Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!

Go down 
+2
Staybrite
alldatndensum
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-01-30

New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! Empty
PostSubject: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 6:16 am

It has been a long time coming since we last got an installment from The Letter Black.  I did the Kickstarter campaign for this one, so I am really looking forward to getting the music.  We should start getting it any day as we are less than two weeks from the official release date of May 26.  I think it is going to be a great album!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I really want to hear it.  I didn't do the kickstarter because I was very disappointed in the last album and pretty much never listen to it.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Thats the thing with this one.  On their last album, they pretty much did what the label wanted them to do.  Since they were without a label, this time they have said they were going in a more metal direction and were doing this to please themselves.  I hope they stick to that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 4:55 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Thats the thing with this one.  On their last album, they pretty much did what the label wanted them to do.  Since they were without a label, this time they have said they were going in a more metal direction and were doing this to please themselves.  I hope they stick to that.

I'm hoping the same.

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I should get a CD from their Kickstarter campaign, though I'm not too happy with how all that is playing out. I've seen on FB that some people have the CD already, even though there are still five or six days until release, and others have received notification that theirs is shipped. Meanwhile, I have yet to receive anything, product or word of shipment. When I indicated as such on one of the band's FB posts the reply I got was that the CDs people already have are from the distribution label. OK, I know none of the perks for the Kickstarter were to get the CD first or early, but it still seems wrong to me that people who didn't contributor to the Kickstarter campaign get the CD first, and before the release date even. If it weren't for the Kickstarter supporters it's possible no-one would get a CD. And now I see I can get the CD from Amazon for under $10, Prime shipping; I paid $20 to the Kickstarter, and all I get is two extra songs on the CD. This KS experience has me thinking hard before doing any others.  Mad
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2017 6:09 pm

A lot of people have had similar complaints about kick starter campaigns.  I really think some are hit and miss, and lot of artists shoot themselves in the foot by not treating their contributing fans better.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2017 8:08 am

BearDad wrote:
I should get a CD from their Kickstarter campaign, though I'm not too happy with how all that is playing out. I've seen on FB that some people have the CD already, even though there are still five or six days until release, and others have received notification that theirs is shipped. Meanwhile, I have yet to receive anything, product or word of shipment. When I indicated as such on one of the band's FB posts the reply I got was that the CDs people already have are from the distribution label. OK, I know none of the perks for the Kickstarter were to get the CD first or early, but it still seems wrong to me that people who didn't contributor to the Kickstarter campaign get the CD first, and before the release date even. If it weren't for the Kickstarter supporters it's possible no-one would get a CD. And now I see I can get the CD from Amazon for under $10, Prime shipping; I paid $20 to the Kickstarter, and all I get is two extra songs on the CD. This KS experience has me thinking hard before doing any others.  Mad

I am in the same boat!  Had I known it would be cheaper, I would not have contributed.  Of course, at that time, they were not even associated with a label and I wanted them to get a new record out.  Now, they are signed again.  I guess the label doesn't mind signing someone when there is no risk involved.

Disciple runs a good Kickstarter.  So did Bloodgood and John Schlitt.  If you do one, you need to use them as examples.  Find a way to get the album done on time if not early.  Get the perks out immediately.  I still don't have my shirt from the Rose campaign.  Guardian took two YEARS to get their album out.  Sean Micheal, a blues guy, got his money last year and nothing has happened.  These are unprofessional and downright pitiful if you ask me.

Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2017 2:06 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Had I known it would be cheaper, I would not have contributed.

I remember when they first started the campaign several of us commented their prices were too high. I didn't contribute until they came down to what I felt was a bit more reasonable. In retrospect I was an idiot. Rolling Eyes I'm not even a fan, really; to me their stuff is good, but nothing worth driving several hundred miles to see. They are the Friday night headliner on the rock stage at the Hills Alive festival this year. Disciple is the Saturday headliner, so I may make a day trip out there if the weather is right; I'm always up for an OTR motorcycle trip.

alldatndensum wrote:
Now, they are signed again.  I guess the label doesn't mind signing someone when there is no risk involved.

To be fair, the label they signed with is for distribution purposes only, not production, or so I'm told. Of course your point is still valid, as they are "safe" to sign once the record is made. Though it is hard to fault the band for signing a lucrative deal with someome to reproduce and sell their music.

alldatndensum wrote:
Sean Micheal, a blues guy, got his money last year and nothing has happened.

Kind of sounds like the Daniel Amos campaign ... I'm beginning to wonder if anything is ever going to happen over there.

Another one that some people are apparently sour about is Demon Hunter. I contributed and got the CD, as promised, but I have since bought the vinyl and am hearing that what I received is not what the KS contributors received. Mine is actually a double LP recorded at 45rpm, presumably for a higher quality sound, and was produced by Solid State records after the campaign ended. Meanwhile, it appears the vinyl received by KS contributors was a single LP in 33rpm. Personally, I'd probably prefer the LP, but from what I'm seeing on FB some folks are less than pleased with getting what appears to be a lower quality item from the campaign, and probably for more $$.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 8:25 am

Well, they did not get the CDs out when promised for those who funded their Kickstarter drive.  To pacify everyone, they did release the MP3s.  I am getting tired of bands promising delivery dates and not keeping them.  I know--there are always unforeseen factors at play that can push things back. 

I am still waiting for a shirt from one Kickstarter campaign.  Another that you all remember took two years to deliver the CD and that didn't include the other perks that took longer.

Sometimes you get albums you just didn't want or like from artists.

I will go more into it perhaps with a Kickstarter blog or rant, but I think I am done supporting bands through crowdfunding.  For the most part, it ends up not being an enjoyable experience for me.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 11:48 am

alldatndensum wrote:

I will go more into it perhaps with a Kickstarter blog or rant, but I think I am done supporting bands through crowdfunding.  For the most part, it ends up not being an enjoyable experience for me.

I think I'm almost with you there, however most of my crowdfunding participation has been relatively positive. I will say that I have only done about 4 or 5 of them, and I have never kicked in money for anything more than a CD.

I didn't do a few that I was seriously thinking about joining, and I feel like I dodged a bullet since it turns out I wouldn't have liked the music much at all (ie. Guardian & The Letter Black), but I really wish I had joined the Bloodgood campaign, they ended up releasing one of the best albums of their career.

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 8:26 am

I've only contributed to 4 crowdfunds - Michael Knott, 2 for John Mark McMillan and the Fast Feeling.

Knott - I've gotten everything but the DVD that started the whole project (and that stinks as I quit really listening to him for personal reasons. Now when the DVD comes in, what am I supposed to do with it?)

McMillan - this one is still in progress. I paid back in November or December, but he warned folks he wouldn't start recording until he hit his goal. I also contributed to his Borderland project back in 2015 and he started before he hit goal and had to wait a few times until more money came in to fund studio time.

The Fast Feeling - Best campaign I've paid into. They had weekly updates, and we got our perks two weeks before the expected date.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I've been part of 16 crowdfunding projects, 14 from KickStarter and 2 from PledgeMusic. On average I would give them a 8 out of 10 rating, as only a couple of been bad experiences. Of the 16, two are still outstanding, with the expected release dates in July and August, and two others are in limbo -- The Letter Black (sure, I got the MP3s, but I pledged for the CD), and Cloverton, who at last word has had personnel issues (the band consists of brothers, and they are fighting!) and are now two months behind the 4/17 expected release date.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 8:24 am

I've been part of close to 20 crowdfunding campaigns.  Bloodgood, John Schlitt, and One Bad Pig were the best.  Disciple was cool, too, as one of theirs they sent out the digital files a month earlier than planned.

I've had more negative experiences than positive.  Many artists don't give updates--even after they go past the promised deadlines.  Merch that you pledged for gets held up for months and months.  Sometimes it never comes.  The bands sometimes do albums that the fans didn't want.  I've even done one where I am wondering, especially since the artist has gone silent on Facebook and his own website, if the project is even happening.  Don't think you can't be ripped off through crowdfunding.

Personally, I think it would be better to do what Bride did for their last few.  Do just a simple preorder for the album.  Let that be your budget, but have studio time booked so that you can start and finish the album quickly without making a shoddy project.  Then, give the album to those preorders early and possibly autographed.  Boom.  Old school crowdfunding.  And, you know what?  I ALWAYS got my album from them as promised and by the promised time.  Saint has done the same, but of course they have their own studio.  I like this a lot better than the overpriced crowdfunding sites pledge system.

Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm

So, was the new Letter Black album any good?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:

I still haven't listened to it! LOL! When I get a knew CD I listen to it in my truck for a few days, but if I get something in digital format only I'll listen at work, and I guess I keep forgetting about this one.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:

To be honest, it just didn't do anything for me.  I feel like they've done this album several times before.

I think I am losing my taste for this type of rock, too.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm

I tried listening to it on Spotify and ended up skipping a lot of it....so not something I dig.  But like Alldat I've kind of lost my taste for this style almost completely.

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Still waiting to get my copy from the Kickstarter campaign, but I was really late filling out my survey (I don't visit that site all that often) so hopefully I'll get it soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am

I filled out my survey within minutes of them coming out and haven't gotten my CD yet.  This is another nail in the coffin of crowdfunding for me.

Last edited by alldatndensum on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 4:24 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I filled out my survey within minutes of them coming out and haven't gotten my CD yet.  Another nail in thencoffin of crowdfunding for me.

Same.  Mad
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Well, we were promised that CDs would be mailed out by the end of June.  I guess three weeks later isn't bad seeing that you could get them at Amazon a month ago and from the band at shows nearly two months ago.  I FINALLY got my CD today.

Back to top Go down
Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 pm

I got mine last week as well and finally got a chance to listen to it today. Really really good album.
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 6:02 pm

It is an okay album.  Most of the songs sound very similar to me.  With replacing a lot of the singing vocals with the monotone screaming, I end up skipping quite a few tracks on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!   New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New The Letter Black CD.....dropping in 11 days!
Page 1 of 1