Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest

Go down 
+4
kerrick
topshot rhit
MikeInFla
Guilty/Forgiven
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest Empty
PostSubject: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 pm

By now you know the drill: Say I can only afford 5 Judas Priest albums right now. Which 5 are the best of the best ?
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Sad Wings Of Destiny
Unleashed In The East
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders Of The Faith
Painkiller

Recently found Stained Class on vinyl tho, and that one is pretty solid too.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
By now you know the drill: Say I can only afford 5 Judas Priest albums right now. Which 5 are the best of the best ?

Again, a great old catalog not many people know about but we'll stick with well rounded top 5

Sad Wings of Destiny
Stained Class
British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Turbo (more for the different sound to be well rounded than Painkiller)

kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 2:44 pm

I used to have Point Of Entry and really enjoyed that one a lot. It may not be one of their "best" but I liked it! As I recall, it was a re-release and I particularly liked the bonus track(s).
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm

I used to have this greatest hits of sorts too which was fantastic:

http://smile.amazon.com/Metal-Works-1973-Judas-Priest/dp/B000002960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420746228&sr=8-1&keywords=judas+priest+metal+works
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Metal Works is a good one but misses key tracks from the RCA days, only including the live version that appeared on later works (live versions) that appeared on CBS Records. Metal Works is a fine collection but missing many key tracks.

How could I forget British Steel?!? Mark off Defenders off my list and replace is with BS (British Steel that is!)  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm

I wouldn't get Turbo until near the end of your collecting. Listen to it first, it's weak imo. I'd also get Jugulator. Yeah, it's not Rob but Owens does a great job and it slays.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

In the 80's my three "go to" bands were Queensryche, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.  So I definitely have an opinion about this one.  I wouldn't waste any money on anything the band recorded after Painkiller (1990)

Sad Wings of Destiny
Stained Class
British Steel
Point of Entry (many might disagree but this is a fantastic album)
Screaming For Vengeance

This list was easier for me to come up with than the Queensryche one was.  They have several other great albums, but a few stinkers as well.  I certainly wouldn't get "Ram It Down" unless you can find it really cheap, it's just a dull, lackluster kind of album...seemed like the band was on auto-pilot.

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm

My list might invoke the wrath of the Priest faithful,  but here it is:

Unleashed In The East - some of those live tracks sound better than the studio. 
Screaming For Vengeance - monumental album
British Steel - My first Priest album.
Painkiller - Welcome, Mr Travis. Please pound our heads some more.
Jugulator - My personal favorite. The band took heavy criticism,  but this album is a metal meltdown from front to back.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm

metaldude wrote:
My list might invoke the wrath of the Priest faithful,  but here it is:

Unleashed In The East - some of those live tracks sound better than the studio. 
Screaming For Vengeance - monumental album
British Steel - My first Priest album.
Painkiller - Welcome, Mr Travis. Please pound our heads some more.

I've read that the studio touch-ups on Unleashed in the East were so extensive that it was pretty much a studio album.  Still a fantastic album though.

I will ignore the blasphemy that was your last entry and continue to like you anyway.  Laughing

metaldude

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 5:48 pm

I know it's not popular but Travis and Owens were like a shot of adrenaline to the band. Even Ian Hill started bustin' off bass riffs. They couldn't do a stereotypical JP album with that lineup. Just look what happened with Demolition. They tried to do a standard Priest album and it didn't work. I saw them tour Jugulator and, to this day,  it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen. 

For what it's worth, I supported Halford. I bought all the Fight albums and saw them live. Even covered them in one of the bands I was in.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Let's not forget this classic. 

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:02 pm

NO NO NO.....that's just horrible!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Yep, Jugulator is a great album. Listen to Cathedral Spires and tell me it's not awesome.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 12:01 am

Staybrite wrote:
NO NO NO.....that's just horrible!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Hell Bent For Leather
Screaming For vengeance
Point of Entry
Angel Of Retribution
Turbo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest   Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for TOPSHOT- Judas Priest
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: