Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stapp

Go down 
+3
nazpastor
drumdude
ChosenOne
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 pm

I see that Scott Stapp is releasing a new album on Aug 8th. Know I am one of the last remaining Creed/Scott Stapp fans out there so I am looking forward to this album.

I went back and listen to the debut album and really got the sense that Scott is I think truly seeking out God. Just lyrically he really had something to say and it really seemed that God is what is missing in his life and he knows it. Now my brother claims (and he probably has a point) that Scott totally played to the Christian market with his album and especially with the song "the Great divide". I don't know maybe he did and maybe it was genuine. I like it,he can still sing and hopefully someday Scott will come back to God.
Back to top Go down
drumdude

drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:07 am

Your not the only fan out there. I hope he does turn his life back to God.
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 pm

From what I understood, he did turn his life back to God (he was raised in a Christian home and rebelled against his father and God for many years). That was why he left Creed and pursued a solo career (so the story went). Anyhow, he has battled drug and alcohol abuse for many years, including the time since he left Creed. I wouldn't want to try and judge his Christianity, but I do believe he is trying to do what God is calling him to do. I don't know what the new album might say lyrically, but I don't think anyone who had the secular fanbase that Creed had would walk away from the secular music lifestyle and support to become a "Christian" artist and play to that fanbase. There are way more people in the secular marketplace to play to than in the Christian marketplace. I believe taken the step toward the Christian marketplace indicates sincerity in trying to follow God, not trying to get a newer, smaller fan base.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 pm

nazpastor wrote:
There are way more people in the secular marketplace to play to than in the Christian marketplace. I believe taken the step toward the Christian marketplace indicates sincerity in trying to follow God, not trying to get a newer, smaller fan base.

Agreed.

I have heard some people question an artist's "salvation" or "beliefs". But it seems a little ridiculous to me that anyone would claim to be a Christian (when they were not) just in an effort to increase sales. I think it would probably hurt, rather than help their sales, since we are such a small market.

HolyRoller

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Quote :
I wouldn't want to try and judge his Christianity, but I do believe he is trying to do what God is calling him to do.

I have a hard time believing that. I also have a hard time believing that Stapp is on the road to becoming a christian artist regardless of his lyrical content. Scott has always been about playing it safe, at least lyrically.
Quote :
I believe taken the step toward the Christian marketplace indicates sincerity in trying to follow God, not trying to get a newer, smaller fan base
Did I miss something? How has he taken a step toward the christian marketplace?

Quote :
I have heard some people question an artist's "salvation" or "beliefs".

It is not his salvation or beliefs that I question, its his actions.

Quote :
But it seems a little ridiculous to me that anyone would claim to be a Christian (when they were not) just in an effort to increase sales.

You'd be surprised at how many people jumped on the christian metal bandwagon back in the 80's just to get a record deal. It was a fact that a mediocre band had a better chance at getting a deal with a christian label back in the day if they played up the whole christian band thing. But at the same time I must say that a lot of those folks were very young and a lot of them were "baby christians" that were not equipt to handle the full responsiblities of being a ministry.

All and all I dont want to come off as judging Scott but in reality I guess I am. All the tabloid hoopla made me turn the Stapp fan button off. I may be wrong on these acounts and will stand corrected if someone chooses to put me in my place. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I'd say that Stapp is going to be lyrically about the same as he was with Creed. Many of Creed's lyrics were definitely about seeking God, and even living through doubts. I would have to think that those themes would be great for people who are curious about Christ or are just searching but don't know for what.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 pm

I believe taken the step toward the Christian marketplace indicates sincerity in trying to follow God, not trying to get a newer, smaller fan base

Did I miss something? How has he taken a step toward the christian marketplace?

Mostly in the since that if you check out the lyrics on his solo album you can see very much so of how they can be god centered lyrics. Just check out the song 'The Great Divide" I know he won't market himself as a christian artist I'm just saying there is a man searching and who knows maybe he will realize that a relationship with Jesus Christ is the only thing that will get him thru his troubles and turn his life around
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23429
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:59 am

HolyRoller wrote:
You'd be surprised at how many people jumped on the christian metal bandwagon back in the 80's just to get a record deal. It was a fact that a mediocre band had a better chance at getting a deal with a christian label back in the day if they played up the whole christian band thing.

Ok, but that was waaayyy back in the 80's. I don't see any band doing that now. Heck half (or more) the younger Christian bands are trying to down play their "faith" so they can blend in with the secular bands and boost sales or reach a broader audience (or whatever).
I have no idea if Stapp is a professing Christian or not. If he is trying to market himself as a Christian or "Born Again" (and I have no idea if he is or not). I certainly don't think that is going to do anything to help his sales. Not in this decade.

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:57 am

Staybrite wrote:
HolyRoller wrote:
You'd be surprised at how many people jumped on the christian metal bandwagon back in the 80's just to get a record deal. It was a fact that a mediocre band had a better chance at getting a deal with a christian label back in the day if they played up the whole christian band thing.

Ok, but that was waaayyy back in the 80's. I don't see any band doing that now. Heck half (or more) the younger Christian bands are trying to down play their "faith" so they can blend in with the secular bands and boost sales or reach a broader audience (or whatever).
I have no idea if Stapp is a professing Christian or not. If he is trying to market himself as a Christian or "Born Again" (and I have no idea if he is or not). I certainly don't think that is going to do anything to help his sales. Not in this decade.
I agree. Also they weren't bands/singers that had already had a huge record deal and were very well known. Wink
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:04 pm

OK, I found the article from a few years back that was in Christianity today. You can read it for yourselves and see what you think. I stand by my earlier post though and it is in large part because I chose to believe Stapp is what he says he is. A person who believes, but still struggles with the flesh.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/interviews/2004/scottstapp-0804.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stapp   Stapp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stapp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: