Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Philadelphia.

Go down 
+5
Follower of Jesus
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
Xid
rockerVu2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 am

Is an old school band.
Have you listened to their CD(s)?

Bill Roxx announced a brand new Philiadelphia album.
I'm sure I can find songs online to get an idea how Philadelphia sounds.
Did you liked this band?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 am

I had Tell The Truth on cassette back in the day.  I did pick up both Tell The Truth and Search And Destroy re-releases on CD.  I'll give them a spin now and again.  They're all right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm

The new album is definitely worth picking up.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 3:07 pm

I had "To Tell the Truth" from the M8 reissue several years back.  I really couldn't get into it much at all....so I never even checked out "Search & Destroy".  I did purchase a download of the new album and will say I find it substantially better then their first album.

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 5:00 pm

The new album is okay, but not great. Also, watch for profanity in one of the songs (can't remember which one). I can handle bad language but I don't like it from a Christian group.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 7:10 am

Do Christians never use "bad language"?  Is there a list of words in the Bible that are seriously taboo to use?  I find a lot of things that people say to be horribly evil or vulgar and no cuss words come out while they are speaking.  I think, except for the F-bomb and GDit, that we give too much power to some words by making them taboo.  What really is the difference in not using one word and substituting with crap, poop, feces, turd, excrement, or dung (Biblical)?  Isn't it still just digested food?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-08-03

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 am

"Words Mr. Wordsworth!" Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 10:40 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Do Christians never use "bad language"?  Is there a list of words in the Bible that are seriously taboo to use?  I find a lot of things that people say to be horribly evil or vulgar and no cuss words come out while they are speaking.  I think, except for the F-bomb and GDit, that we give too much power to some words by making them taboo.  What really is the difference in not using one word and substituting with crap, poop, feces, turd, excrement, or dung (Biblical)?  Isn't it still just digested food?

Depends on the context too. If I say "Screw you to someone in traffic" that's worse that saying [email=F@#% you]F*#% you[/email] in a joking manner to a friend.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm

I don't find this to be a boring album.  In fact, I do like it but feel that it suffers a little from lack of big hooks in the chorus.  Philadelphia have never really had those, however, and may just not write that way.  Some of your early metal bands didn't have those big hooks and we loved it anyway.  It wasn't until metal became more commercial during the latter 70s and 80s that the big hook really evolved into what we know and love today.  So, maybe this band is just bucking what is deemed as commercial and making music they like.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
graybeardheadbanger

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-07-04

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 am

I'm listening now--I'm glad this was released--I remember really liking the tracks that were included on the M8 version of Search and Destroy.

What stands out negatively me to me is that the vocals are calmer, probably the result of age.  He is able to still hit the notes, but not with the same force, etc.  It gives me more of a rock feel than a metal one.  The album lacks the edge of the classic two albums, even though the actual instrumentation is probably more skilled.  Still, I am WAY glad this was released and will definitely pick it up.  But it does sound a bit like the common phenomenon of an older band coming back to the scene and trying against hope to capture their old magic--it's not quite there, IMO, but it's still a worthwhile effort.  My two cents.

BTW, I haven't been around firestream for ages, but I recognize some of the usernames.  Good to be back!  graybeardheadbanger
Back to top Go down
graybeardheadbanger

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

Actually, I went back and listened to the album in order--it is leaving a more favorable impression on me now (I started off just checking out 2 or 3 songs randomly on youtube).

One thing that strikes mere is that the band might be trying to appeal just a tad to the doom metal crowd--this isn't doom metal by a long shot, but it does seem tempered a bit from the more classic/power metal strains of their first two albums, and just a touch more plodding or, if one prefers, "chunky."  In any case, I do like it a bit more, though I thought it was decent at first glance as well.  Either way, I'll be picking it up.

graybeardheadbanger
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey GBH good to see your familiar name again.

Admin
alldatndensum

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Welcome back!  I do remember the name from a few years ago!

Back to top Go down
graybeardheadbanger

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Welcome back!  I do remember the name from a few years ago!
Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2016 8:10 pm

I am still enjoying this album.  It isn't my favorite for the year, but it is still going to make my top 10 for the year.  Of course, I am awaiting the release of Rose, Michael Sweet, and Eden's Way before I start to solidify my ranking for 2016.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 8:08 am

Welcome graybeardheadbanger.
You've visited CHM before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Philadelphia. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Philadelphia.   Philadelphia. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Philadelphia.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: