Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Boiled frogs

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
kerrick
Xid
Through The Dark Radio
Jen5
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 am

I'd like to take a poll please. I know it'll sound like a weird question, but there's a reason I'm asking this question. It's just a simple Y/N question.

Are you familiar with the fable about frogs in boiling water?  Y/N

The reason I'm asking this ridiculous question is that I'd like to include boiled frogs in a lyric I'm writing, but I don't want to use it unless most people actually know about it.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 am

I actually had to look up what you meant by the boiled frog but I have heard the fable.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5525
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Xid

Xid

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 10:04 am

Side note:  If you know of something like this and wish to reference it in your lyrics, do so.  People who don't get it will either look it up and learn something or remain blissfully ignorant.

There's no need to dumb down your writing.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 10:12 am

Yup, but I also second Xid's comment too - assuming the intent of the song isn't to make some clear and specific proclamation.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 pm

I've heard the fable.
I don't think it is common use nowadays though.

Jen5

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks guys.

In the context of the song, I'm intending it to lead the listener to think about how habitually poor choices can creep into your life without your even being aware of it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Thanks guys.

In the context of the song, I'm intending it to lead the listener to think about how habitually poor choices can creep into your life without your even being aware of it.

Perfect context.  Thumbs Up

Xid

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Excellent!
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1455
Registration date : 2018-04-12

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 am

I wouldn't say it's as much a fable as it is a syllogism.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 4:22 am

Medieval Torture Device wrote:
I wouldn't say it's as much a fable as it is a syllogism.
Curious. How so?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm familiar with it, but throwing boiled frogs into lyrics would confuse me and probably crack me up Razz
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Driven wrote:
I'm familiar with it, but throwing boiled frogs into lyrics would confuse me and probably crack me up Razz

Does it? Be honest please (I have a VERY thick skin).

V2
My eyes blinded to the truth
Pride, narrowed my world view
A deadly sin
That obscured the danger,
Devoured my soul, and made God the stranger

The forked tongue of the serpent's promise
The frog that boiled. It crept upon us
Are we entrapped by our false glory?
Gripped by Satan's sin (old story)

CH
Where is my Savior?
Destroying the plague of my vanity
Where is my Savior? (echo: He is my Savior?)
Who shatters my pride so I am not deceived
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 10:29 pm

It's hard to be objective, because I know it's there.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure that without further development it makes much sense. You could add a line along the lines of things taking time and us not noticing.. Promise and notice kind of rhyme, actually, so perhaps "the frog that boiled and never noticed". Up to you, obviously, but I think that as much as the "it crept upon us" does connect, it's maybe less clear than it could be. Since you asked. Wink

Hard-hitting lyrics, by the way. Challenging, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for that, Driven. I'll keep working on it.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 pm

::Peek my head in here and say::
yes, heard the analogy. First heard it back in 1990 watching a documentary on the desensitization happening in America that will take conservative thinking to a point where the masses and even the churches will be accepting of activities and lifestyles forbidden by Scripture.
The frogs in the boiling water analogy was given, the first time I ever heard it, and it was profound to me. I'm not so sure how accurate it is to reality as I have never attempted the experiments myself, but it sounds pretty interesting.

As for lyrics, go for it ! There have been lyrics I've heard in the past that spoke of things I didn't understand, and I sought out explanations and learned new things... so if there are people who don't "get" that analogy in your lyric, it'll be their opportunity to learn something new  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 am

I think it's good.  Make people think.

What about adjusting the line from "The forked tongue of the serpent's promise"

to:  "The serpent's tongue a forked promise"

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks G/F. I love that that specific analogy had an impact on you. It's also really cool to learn that the story of the frog has been used in relation to the normalization of sin because that's definitely the cautionary tale that I'm telling in this song. Thanks for that.

Ooo, Xid, that's good. It's an added, deeper meaning. A "forked promise." I really like that. Unfortunately, it messes with my syllable count/line rhythm (I'm writing to existing music and the rest of the song is written so I'm kinda stuck there). BUT, now you've got me thinking that way. I'm going to play with THAT now. Thank you   Smile
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 7:50 am

Driven wrote:
It's hard to be objective, because I know it's there.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure that without further development it makes much sense. You could add a line along the lines of things taking time and us not noticing.. Promise and notice kind of rhyme, actually, so perhaps "the frog that boiled and never noticed". Up to you, obviously, but I think that as much as the "it crept upon us" does connect, it's maybe less clear than it could be. Since you asked. Wink

Hard-hitting lyrics, by the way. Challenging, to say the least.

I have to agree with Driven on this.  Staying with the rhyme and meter will be important, but you do need to convey this in a way that people will notice or the strength of your message will be lost.

Of course, a true Southerner will get the "boiling frogs" analogy.  I've heard that from older folks all of my life.  Of course, I have never known anyone to boil frogs.  My grandma used to fry up a mess of fresh frog legs.  She would buy some ammo for my brother and myself and we'd kill a bunch of frogs at our neighbor's pond and take them to her.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm

You're welcome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boiled frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boiled frogs   Boiled frogs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boiled frogs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: