Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'Britain Day'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 am

You know what this means? Another holiday!!!!! I'm all for it!!!!!

From bbc.co.uk

Ministers proposing 'Britain Day'

'Britain Day' _43009083_kelly203 Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly says it could be a new bank holiday

A national day to promote a stronger sense of British identity, and prevent communities from becoming more divided, has been suggested by two ministers.
Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly and Immigration Minister Liam Byrne say it could be a new bank holiday.
Ms Kelly told the BBC: "The point of it would be to celebrate the contribution that we all make to society."
In a pamphlet on the plan the ministers also suggest immigrants could have the chance to "earn" British citizenship.
Under a points-based system, credit would be given to migrants for doing voluntary work but lost for breaking the law.
Ms Kelly told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that a Britain day would recognise the "local focus" of people's contribution to society in particular.

"It might be, for instance, that local areas come together, they decide for themselves about the contribution that they might make, " she said.
"And then people who live in that area would have the opportunity to get involved in local volunteering, local service to their neighbours, and to celebrate their sense of being a citizen of the country,".
'Neighbour contracts'
The two ministers say UK communities need a stronger sense of what they have in common, and they say the proposed national day would celebrate British values and achievements.
Mr Byrne said: "At a time when we face the threat of a new extremism, I just think it's important now for the law-abiding majority to stand up for the values that we've got in common.

'Britain Day' O
WHICH EVENT COULD DAY MARK?
Magna Carta: 27%
VE Day: 21%
D-Day: 14%
Armistice Day: 11%
Trafalgar victory: 10%
Slave trade abolished: 6%
Napoleon's defeat: 4%
Churchill's birth: 3%
Cromwellian republic: 2%
Reform Act: 2%

Source: BBC History magazine, 2006 survey

"One of the ways that we can do that is just taking a bit of time out each year to actually celebrate what we're proudest of in this country."
One of the ministers' suggestions is for "good neighbour contracts" setting out rights and duties for all people new to the UK.
Young people could receive "citizens' packs" when they come of age, setting out what is expected of adults.
These would give information on voter registration, volunteering opportunities and expectations of what they might be asked to undertake, such as jury service.
Debt of gratitude
Other suggestions for how Britain Day might take shape, made in the pamphlet for the left-of-centre think tank the Fabian Society, include:

<LI>Celebrating civic values, local heritage and opportunities to get involved in local life

<LI>Holding local "citizenship ceremonies"

<LI>Celebrating and promoting voluntary work in communities

<LI>Showing a debt of gratitude to war veterans who helped to secure freedoms

<LI>The Queen's state opening of Parliament speech could be followed by a "State of the Nation" address from the prime minister
'Recapture the flag'
Prime-minister-in-waiting Gordon Brown has himself previously floated the idea of day to promote the nation's identity.
In a speech in 2006, he said it was important the union jack was recaptured from the far-right and that promoting integration had become even more important since the previous year's 7 July London suicide bombings.
BBC News political editor Nick Robinson said Mr Brown has wondered privately why young British men blew themselves and their fellow citizens up, when in the US, where they celebrate their citizenship much more, young Muslim men had not done the same.
In 2006, a survey by BBC History magazine suggested the anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta in 1215 would be the most popular day for a Britain Day.
The 15 June date was favoured by 27% of the 5,002 people polled, ahead of VE Day (8 May) with 21%, and D-Day (6 June) with 14%.
</LI>

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 am

That's what we need here in the USA--more paid holidays.

I wonder if I could get my Congressman to support a bill requiring my employer to give me everyday as a paid holiday?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 am

Are there paid and not paid holydays in the USA?
Here all the holidays we have are paid days.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
That's what we need here in the USA--more paid holidays.

No kidding, I think we get 5 a year and that is it.

Quote :
Are there paid and not paid holydays in the USA?
Here all the holidays we have are paid days.

We have several holidays, that we do not get to take off from work with pay. It varies depending on your employer but the following is a sample of recognized U.S. Holidays that most people don't get a paid day off for

Father's Day
Mother's Day
Columbus Day
Valentines Day
Veteran's Day
St Patrick's Day
Passover
Good Friday
New Years Day

And there are probably many more.

--

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:40 pm

What about:

Christmas
New Year's Day
Thanksgiving Day

Where I work, I get paid holidays for:

New Year's Eve
New Year's Day
Easter (The US Gov't. recognizes Good Friday, but we voted at our plant to use that holiday on Sunday instead.)
Memorial Day
Independance Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving (not a federal holiday--I just get a paid day off!)
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Day after Christmas (neither Christmas eve or the day after are US holidays, but it's part of my union contract)

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

Fundy

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:54 pm

We call the day after Christmas Day, Boxing Day, (there is a reason for this, but I forget what it is), and that day is a paid holiday.

Fundy

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Quote :
Boxing Day, (there is a reason for this, but I forget what it is)

Well, according to M*A*S*H*, it is a day when employers and employees (masters and servants, etc) switch positions. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 2:05 am

I prefer to stay at home Tongue

Fundy

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
What about:

Christmas
New Year's Day
Thanksgiving Day

Well I was only trying to list the Holidays most people wouldn't get paid to have off.

Where I work (non-union btw) I get paid for the following holdays

New Year's Day
President's
Memorial Day
Independance Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day & the day after
Christmas Day

So it is actually 8 paid holidays (not as bad as I thought)

I also work in an office, so unlike Alldat's job at the plant, nobody here works on the weekends.

--

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 8:27 am

Wasn't Boxing day the day after Christmas that everyone could trade their Christimast gifts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

'Britain Day' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Britain Day'   'Britain Day' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Britain Day'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: