Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Changes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:46 pm

UGH. i'm a creature of habit and i need order. changes in my routine always throw me off kilter, but i've lived through them before. now i've got to do it again.

the first change is my work schedule.
i've been working this straight 2nd shift [4pm to midnight] for the last 3 years. i took this job after losing a job i'd had for 15 years, where i worked a 12.5 hour swing shift schedule.
getting used to doing just a straight 8 hours was a change and it threw my system into turmoil, but i got used to it.
now, after getting used to being in my bed every night, my company has announced we're switching to a 12 hour fixed shift. there'll be two 12 hour day shifts and two 12 hour night shifts, 4 days on, 4 days off.
i'll be working the night shift, 7pm to 7am.

i actually dont mind it too bad. i've been working a 6 to 7 day work schedule since May and i'm burned out. i need some time off and this will get us time off. right now the idea of working 4 days and getting 4 in a row off sounds real good.

it's going to take some getting used to, of course, so it brings me to my second change.
i'm only taking one class this semester, but i'm thinking about dropping it and picking it up again in the Spring [Jan. '10].
as it is, the class i'm taking isnt one i signed up for. some random glitch bounced me from the math class i'd actually signed up for and plopped me in this Developmental Psychology class. i do need the class for one of my majors, but i hadnt intended to take it right now and i dont know how i ended up in there.
since the class i'd originally signed up for was full by the time i realized there'd been a mistake, i just tried to roll with things and take the class.
it's a hybrid class, so most of it is online.
i'm not comfortable with that, AT ALL! it doesnt fit my learning style so even though i like the subject, i'm struggling with it. i never would have signed up for a hybrid class on my own.

anyway, i'm thinking about just dropping the class and taking the time off to get adjusted to my new work schedule. i can take it back up in January [along with the math class i'd been bounced from].
that's the good thing about working nights: i can fit my school schedule into my day without worrying about rushing home to get ready for work.

anyway, that's what i'm dealing with now.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Just_Sue wrote:
UGH. i'm a creature of habit and i need order. changes in my routine always throw me off kilter, but i've lived through them before...

Just like me, I am a serious creature of habit (and my wife is very spontaneous).

Sounds like a break in schooling might be a good idea, at least until you get used to those 12 hour shifts.

When I was in the Army I typcialy did 12 to 13 hour shifts 5 days a week (5am to 5 or 6pm). Even as a young man of 21 I had to take a break one night a week and go to bed early just to catch up on my sleep.

I say go easy on yourself for a little while until you get used to the change. Changes 676823

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23473
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Ugh! 12 hour shifts suck! I was never so glad to get out of Bridgestone and get away from those killer shifts. I am much happier as a youth pastor/substitute teacher.

I am a creature of habit, but I can also be quite spontaneous.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 am

12 hour shifts are tough.
For some things I need rules because if not I make a mess of it.
But I'm too spontaneous.
That's the problem of a lot of things no one can understand.
Back to top Go down
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 9:55 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
12 hour shifts are tough.
For some things I need rules because if not I make a mess of it.
But I'm too spontaneous.
That's the problem of a lot of things no one can understand.

i'll get used to it. having the days off is going to be great. i had yesterday off because of Rosh Hashana [i love working for a Jewish company] and i was so worn out that i couldnt muster the energy to do anything but sit around all day. i had plans but scrapped them all in favor of catching up on my rest.

i did get to watch Judge Judy yesterday.
Changes Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5332
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 pm

12 hour shifts are nasty. I know someone who does a similar work pattern to you Sue, 4 on, 4 off. It's like good and bad at the same time.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I have a friend who worked that same schedule, except it was 3pm to 3 am, four on, four off. He loved it, but it certainly isn't for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:38 pm

well, tonight begins my 12 hour night shift.
it was supposed to start back on Oct. 11th, but the day shift crowd got this wacky idea that they'd rather do a 2 day on, 2 day off schedule, so they'd get every other weekend off.
Changes Icon_evil
for us night shift workers, we hated that idea because we know our whole first day off is going to be spent zombified. we liked the 4 day on, 4 day off schedule better. we'd have 4 whole days to rest and enjoy ourselves.

well, long story short... it turned into a war with the day shift people starting a petition and waiting until the plant manager [who wanted the 4 day on, 4 day off schedule] to go on a 2 week vacation before going behind his back and faxing the petition to the home office of Gojo Industries [our bosses], in Ohio.

the big brass of Gojo descended like vultures on the area, put the scheduled shift change on hold and put it to a vote, telling us we'd all have a say before they made their decision.

day shift has more people than 2nd and 3rd shift put together. none of us on 2nd or 3rd wanted the 2 day on, 2 day off schedule, but we were outnumbered and ultimately, day shift got their way. we never even got to talk to anybody about WHY we preferred the 4 day on, 4 day off schedule. it was a health issue for us, but it was an issue of having weekends off to hit the clubs for most of the drunks on day shift.

another interesting sidenote: the day shift folks, looking to ease the sting of their betrayal to the plant manager, all got together and signed a syrup-y sweet birthday card for him to be given to him on his return. they went behind his back and stepped over his head to get their way, but a birthday card makes it ALL BETTER, right?
Changes Icon_rolleyes

maybe not.
i dont know if he ever got the card because part of the fallout of this little war they evoked was the man lost his job. he wasnt allowed to even step foot on the premises to gather his things after returning from vacation. he had no idea they'd gone behind his back and called down the Gojo brass on him.

oh, well. it's going to be a long night.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Wow, nasty company politics! Aren't you glad you don't work with any of the day people?

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 am

Sue, how was your first 12 hour shift?
Back to top Go down
Just_Sue

Just_Sue

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:22 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Sue, how was your first 12 hour shift?

long.

i stopped by my parents' place after work and i think Mama made me breakfast.
i think grits were involved.

i'll be losing consciousness now.
good night/morning, all.
Changes Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum