Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!

Go down 
+4
Fundy
Xid
Staybrite
JLE3
8 posters
AuthorMessage
JLE3

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! Empty
PostSubject: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 12:31 pm

EVANS AND STOKES – VALLEY OF THE KINGS

Is finally set to be released on April 30, 2018! It has been six months in the making and is another concept album. For those of you new to Evans and Stokes, we are John Evans and Jenny Stokes. We live on opposite sides of the planet (Evans in the USA – Pennsylvania and Stokes in New Zealand – Hamilton). We communicate with each other only through email and after nearly 2 years of creating music together we have still only spoken to one another via phone once! This makes for a very unique and challenging but rewarding collaboration.

For Valley of the Kings we have explored Ancient Egypt with specific focus on the great female Pharaoh Hatshepsut, covering her rise to power, prosperous reign, death into the afterlife, and how she was virtually erased from all historic writings and monuments by her successor.

As a concept album it is meant to be listened to in one sitting from start to finish and with a total running time under 40 minutes we were still able to cover a lot of ground both musically and lyrically to tell this story.

Visit http://www.evansandstokes.com for release details and links to download or stream from your preferred digital distribution service (i.e. Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Tidal, Deezer, etc.). On our website you will also find videos, all song lyrics, merchandise, and our prior music releases.

You can also…

Follow us on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes

Follow us on Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/EvansandStokes

Subscribe to us on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQCYB0H83cE0nC7qpe_lbXA

Thank you so much for listening. We hope you enjoy!

Sincerely,
Evans and Stokes

New video - Watch to the end to hear samples of 6 songs.

Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Cool!

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5323
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Congratulations!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Can't wait!  Hatshepsut is such an interesting figure in history.  Did you perchance watch the Expedition Unknown series on Hatshepsut, Nefertiti, and Cleopatra?  Interesting stuff.  Looking forward to this album.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 pm

She is. I love stories about strong women. I haven't watched that series, but I'll look it up for sure. I found the whole exploration of Ancient Egypt to be fascinating. I've never written songs about something I knew so little about. I'm usually a stick to what you know kind of artist (Faith, relationships, feelings, life's challenges) so before I could write a word, I needed to do a lot of reading about the culture. I even read a translation of the "Book of the Dead." That was strangeness. It's a collection of spells/prayers/incantations that the priests would speak as the dead were prepared for burial. It was all stuff like "...bread for your body, water for your throat, and sweet air for your nostrils" and "...with pestilence removed you may drink the water. You shall walk upon your feet, not with your head held downwards" (meaning you would live -- a head held downwards meant absolute death. Oblivion) and "...you shall go forth into the day, you shall have power in your legs in the evening, you shall have power in your legs at the lamp lighting, you shall have power in your legs at all seasons, at any hour in which you desire to go forth....in every place from which your heart desires" and "You are pure. You are clean" on and on they went 24/7 until after a month, the body was prepared. It was a very rich culture. Totally superstitious and totally fascinating. Loved this project.
Back to top Go down
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Jen5 wrote:
She is. I love stories about strong women. I haven't watched that series, but I'll look it up for sure. I found the whole exploration of Ancient Egypt to be fascinating. I've never written songs about something I knew so little about. I'm usually a stick to what you know kind of artist (Faith, relationships, feelings, life's challenges) so before I could write a word, I needed to do a lot of reading about the culture. I even read a translation of the "Book of the Dead." That was strangeness. It's a collection of spells/prayers/incantations that the priests would speak as the dead were prepared for burial. It was all stuff like "...bread for your body, water for your throat, and sweet air for your nostrils" and "...with pestilence removed you may drink the water. You shall walk upon your feet, not with your head held downwards" (meaning you would live -- a head held downwards meant absolute death. Oblivion) and "...you shall go forth into the day, you shall have power in your legs in the evening, you shall have power in your legs at the lamp lighting, you shall have power in your legs at all seasons, at any hour in which you desire to go forth....in every place from which your heart desires" and "You are pure. You are clean" on and on they went 24/7 until after a month, the body was prepared. It was a very rich culture. Totally superstitious and totally fascinating. Loved this project.

Yes but what I LOVE AND APPRECIATE is how you take all of that information and translate it into lyrics like these. I could never write like you. I'll just stick to ripping out crushing riffs  Very Happy

Ho Pharaoh!
Seeking to be reborn
Spells to adorn you 
Oil to anoint your form

Ho pharaoh!
Linen to keep you whole
Magic surrounds you
Anubis protects your soul

You've 30 days to live or die
With care the mouth will open wide

With a painted mask to hide the shell
A body whole to house the soul
You're purified to greet Osiris
Across the Nile in the Afterlife​

Where you live or die
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Ha! You're a sweetie John. What worried me about those lyrics was that some of the stuff was too cryptic. But I suppose it just leaves layers to be uncovered (or not).

BTW, the words "Ho Pharaoh!" are quoted from Spell 26:

"...Ho N! Sail on the lakes of the Netherworld. Row on the waters of this great god in Abydos." Yup, very weird stuff. History intrigues me. Does anyone know of any concept albums that look at Medieval times? That'd be a weird one to write!
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 am

Jen5 wrote:
Ha! You're a sweetie John. What worried me about those lyrics was that some of the stuff was too cryptic. But I suppose it just leaves layers to be uncovered (or not).

