Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forfeit Thee Untrue

Go down 
+6
kerrick
ishmael81
Xid
ChristTrekker
alldatndensum
Jen5
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Forfeit Thee Untrue Empty
PostSubject: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 am

This song isn't new, but it's new to me (as is the band) and gosh it's good. Their album "Cremationem Jesus Lacrimam" was a nice surprise today. I know metalcore isn't everyone's cup of tea but with their progressive influences, I thought maybe they might have a wider appeal. Anyone here a fan of Forfeit Thee Untrue? Apparently they're soon going to be heading into the studio to work new material.

And, their "Cradled in Black Arms"....chills.
"This is who I am...how it feels to break away. Let it go. These arms so safe saved me from the grave. Your hand I won't let go"
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 am

I was doing fine with it until the hardcore vocals started.  That's when I bolted for the door.  Sorry...the vocal style of this type of music ruins it for me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I was doing fine with it until the hardcore vocals started.  That's when I bolted for the door.  Sorry...the vocal style of this type of music ruins it for me.

This.

Quite a number of times I've listed to a new-to-me group and thought, "This band rocks! Awesome drums, love the guitars!" etc. Only to abruptly flee when the vox kicked in. 

I get it that lots of people do like the growls. Different strokes for different folks. But do *core fans do this with clean vox? (I tend to think that the people saying, "I won't listen to the song if it doesn't growl at me," are pretty few.) If not, why are these talented bands limiting their audience? Is it that hard to find a decent vocalist? With everything you can do in the studio with technology, you wouldn't even need to be a great vocalist. Honest questions.

My music collection holds lots of stuff I don't necessarily listen to (often). I want to be at least somewhat familiar with styles and artists in case I can drop the names as part of outreach. ("You like rap? Check these beats by ….") If one of these is something of a crossover and comes up in a playlist, oh well, only a few minutes until something I like better. But anything hardcore (for more than an isolated phrase or two) is out.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5513
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am

ChristTrekker wrote:

Is it that hard to find a decent vocalist?

Yes.

Vocals are a deal maker or breaker for me.  If the vocals aren't mixed correctly or are off a little, it kills the song.  A lot of good music is ruined by bad vocals whether by accident or on purpose.  Which is one reason I love instrumentals.

"Core" vocals are terrible in my opinion.  They are lazy.  No need to create a new melody line or harmonize.  Just another way for a talentless hack to pretend they are a musician.

Did I say that out loud?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am

Yes, you did!  For once, you will get int trouble by fans of this style instead of me!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Xid wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:

Yes.

Vocals are a deal maker or breaker for me.  If the vocals aren't mixed correctly or are off a little, it kills the song.  A lot of good music is ruined by bad vocals whether by accident or on purpose.  Which is one reason I love instrumentals.

"Core" vocals are terrible in my opinion.  They are lazy.  No need to create a new melody line or harmonize.  Just another way for a talentless hack to pretend they are a musician.

Did I say that out loud?
I understand your point but would like to say that some of those bands rely on the instruments for the melody. 

I get that a lot of people don’t like “core” vocals, I do. Just putting out a different view.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3496
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm

While I love me my black and death metal, I could never get into the core vocals.  However, when done right, I think they have an ability to convey powerful emotions that you just can't get from other styles.

I have one or two songs on samplers from FTU and for this style, I think they're quite good.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Songs with "Core" vocals are like a hot fudge sundae that smells like doggie poopie.  It looks like a hot fudge sundae.  It tastes like a hot fudge sundae.  It smells like doggie poopie.  I prefer my hot fudge sundae to look, taste and smell like a hot fudge sundae.

I understand that a lot of people like the style but I don't understand why.  To me the vocals are a monotone layer of noise on what could be an exceptional piece of music.

Music is subjective and to each their own.  Not my kind of hot fudge sundae.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I just wish more bands would have singers like Tiny Tim.  There's some killer vocals.

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

You may have just started yet another nonsensical sub-genre:  Tiny Tim Metal.
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 5:43 pm

kerrick wrote:
While I love me my black and death metal, I could never get into the core vocals.  However, when done right, I think they have an ability to convey powerful emotions that you just can't get from other styles.

