Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HEDDA - "The Storm"

Go down 
+3
Follower of Jesus
Staybrite
Dynamis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

HEDDA - "The Storm" Empty
PostSubject: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello,

I was recently contacted by a new power metal band from Milwaukee called HEDDA about reviewing its new album entitled "The Storm". Please note that all four members of HEDDA are Christians- so I guess you might call the group a "band of Christians", sort of like Jacobs Dream. "The Storm", at the same time, is a concept album "detailing a "(fictitious) second angelic war; Arch-angels, fallen angels, nephilim and man caught in between".

You can listen to samples at the groups website: http://www.heddatheband.com/

Select the "Releases" link from the top of the page to hear the samples.

What does everyone think? Personally, I like the vocals (I hear a bit of a Tate and Dickinson thing going) while the music is quite powerful and melodic. Production is quite good as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm

I listened to the samples and like what I'm hearing. I like the variety in the vocal delivery.

Gotta confess I was a little shocked to see the half-naked female angel art thingy on their page, but seeing as how they are probably not technically a "Christian band" I guess it's to be expected.

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I like the music and the art alot. Being a fan and reader of heavy Metal Magazine, Vampirella and Red Sonja graphic novels the art is right up my ally. Me and my wife both have art like this tattooed on us and I have posters on the music room walls. The music is heavy, well written and played, well produced and definitely in the same league as Rhapsody, Symphony X and Narnia.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 am

Staybrite wrote:
I listened to the samples and like what I'm hearing. I like the variety in the vocal delivery.

Gotta confess I was a little shocked to see the half-naked female angel art thingy on their page, but seeing as how they are probably not technically a "Christian band" I guess it's to be expected.

I disagree. If they're professing Christians, even if the music isn't Christian, they should conduct themselves in a biblical manner. I was going to check this out, but I appreciate the warning. The last thing my lust-tempted mind needs is exposure to half-naked women, even if it is artistic and not photography. I wish if "Christians" want to have stuff like this, they'd just abandon telling anyone they profess to be Christians.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 am

So I guess you wish I wouldn't proclaim my faith foj!!!?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I disagree. If they're professing Christians, even if the music isn't Christian, they should conduct themselves in a biblical manner.

I agree with that, but I'm not even sure any of the band members claim to be Christian....they might just think they are "Christian Friendly".

Another thing I have noticed is that many people claim Christ as their savior but have very very different ideas of what it means to be (or even behave) as a Christian. Including many people on this board.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Staybrite wrote:

I agree with you there, Staybrite. I don't have a problem with them doing that, but it kind of put me off, and the fact that the lyrics aren't openly Christian is another reason I'm not that interested. BUT on a music and vocal front this is very good stuff.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 pm

First, I would like to start off by offering a bit of an apology here. Looks like I opened a can of worms without thinking things through enough- so sorry if I caused any distractions or caused anyone to stumble as a result of this. When I first visited the groups website and viewed the female warrior angel artwork, I did not give it a second thought, and perhaps I should have stopped to consider things further.

Second, good points were made on both sides of the fence. Still, from a reviewers vantage I do not think it is justified to turn the band away due to the artwork at their website (just my opinion). I plan to move forward with the review when the album is officially released. If you disagree then please feel free to correct me but do so gently.

Quote :
I agree with that, but I'm not even sure any of
the band members claim to be Christian....they might just think they are
"Christian Friendly".

Please note that my contact with the band reassured me that "all 4 members of HEDDA are Christians". Hence, we have a "band of Christians" or "Christians in a band" thing going on here. One of the HEDDA members at the bands website lists the Holy Bible as his favorite book and even quotes from the book of Proverbs.

Please let me know what your thoughts are in this area.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:02 am

None of us have the right to judge the members walk or challenge their faith. It sounds like they don't claim to be a christian ministry band. The art work is cool with me but if it offends some then maybe they should just move on. You are reviewing the music..not the members personal view and walk. I was told that is the purpose of this board..to talk music. We aren't allowed to judge or challenge each other so we shouldn't judge or challenge anyone.
Back to top Go down
Timshell64

Timshell64

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 am

Dynamis you go ahead and review the band like you always do. I believe you do an excellent job at what you do. So please do not let any of us discourage you from it. As far as Hedda goes each of us will follow our "own" convictions and listen or not listen.

All of us have to walk our own walk. But I remember a passage that says "as Iron sharpens iron, so does a friend sharpen the contenance of a friend." if you have ever been around when iron is getting sharpened you know there is a lot of sparks and friction, like around here sometimes ha ha. But it the is the Holy Spirit that brings conviction. It is not our job to try to convict someone, we are just supposed to live for the Lord and act accordingly!! Well enough of me talking. Andy keep up the good work!!

Tim
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 am

Staybrite wrote:
Another thing I have noticed is that many people claim Christ as their savior but have very very different ideas of what it means to be (or even behave) as a Christian. Including many people on this board.

Dude, I thought we agreed you weren't going to tell anybody! lol!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Dynamis wrote:
First, I would like to start off by offering a bit of an apology here. Looks like I opened a can of worms without thinking things through enough- so sorry if I caused any distractions or caused anyone to stumble as a result of this. When I first visited the groups website and viewed the female warrior angel artwork, I did not give it a second thought, and perhaps I should have stopped to consider things further.

Second, good points were made on both sides of the fence. Still, from a reviewers vantage I do not think it is justified to turn the band away due to the artwork at their website (just my opinion). I plan to move forward with the review when the album is officially released. If you disagree then please feel free to correct me but do so gently.

I don't think you have any need to apologize Andy, and I'm sorry if my post made you feel as if you opened a can of worms (I was actually the one who opened the can). I don't disagree with you at all, and think you should review the album. The only reason I brought it up is because it is an area I struggle with personally...so I am probably over sensitive to "visual stimulation". I can certainly understand that it may not be an issue for others, and that many may not even find it suggestive at all. I have been more than a little surprised by what other self-proclaimed Christian bands have decided to use for their album art, but others seem to enjoy it.

Quote :
Quote :
I agree with that, but I'm not even sure any of
the band members claim to be Christian....they might just think they are
"Christian Friendly".

Please note that my contact with the band reassured me that "all 4 members of HEDDA are Christians". Hence, we have a "band of Christians" or "Christians in a band" thing going on here. One of the HEDDA members at the bands website lists the Holy Bible as his favorite book and even quotes from the book of Proverbs.

Thanks for clarifying that. Smile (sorry I missed it in your original post)

Last edited by Staybrite on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Timshell64 wrote:
Dynamis you go ahead and review the band like you always do. I believe you do an excellent job at what you do. So please do not let any of us discourage you from it. As far as Hedda goes each of us will follow our "own" convictions and listen or not listen.

All of us have to walk our own walk. But I remember a passage that says "as Iron sharpens iron, so does a friend sharpen the contenance of a friend." if you have ever been around when iron is getting sharpened you know there is a lot of sparks and friction, like around here sometimes ha ha. But it the is the Holy Spirit that brings conviction. It is not our job to try to convict someone, we are just supposed to live for the Lord and act accordingly!! Well enough of me talking. Andy keep up the good work!!

Tim

Again Tim, extremely well said!

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 2:14 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
None of us have the right to judge the members walk or challenge their faith. It sounds like they don't claim to be a christian ministry band. The art work is cool with me but if it offends some then maybe they should just move on. You are reviewing the music..not the members personal view and walk. I was told that is the purpose of this board..to talk music. We aren't allowed to judge or challenge each other so we shouldn't judge or challenge anyone.

I believe there is a difference in expressing disappointment in something coming from a Christian and questioning that person's faith. I don't think anyone was questioning whether or not the band members where Christian.

And that disappointment need not be a judgement either. I can be disappointed that I didn't win the lottery, but that does not mean I condemn the lottery system (ok bad analogy I know). I can be disappointed that my son didn't graduate with an university degree and instead became a construction worker, but that doesn't mean I am condemning his decision....(make sense?)

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Well I wasn't going to mention it in public, but since you brought it up in a public forum I will tell you once again that it is not at all scriptural for you to pray to Justin Bieber to intercede on your behalf to God. You need to stop it....NOW!!!

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Well I wasn't going to mention it in public, but since you brought it up in a public forum I will tell you once again that it is not at all scriptural for you to pray to Justin Bieber to intercede on your behalf to God. You need to stop it....NOW!!!

TRAITOR!!! Tongue

ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Sorry I couldn't resist. lol!

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello,

I just want everyone to know I have been in contact with HEDDA bassist and lyricist Jamie Mac, who wrote the following disclaimer about both the band and its upcoming release "The Storm" (which I still plan to review):

"I wrote HEDDA's concept album 'The Storm' based on information and IDEAS garnered from numerous sources including, but not limited to, The Holy Bible, John Milton's 'Paradise Lost', several texts discussing Angelic lore, Hollywood and my own imagination. BE ADVISED: Though all 4 members of HEDDA are indeed of Christian faith, and the topic of 'The Storm' does include spiritual concepts, we do NOT consider or promote HEDDA or HEDDA's music as "Christian" or religious. This album is by no means designed to be a religious commentary...The story told in 'The Storm' is simply that - a story. 'The Storm' is a completely fictitious chapter in what I consider to be the oldest and best story ever told; the story of the perpetual battle between good and evil, of temptation, moral dilemmas and sacrifice, of tough choices and the hope of redemption. I am, among other things, the lyricist for the band and quite honestly, the concept of Angels, Heavenly and fallen - a good story must have counter-posed forces - has always fascinated me. This album is the product of decades of MY contemplation on the subject of angels. The artwork on the HEDDA site and in the CD insert is indeed provocative and is designed to be eye-catching and to illustrate and convey MY depictions of the severe beauty and immense power that is inherent to these beings." Jamie Mac - HEDDA
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am

Depicting half-naked women is not, IMO, necessary to demonstrate anything.

And BT, we are called to judge those within the church, not because we are superior, but because we call out a sinning brother to save him. These guys claim to be Christians, so they are open to other believers questioning and challenging things that are unbiblical. We don't judge the motives of others, because only God knows the heart (I Cor. 2:11, I Cor. 4:5); but we do judge the actions of fellow believers (I Cor. 2:15, John 7:24, Gal. 2:11-14, I Tim. 5:20, II Tim. 4:2)

James 5:20 praises a believer for saving a fellow brother from a sinful path. How does one do that unless he has first judged that the fellow brother is in fact on a sinful path?

There is a danger when we as believers attempt to judge unbelievers. That is not our job, but God's alone. Likewise, when we ascribe motives to others or judge the condition of their heart or their walk with God, we are in error. But we are to consider the actions of others and we can and should judge them sinful or righteous, and if sinful, to say so. Not to embarrass the person, but to restore them.

I think the artwork on Hedda's page is inappropriate at best, and in my opinion, sinful. I do not challenge the guys' claims to be believers. That is between them and God, and I accept their profession. But that does not change my belief that this artwork is not right.
Back to top Go down
unworthy

unworthy

Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 11:02 am

as to the artwork... well, what is the point? I see nothing to be gained from it...

as to the music.. the snippet I decided to listen to sounds good... but I won't listen to more of it nor purchase anything from them.. not because I am offended at their artwork but because from the description of their album the lyrics are not up to part as far as I'm concerned... and that matters a **** of a lot more to me than artwork.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HEDDA - "The Storm"   HEDDA - "The Storm" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HEDDA - "The Storm"
Page 1 of 1