"...Ho N! Sail on the lakes of the Netherworld. Row on the waters of this great god in Abydos." Yup, very weird stuff. History intrigues me. Does anyone know of any concept albums that look at Medieval times? That'd be a weird one to write!
Jag Panzer did an album called Thane To The Throne that was basically Macbeth set to power metal...pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 am

Jen5 wrote:
Does anyone know of any concept albums that look at Medieval times?
Yes, the upcoming third album by Evans and Stokes.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am

Back to top Go down
JLE3

JLE3

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am

bassdude wrote:
Jen5 wrote:

Jag Panzer did an album called Thane To The Throne that was basically Macbeth set to power metal...pretty awesome.

I never heard that Jag Panzer album before. Pretty cool!

Once VOTK is out there, and after Jen and I take a breather then I was thinking about what would be next. It might be neat to do a poll or something on here when the time is right. I was thinking...

Myans (a lot of people from Brazil hit us up on Facebook)
Vikings 
Romans (Maximus Decimus Meridius)
Greeks (THIS IS SPARTA!!)
The Exodus (Might be a nice transition from VOTK)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm

JLE3 wrote:

I never heard that Jag Panzer album before. Pretty cool!

Once VOTK is out there, and after Jen and I take a breather then I was thinking about what would be next. It might be neat to do a poll or something on here when the time is right. I was thinking...

Myans (a lot of people from Brazil hit us up on Facebook)
Vikings 
Romans (Maximus Decimus Meridius)
Greeks (THIS IS SPARTA!!)

Now that might be really cool!

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm

bassdudeDoes anyone know of any concept albums that look at Medieval times? That'd be a weird one to write! wrote:

Oooooo...Shakespeare to metal. I'm seriously intrigued. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Those are some really cool ideas John. The Exodus is one that's close to my heart. I had an experience with that story in my early 20s that cemented my faith completely. I was going through a time of questions and doubt, but that story brought a prayer from me (a plea really) that received an immediate and very clear reply. I don't know if I could write about it faithfully. It would be an emotionally draining one that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm

JLE3 wrote:
Indeed. Since I'm only interested in music relating to the one true God, that would be my choice as well as the reason I'll pass on VOTK.

If you've not heard it already, Amaseffer has done a concept album on Exodus - some great progressive metal. Sadly, I don't think they're ever going to get the second of the trilogy released.

Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
JLE3 wrote:
Indeed. Since I'm only interested in music relating to the one true God, that would be my choice as well as the reason I'll pass on VOTK.

If you've not heard it already, Amaseffer has done a concept album on Exodus - some great progressive metal. Sadly, I don't think they're ever going to get the second of the trilogy released.

Oooo, I've never heard this band before. I'm listening now. The backgroud sounds are very strange. Totally intrigued. Thanks for that topshot.

Of course, I can respect and understand your wish to listen only to Christian music (not just music made by Christians). I actually struggled to write some of these songs (particularly the afterlife songs) for similar reasons. But, when I started looking at the songs as a history, not an exultation, I put these struggles to rest. A lot of what I do as a songwriter is to work on the fringes of faith, not because that's where I sit -- hardly! -- but because that's where I feel called to. So, a lot of my blues stuff is about sin and my/our struggles with that. Beyond the Gates was an invitation to people who had done their worst in life to come to God's table. I can't speak for John, but for me, the value of VOTK lies in creating a dialogue (as well as telling a great story). Through this album, already we have interacted with people of Egyptian heritage who, in some cases were hostile to the idea, but through dialogue have warmed to the idea and offered their good wishes. I think this is where the strength of this album lies. It's about breaking down barriers...

...and about women's rights, history, and story telling.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Oooo, I've never heard this band before. I'm listening now. The backgroud sounds are very strange. Totally intrigued.
Yes, they do a lot of layering and sound effects to pull you into the story. I'm sure you'll end up liking it. It's one of the albums I can listen to over and over.

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 pm

When can we order the CD!!!!

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 8:46 pm

We finalized the mix this morning. Phew. Then, this afternoon John sent the album to the distributor. It takes a few days for them to approve and then we're all go. It's very exciting for us.

The official launch date is April 30th, but we're still discussing the CD design so that date's a little up in the air. We'll let you know very VERY soon.

We'll be releasing a video for Slave in the next few days. Watch this space.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Jen5 wrote:
Oooo, I've never heard this band before. I'm listening now. The backgroud sounds are very strange. Totally intrigued.
Yes, they do a lot of layering and sound effects to pull you into the story. I'm sure you'll end up liking it. It's one of the albums I can listen to over and over.
Indeed. This one totally drew me in.

Slaves for life is SO good. Love the flutes of Midian. Gorgeous and then....y-e-a-h!..seriously intense and then just gorgeous again. 

Thanks again for the suggestion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!   VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VALLEY OF THE KINGS - Evans and Stokes - Drops April 30!
Page 1 of 1