Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD

Go down 
+5
Through The Dark Radio
Jen5
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
Staybrite
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23433
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 am

Jen5 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Jen5 wrote:
Sauerkraut with bacon. Sacrilegious to eat sauerkraut without bacon!
Apple pie and vanilla ice-cream
Barbecued steak MUST have barbecued onions to go with it   Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Oh wow, sauerkraut with bacon sounds really good.  I have actually fried sliced cabbage with bacon before and that is really good.
My father always wants his apple pie warm with a slice of cheddar cheese on it.  Rolling Eyes
How do you BBQ/grill onions and not have them fall into the coals?  I have sliced them and put them on skewers before to grill and they turn out pretty good that way (but you do need to add a little oil to them so they don't dry out too bad).
My Mum likes cheese on her apple pie too. Very weird. Though a slice of cheese with apple is nice, why ruin apple pie {insert angelic chorus here} with a slice of cheese. I don't get it.
Onions? I have a cast iron plate I place on the grill. Works a treat. They get that smokey flavour without the char from flame.

Try this and you will never look at sauerkraut in the same way:
Medium heat, fry one onion (I use olive oil, but butter is good too, provided you keep the heat low and don't scorch it). Add bacon chopped (I use kitchen scissors, chopping strait into the pan). I don't serve this with crispy bacon. If you want crispy you should start the bacon on higher heat before adding the onion and turning the heat down 
Add fermented sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
stir in a dollop of butter and some brown sugar (a couple tablespoons is what I use but some people like it sweeter)
cook until kraut starts to darken
add a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar (white vinegar or wine vinegar works in a pinch)
cook the liquid down. 
S&P to taste

Oh man I have to try that recipe (I'm gonna do it this weekend).  I never would have thought to add brown sugar, but with the apple cider vinegar to help balance a little sour with the sweet.... oh yum it sounds amazing!  
Since Mrs Staybrite will be gone this weekend I will do it with the real sauerkraut.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 1:45 am

Xid wrote:
Whenever I have Cheerios I have to have milk on them.

Yeah, I think there are very few varieties of cereal I could tolerate without milk

Xid wrote:
The off-brands can be.

Beer Battered Fish:  Gotta have tartar sauce.

Absolutely!  Cannot eat battered and fried cod/halibut without some tartar sauce.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 9:02 am

For me it's better not to look what you all love to eat.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 pm

Some years I tried to smoke salmon.
I made a smoke oven from a bowl, put wood in it and put on the gas.
The fire alarm went of, the kitchen was fuul of smoke.
I finished the salmon in the oven.

Hmm, to smoke fish or briskit you really need a special oven.

Last edited by rockerVu2 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 4:06 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Oh no. The fire alarm went off?!
Great story, Yvonne.
But how did you get the wood to stop smoking without drowning your fish in water?

We smoke fish outside on the barbecue
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm not a fan of salmon.  I have smoked (and grilled) some for my wife, but I don't like the way it tastes.  I usually make myself some shrimp or even halibut when my wife wants salmon.
Sorry to hear what happened to your kitchen.  I'll bet that didn't smell good for awhile.  But I bet you get a good laugh out of it now.

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm

I grew up on the west coast of Canada. Salmon was for my family like potatoes is for the Irish. My dad would go on a big fishing trip with a friend. They'd freeze whole salmon straight from the sea, each encased in an ice block several inches thick. We'd have these big blocks of whole fish in our freezer. Tasted just like it was freshly caught.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 pm

Hashbrowns & ketchup.  I'm talking about real hasbrowns made from scratch.  Not those molded tater-tot patties like at McDonald's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Jen5 wrote:
I grew up on the west coast of Canada. Salmon was for my family like potatoes is for the Irish. My dad would go on a big fishing trip with a friend. They'd freeze whole salmon straight from the sea, each encased in an ice block several inches thick. We'd have these big blocks of whole fish in our freezer. Tasted just like it was freshly caught.

Yeah we would get a lot of salmon here in Western Washington as well.  The Native Americans would catch tons of them in their nets and sell it daily out of the back of their truck.  My mother cooked it at least once a month, but I still never developed a taste for it.

Xid wrote:
Hashbrowns & ketchup.  I'm talking about real hasbrowns made from scratch.  Not those molded tater-tot patties like at McDonald's.

So not the ones that come frozen in a red bag? Laughing

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Staybrite wrote:

Quote :

There is nobody on the PLANET who could make hashbrowns as good as my Daddy. It's my story and I'm sticking to it!   Smile Very Happy Laughing

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 am

Jen5 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Quote :

There is nobody on the PLANET who could make hashbrowns as good as my Daddy. It's my story and I'm sticking to it!   Smile Very Happy Laughing
No red bags.  I don't mind who holds the title for "Best Hashbrowner" as long as I may have some.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 7:04 am

Jen5 wrote:
That reminds me of something totally unrelated to the topic at hand but I wanted to share. When I was a kid my best friend went fishing (Tennessee). He ended up keeping a large fish in his garage freezer for a long time. He caught it in the winter. During the summer months while we were out of school we were bored (who wasn't as a kid on a long summer day?). We looked in the freezer and saw that fish in a block of ice. He said we needed to do something with the fish. So later on when we went back out side I noticed one of the neighbors had a pool. I said "Wouldn't it be funny if we came out after dark and threw that fish in their pool? The ice would melt and tomorrow they would find a big surprise and have no idea how a fish got in their pool!". So later that night we were off to the races! We snuck to the pool and tossed the fish in quietly laughing. Later the next day in the hot Tennessee summer sun we were out riding our bikes and had view of their backyard. We weren't watching by any means, just out circling the dead end of the street but we could see their backyard. Then one of the kids came out and saw the fish in the pool. He freaked out and went and got some brothers and sisters (probably 4-5 kids) and they were all saying "there's a fish in the pool! How do we get it out??" and were running around looking at it wondering how it got in the pool. We laughed so hard! Thanks for reminding me of this memory! hahaaha!  Laughing

Staybrite and rockerVu2 like this post

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 1:10 pm

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 1:17 pm

I can't remember that Jen.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm

I hope it did not smell the house up too much. Smoke gets into everything

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Wow Mike, you got into a lot of trouble as a kid!  Laughing

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 12:09 am

now who said he got into trouble? Did he get caught???? Hmmmmmmm?

Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1451
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 5:51 am

😜😁
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 6:24 am

Jen, days later you could smell the smoke in the kitchen
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Jen5 wrote:
now who said he got into trouble? Did he get caught???? Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, he "caused" a lot of trouble.  Tongue

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Yep. Just caused the chaos, never caught for it!

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD   Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dumb Kwestion #54..... FOOD
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2