Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... Empty
PostSubject: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 12:45 pm

This is getting stupid... If you're a Christian baker, you can't refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding, but if you're a Muslim truck driver, you have every right to refuse to take loads that would violate your religious beliefs - even though nobody else has that option (at least from what I understand - I'm not a trucker and don't know any, but I doubt many companies would survive if every driver got to pick and choose which assignments they wanted to take).

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/10-22-15b.cfm
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Just another example of how the p.c. movement is really just another excuse to give everyone except for Christians "special rights".

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:23 am

This is frustrating but not really all that surprising, at least to believers. Jesus told us the world would hate us - and this is one way.

Please don't think I'm dismissing your thoughts or anything - like I said, it's frustrating.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 10:12 am

Let me see if I've got this right. A Muslim gets a quarter of a million dollars when his religious beliefs are violated, yet a Christian county clerk gets jailed when hers are violated?
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 10:55 am

Welcome to the United States of Babylon! All hail King Obama!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 9:40 am

metaldude wrote:
Let me see if I've got this right. A Muslim gets a quarter of a million dollars when his religious beliefs are violated, yet a Christian county clerk gets jailed when hers are violated?

I see where you're coming from, but the clerk was jailed for not listening to a court order from a judge.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 1:37 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but the clerk was jailed for not listening to a court order from a judge.

The court ordered her to violate her beliefs.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 2:53 pm

metaldude wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:

Maybe so, but Romans 13 tells us to be governed by the authorities because God is the one who put them in place. Not quite so black and white as we want it to be, is it?

The bigger issue, for this whole deal, is that we should live by our convictions but those convictions should be measured by the Greatest Commandment. Was Mrs. Davis sincere in her convictions? I believe so. Was she treating her neighbor (since Jesus tells us every person we come in contact with our neighbor) with the same love as she applies to herself? No, not really.

If it was that big an issue, she should have resigned. I mean, if she and God are that tight, He would have provided another job, wouldn't he?

But if she had resigned, then she wouldn't have had her 15 minutes in the spotlight.

My overall point here is that we (and by "we" I mean "Christians") are usually the quickest people to get offended and the most stubborn in fighting for and demanding "our rights". Which, unless I misunderstand what Jesus taught, is the very opposite of what we should do.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2015 10:43 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:

Maybe so, but Romans 13 tells us to be governed by the authorities because God is the one who put them in place. Not quite so black and white as we want it to be, is it?

The bigger issue, for this whole deal, is that we should live by our convictions but those convictions should be measured by the Greatest Commandment. Was Mrs. Davis sincere in her convictions? I believe so. Was she treating her neighbor (since Jesus tells us every person we come in contact with our neighbor) with the same love as she applies to herself? No, not really.

If it was that big an issue, she should have resigned. I mean, if she and God are that tight, He would have provided another job, wouldn't he?

But if she had resigned, then she wouldn't have had her 15 minutes in the spotlight.

My overall point here is that we (and by "we" I mean "Christians") are usually the quickest people to get offended and the most stubborn in fighting for and demanding "our rights". Which, unless I misunderstand what Jesus taught, is the very opposite of what we should do.

Be careful. It's very easy to say what someone should have done when we ourselves have never been placed in that position. Almost as easy as saying what we would have done had we been placed in that position. For what it is worth I agree that she should have resigned, and I would like to think that I would have in her position. But in truth I just don't know because I've never been faced with a situation remotely similar to hers.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 9:50 am

BearDad wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:

Be careful. It's very easy to say what someone should have done when we ourselves have never been placed in that position. Almost as easy as saying what we would have done had we been placed in that position. For what it is worth I agree that she should have resigned, and I would like to think that I would have in her position. But in truth I just don't know because I've never been faced with a situation remotely similar to hers.

Maybe a good point.

I work somewhere where I have to be silent about my faith or I can get fired (I work for the state government). But I still find ways to work it in. We also use behavior analysis and employ a BCBA - and the first rule of BA is that there is no external force that drives our decisions or behavior (meaning a deity of any kind). I have to use this regularly. So everyday, I walk into a job where my faith is not allowed to exist. The maintenance department has a calendar with nude women, my coworkers can talk about all manner of foul things, but if I talk about my faith, I can be disciplined or even terminated. 

Sure, it's easy to say I don't know what I would do if my job ordered me to do something that was explicitly against my faith (other than the two things above). But I would like to think I wouldn't try to portray myself as a martyr.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm

I work for the state government as well, and while I obviously can't talk about my faith in emails or other official documents or applications, I don't shy away from it in regular discussions with coworkers.  Fortunately, as a computer programmer that primarily develops web sites for other agencies, in particular Revenue, motor vehicles, and game, fish, and parks, I am not likely to have to do anything within the realm of my job that will be in direct opposition to my beliefs. However, should it come up I am confident that my manager has enough respect for me that he would give the project to someone else.  Hopefully I won't ever have to test that confidence!

What state do you work for?  If anyone around here put up nude pix they'd be canned in a heartbeat!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Missouri. So the maintenance guys work for a different part of the government than I and most of my colleagues do. We're Department of Mental Health staff, and they're with Office of Admin. Luckily, the calendar came down last year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...   Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers...
Page 1 of 1