expensive when you include shipping.  And some prices are just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

I listen to new bands before I buy their music, so if I listened to a band that I liked and saw that their CD was $5.99, I'd jump at it--cheap music WOOHOO!!!!!!  That being said, I'd be happier to pay $10.99 for a CD with free shipping than $5.99+$5 in shipping.  Yeah, it's weird, I know.  But psychologically, I feel like the more expensive CD is all going to support the music rather than almost half of it going to the post office.  If I were selling, I would figure out an average domestic shipping cost and build that into my asking price.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm

If I like the music I will pay up to $16.99 for a new cd (I have paid more for imports, but rarely).  But I have taken a chance on music that I haven't heard much of just because it was cheaper ($6-$10).
I think $9.99 is a great price for a new cd (especially if you can get it shipped for $4 or less).
I get a little put off when a new cd costs $10, but it is like $6 for shipping.  I don't know why, but it doesn't seem like it should cost that much to ship a single cd.

Xid

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I don't know why some companies think they have the right to mark up shipping.  Personally, I've never agreed with it.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Xid wrote:
Yes, I would assume that from an indie band. If I know it's just a CDR or doesn't have at least a single page liner with artwork, I likely will just download it and won't buy the CD. But nowadays I usually only buy CDs of albums I know I'll really like. If it won't be a constant player then I'll get the MP3s. I don't need more CDs as they just take up space, but I like having CDs of the albums I love.

rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16575
Registration date : 2007-02-09

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 7:54 am

I think it's a good price for a CD.
Most CDs are expensive.
Not talking over the shipping cost.
They are cray expensive.
Yep, that's what you get when you are outside the USA.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23462
Registration date : 2007-02-08

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Xid wrote:
I don't know why some companies think they have the right to mark up shipping.  Personally, I've never agreed with it.

It's like those e-bay sales where you could get the cd for 50 cents, but the shipping was $9.  Those really used to tick me off.

Xid

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Who do they think they are fooling?
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Let it be said I still prefer to get my music on CDs. I like having the physical item, so I can rip to any format and quality I want for my player. (My "sweet spot" is 192 kbps AAC, if anyone cares.) I like having the liner notes and pictures, too.

I think $10 is a good price for a professional CD from an indie or lesser-known band. That gives you room for special sales, or re-releases of older stuff, and still have some profit. If you're on a big label, I understand the nature of the business is going to drive up the price a bit.

If it's just the CD in a cardboard sleeve, I'd expect something a bit cheaper. Likewise for downloads.

Of course, this all assumes I know the music to be pretty good. If I'm taking a chance on something I don't know, I don't want to pay more than $5. I've paid the full $12-16 in the past and gotten burned on the "one good song and lots of filler" deals.

I, too, am very annoyed at overpriced shipping. I purposefully try to "batch" my purchases in order to save shipping costs. Often four discs doesn't cost any more than one.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

CD Prices Empty
PostSubject: Re: CD Prices   CD Prices I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CD Prices Empty