Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Never Alone - Evans and Serrano

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JLE3

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

Never Alone - Evans and Serrano Empty
PostSubject: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi everyone. Just finished a collab with Justin Serrano and we are looking for some candid feedback on basically everything. Music, lyrics, vocals, and especially the mix. Thanks in advance for listening and for taking the time to comment.

NEVER ALONE - EVANS AND SERRANO

Music: John Evans
Lyrics & Vocals: Justin Serrano

Never Alone - Evans and Serrano Never_11
Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 8:31 am

On the song "Never Alone", you need to bring a little bit of the low end on Justin's vocals out.  He is a nice mid range singer, but the way you have this EQ'd makes him sound like he is on a telephone.  Also, he is doing something during the choruses like he's trying to sound like Axl Rose's cleaner vocal.  He needs to just sing this with his natural voice.  Also, some huge backing vocals would help drive the chorus home.

Now, on to the music.  I wouldn't do much here.  I'd bring that electric rhythm guitar (not the strumming) out a touch more.  The bass and drums seem fine.  If I were to do anything with the bass, a few more flavorful runs mixed throughout would be nice, but that is just my natural playing style.

I am liking the "Beautiful Smile" track. Is it going to stay as an instrumental?  If Justin can nail it, a little Bruce Dickenson emulation might be nice.  The song isn't an Iron Maiden song per se, but it reminds me of that with the galloping parts.  The bass, drums, and guitars are PERFECT on this one, dude!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm

I would echo what all day said about the vocals - bump up his lows. 

As far as the music, I hesitate to comment as I listened on my iPhone speakers and thy were quiet cause I’m the only one awake. But from what I could hear, I’d bring up the guitar volume just a touch and bring down whatever effect you’re using in the chorus. I think it’s phaser but I’m not sure. It made it sound muddy to me. I could be mistaken so please feel free to disagree due to my listening set up.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Very cool!
Don't have too much to add myself, other then that the drums seem a little "punchy" (if that makes sense).  It's good that they have some life, but they kind of dominate the track IMHO.  The guitars are great (you are quickly becoming one of my favorite guitarists).
I also agree that song would greatly benefit from background vocals (calling Jenny, want to do some background vocals? Smile)

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 11:19 pm

I think the drums sound good but are too forward in the mix.  The lead guitar is a bit buried and could be brought up a tad.  Where the lead guitar comes in just before the chorus, first time at 0:37, almost feels a bit disjointed.  Personally, I don't care for the vocals.  Justin has a good voice so it's not that it's sung badly.

I like the chorused guitar that starts the song.  Cool sound!

Constructive criticism.  My opinion.  You are definitely a talented musician.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
JLE3

JLE3

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2016-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 am

Thank you all for this feedback. Justin and I have just connected on this as our first song and are trying to develop a sound. You all have been very helpful to Jenny and I in the past (and still) and I value your opinions quite a bit.

We're going to take this feedback and run with it! 

Staybrite - One of your favorite guitarists!!! Well I have to tell you it doesn't get any better than that for me buddy. That really means a lot. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.evansandstokes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never Alone - Evans and Serrano   Never Alone - Evans and Serrano I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Never Alone - Evans and Serrano
Page 1 of 1