I have one or two songs on samplers from FTU and for this style, I think they're quite good.

I've always lumped black/death/core vox together into the "metal guy can't sing" group. Don't see much difference. If you can point me to a sample that shows me otherwise, I'm willing to listen.
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Xid wrote:
ChristTrekker wrote:

Yes.

Heh. I hear you on the "lazy". I agree it is hard to find a great vocalist. "Good" for Friday night karaoke or Sunday morning worship is one thing, "good" for recording is another, right? I'd rather someone in the first group actually give it a shot, than just "give up".
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

A good vocalist, just like a good guitarist, bassist or drumist (any instrumentalist for that matter) will pour themselves into the song.  They'll take what they are given and bring it to a different level.  They'll feel the music and feed off of it.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Xid wrote:
Songs with "Core" vocals are like a hot fudge sundae that smells like doggie poopie.  It looks like a hot fudge sundae.  It tastes like a hot fudge sundae.  It smells like doggie poopie.  I prefer my hot fudge sundae to look, taste and smell like a hot fudge sundae.

I understand that a lot of people like the style but I don't understand why.  To me the vocals are a monotone layer of noise on what could be an exceptional piece of music.

Ha! Love that description, Xid. Sundae that smells like doggie doo. lol
I'm a clean vocals fan for the most part, but if the band (like Forfeit Thee Untrue) mix it up a bit, then I'm usually in. I think core vocals can inject a certain emotional tone that clean vocals struggle to do (angst is a good one that if sung clean can come across as whiny).
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 am

ChristTrekker wrote:
I've always lumped black/death/core vox together into the "metal guy can't sing" group. Don't see much difference. If you can point me to a sample that shows me otherwise, I'm willing to listen.

The best example I can think of, ChristTrekker, is Devin Townsend. Amazing singer. Once of the most versatile voices out there.

Here he is with clean vocals with a smattering of growls...

Clean vocals with grit...

Just gorgeous...

He's also been known to do songs where the balance is more growling with only a smattering of clean vocals. His song "Wrong Side" from his Strapping Young Lad days (an extreme metal band) is a good example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfnr0pxQQI). I'm not a fan of it and find this song disturbing but it illustrates the point. One of the best vocalists out there and he growls too. I'm not saying all vocalists that rely on growling are awesome singers (far from it), just that there are lots who have wonderful clean voices too. Jenny Skulander, Alissa White-Gluz, Rob Flynn, Bruce Fitzhugh...lots.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 10:58 am

A couple other bands whose singers who do both clean vocals and growls are Fear Factory and Dark Tranquillity
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 4:34 pm

The Letter Black now uses a lot of screams with the female clean vocals, too.  I don't like it at all as Sarah had such a strong voice without that foolishness.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Quote :

this

And I have, and still do, listen to some pretty hard stuff - In the 70s/80s style punk rock genre, hardcore punk, speed metal, thrash.. some of my all time favs. But growling, barking, screaming throughout entire songs has never worked for me.

A friend of mine took me to Facedown Fest a few years back and we seen 10 bands play that day. I can honestly say, I only enjoyed the bands, none of the vocalists. I felt assaulted and yelled at the entire day (yes, it lasted ALLLLL day).
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 pm

It could be worse. You could sound like a dying cow...

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Forfeit Thee Untrue Uchs110

People listen to that ????????????????
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 pm

That's crap all the way around.  Not even good music without the dying cow.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 pm

So I know some people don’t like that (I won’t pretend to care for it but there’s plenty of bands many others like here that I don’t.)

What if the person(s) that wrote and recorded that read our comments? Is that the Jesus we would want him to see?

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

If somebody vomited on a canvas and called it art would you lie and say that it's creative?
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 pm

It's weird as Christian music goes, yes, but it's got a certain trance thing going on that I find fascinating.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 8:59 am

Xid wrote:
If somebody vomited on a canvas and called it art would you lie and say that it's creative?
Red herring. First, I never said we had to call it art. Second, I never said we had to like it. 

If we represent Jesus, is that the representation you want out there? That if you don’t like something, it’s acceptable to insult it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forfeit Thee Untrue   Forfeit Thee Untrue I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forfeit Thee Untrue
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next