Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I need some advice

Go down 
+5
MikeInFla
messiaen77
Through The Dark Radio
Staybrite
ishmael81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

So long story short -

I was accused (falsely) of harassing a supervisee back in October. Our statewide policy dictates that an investigation has to be completed in 5 business days. Tomorrow will be day 110 since the allegation.

This crap has caused me a lot of stress and the guy that did the accusing is getting away with it. He's also told other people about it (I think) even though the policy says not to. The reason I think this is that I've told two people I supervise (because it affects me being in disciplinary meetings with them) and told them to keep it to themselves. If he didn't and they didn't, that leave HR and upper management... which is scary.

So basically I want some advice here. I have three options.

1. I could file a grievance that upper management didn't follow the policy. This would go to my boss, then her boss's boss, then to a big boss at the Capitol (I work for the state, remember...). This would force them to do something, but because it's forcing the issue, I fear my boss's boss would take it out on me. First, she holds a grudge and second, I believe she hates men.

2. I could file a harassment claim against administration for failing the investigation. This would also force their hand but in a much stronger way. I would be accusing them of sexually discriminating (did I mention that my boss, her boss, her boss's boss and our HR director are all women?) me because I'm a man. This could get much uglier than a grievance.

3. Do nothing.

Thoughts? If I file the grievance tomorrow, it will be day 110, which I think is a nice anniversary to remind them of how bad they're screwing up my professional reputation.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Ouch, really tough to figure that one out.  Sadly it looks like no matter what you do it could (or maybe will) come back to bite you.  Sorry I got no advice, but I will be praying that you are lead to make the best decision.

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 pm

I would suggest two things: email your boss and see if they've heard anything in regards to the investigation since it has been so long since the incident.  Keep copies of every reply.  Documentation is essential in some cases.

Second, I would recommend seeking out another job somewhere else.  Having this over your head for so long is not a good sign.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 pm

Not #2--it seems you would have to prove that this was handled the way it was because of your sex.  It also opens you up to the same claim.  I think TTDR's suggestion is the best option at this point.
Back to top Go down

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 12:46 am

This is a complicated situation....I agree what TTDR suggested is best...or have you ever considered a career at Quicktrip...just kidding
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 6:05 am

I would file a grievance. I assume you are not a union shop? We are Union where I work and this type of thing is resolved normally within 5 days. This type of grievance is handled swiftly. Some grievances take a while but this one would be pushed thru pretty quick.

My advice, as a Union Official, would be to file the grievance in writing. Date it, sign it and get supervision to sign and date. Keep one copy for yourself, give one to the person that signed and give the 3rd copy to that person's supervisor. Follow up 5 days later. If no response contact the person of the whole place. We also have a compliance hotline and we can anaoymously call and file complaints that way too. 

Then if still no answer.file the harrasment charge. That should get some type of.investigation going.

I just re-read your post and since you do supervise people you prob don't have a Union. 

Anything you do keep a PAPER trail AND a DIGITAL trail. Make sure everything has dates.

Things might work different in a state job but so I am not sure how things operate if no Collective Bargaining Agreement is in place.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 am

TTDR and messiaen77 - I agree with both of those thoughts. The harassment claim would be hard to prove.

Savage - I would love to work at Quik Trip if they paid enough.

MikeInFla - We are unionized but since I'm a supervisor I'm not part of the union. I don't mind it so much except there really isn't someone to fight for me but me.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 8:25 pm

If they haven't done anything after the 5 days, I wouldn't worry about it.  They aren't planning on pursuing it most likely or they would have.  Just forgive and forget.  However, keep anything in the future just in case they make this allegation again.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Deepfriar

Deepfriar

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-11-21

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 6:08 am

Yeah I was a little hesitant to give my opinion because it's radically different, but if you have a good job I say #3: do nothing.  I keep to myself and do my work and go home, I don't make friends at work, I don't hang out with people outside of work, I just find it easier that way.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 7:14 am

I'm more in the "do nothing" camp, as I'm generally not a confrontational person. "Say nothing, document everything."
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts.

Well, to be frank the job is not good. I hate it, in fact. I'm thankful to have a job but.... anyway.

So I emailed my boss's boss, and cc'ed my boss yesterday and basically said it's been 110 days/22 weeks and I was wondering if there had been some resolution because I had not received anything in writing regarding the outcome. She emailed back and said she would find something out.

The biggest concern I have is that if I try to transfer, as of now, I would be disapproved because this is outstanding. We'll see what happens I guess.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Quick update:

I emailed my boss's boss Thursday morning and told her it had been 110 days since the allegation and that it concerned me that the issue hadn't been resolved. I copied my boss on the email.

Today, I got an official letter that the complaint has been considered resolved due to lack of cooperation on the part of the accuser. Just that simple.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Great news!

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23467
Registration date : 2007-01-30

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm

It looks like God worked this out for you!  Amen!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Good to hear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need some advice   I need some advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need some advice
Page 1 of 1