Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cloud Storage?

Go down 
+5
Jen5
deathisgain
topshot rhit
Fundy
Staybrite
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 am

Ok who uses cloud storage for music/picture/document files?
Who do you use or recommend?

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 11:28 am

I don't (much)... but I know in the end we all will to a greater or lesser extent.  Some of my files are backed up to OneDrive automatically, and after a number of computer crashes over the years, it does take the panic out of living with an old computer, but at the moment I just use my hard drive and an external drive for safety!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 11:56 am

I also don't (much). Google Drive for the little stuff I do on my phone and the finance spreadsheet for our Scout unit so everyone can view it.

I know some people are anti-Google but I believe ANY cloud host will harvest info on you unless you are encrypting before uploading. MAYBE they won't with a paid account but how would you truly know? I expect my main email account (Gmail) is not all that private in reality.

alldatndensum and Staybrite like this post

Back to top Go down
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I mainly use hard drives. If you have Amazon Prime, they give you free storage for photos and some video.

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys.
I have an external hard drive with about 400GB of backed up photos, music and files, but it was acting up this morning (oddly enough working now though).  In addition I have two hard-drives on my CPU one of which I only use as a second copy of what is only my external drive.  So I figured I'm covered (unless we have a fire)....but last night my CPU was acting funny so I'm expecting it to tank soon.  Between that and this morning's problem with my external HD I was wondering if I should be thinking cloud storage.  Seems like most of them you have to pay for above 15-50GB of storage.

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Cloud storage can certainly be convenient but would also be pretty slow if you actually needed to recover a drive's worth of data. Think of having to download 1 TB of files. For personal usage most may not care about that.

I use a pair of external drives for my file backups and a pair for my image backups.

Just as a point of note, a CPU is just the processor that "runs" your desktop/laptop/notebook. It's not likely that the CPU is about to die. There are several reasons a computer would act funny so hard to say without knowing more.

alldatndensum and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 9:53 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Cloud storage can certainly be convenient but would also be pretty slow if you actually needed to recover a drive's worth of data. Think of having to download 1 TB of files. For personal usage most may not care about that.

I use a pair of external drives for my file backups and a pair for my image backups.

Just as a point of note, a CPU is just the processor that "runs" your desktop/laptop/notebook. It's not likely that the CPU is about to die. There are several reasons a computer would act funny so hard to say without knowing more.

I have know idea why I typed CPU (central processing unit), when I meant was "desktop".
The last time I had a computer make funny noises like what my current desktop did (last night) I ended up having a fried mother-board.  So at least then I was able to recover the data on my hard drive.

I think I will probably just invest in another 1TB hard-drive and should probably be alright for the next several years.

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 4:19 am

I use an external drive for back ups (every 2 hours) but for all music collaborations I live on Google Drive and/or Dropbox, depending on who I am working with. Song tracks are so huge and each song has dozens of tracks so there really isn't much option except cloud storage.

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 11:22 am

TB's of music on external hard drives. GB's of pictures on OneDrive. Clips on FB.
I save nothing on my computers.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 7:34 pm

I keep it all in my head.  That way it can't be hacked.

Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
crucifyd

crucifyd

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Xid wrote:
I keep it all in my head.  That way it can't be hacked.

...yet

Back to top Go down
http://www.crucifyd.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 am

I don't use cloud storage.
We have an external HD.
And a NAS.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 11:18 am

On a completely unrelated note... I love your new avatar RockerVu2.  Is it a pretty painted cow from the Alps?

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 7:20 pm

Staybrite wrote:
The last time I had a computer make funny noises like what my current desktop did (last night) I ended up having a fried mother-board.

Probably a fan going bad if it was making odd noises. Unless you don't have an SSD nothing else should be making any noise at all.

Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 am

One thing I don't like about cloud storage is that if your internet goes down you can't access your stuff.

Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Just got an email from the company that made my NAS saying that they are no longer supporting it. It's been a few years. I guess I'll be hunting for a new one.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Staybrite, the cow and I have met on a terrace of a restaurant by the Aletsch Glacier.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cloud Storage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Storage?   Cloud Storage? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cloud Storage?
Page 1 of 1